Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I bought CE and started to play...

RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200

Hi, like title says I went to local shop and bought the Collector's Edition couple of weeks ago because it was so damn cheap I felt it was almost a rip off. I'm coming from games like Anarchy Online and EVE Online and I totally knew where I was going with SWTOR. I knew I will be going to theme park land with a Star Wars skin.

So, I first rolled a Sith Inquisitor and when I hit level 10 I chose to go for Assassin. My main goal was to play together with my brother who rolled an Imperial Agent and chose Operative as his advanced class. Well, we played together until we were around 20, then I felt I would prefer more ranged class and I rolled a Bounty Hunter and chose my AC to be Mercenary. My brother hasn't logged in anymore and I'm level 33 with my Merc now. And I'm really starting to get bored.

At first all the cut scenes felt nice (and the fact you were able to be in Star Wars world) but after initial experience I started to loathe the cut scenes, really. Even my class story cutscenes don't get me impressed anymore. And when you realise the fact if you take off all the cut scenes the quests/missions are just the usual stuff go there, fetch this, kill this and that. Even the planets (zones) are quite small and I'm feeling I'm moving from one shoebox to another farming commendations for equipment/mods and at right level move to next planet. Also, my current class quest with my BH is bugged and I found out the same bug has been there from December 2011 :(

What comes to optimization, I started to get 30 fps occasionally on Alderaan and I'm running the game with i7 3770k OC'ed @4,5 GHz , 680 GTX, 16 GB mem, game is installed on SSD...  so...

TL;DR

In the end the game really feels like an average single player game. Just wanted to inform people who are still on the fence with this game :) I might be trying to get my Merc to level cap (while playing another game as my main game) but not sure If I manage to. Especially if my brother has quit lol.

Comments

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115

This is the problem of Star Wars. It is unimportant what you do or how you do it.

The cut scenes are great and I really miss that feature in Eve Online. But the NPC always tells you unimportant things. The quests are more or less go and kill 10 rats. If you do, the conflict/war/whatever does not change. If not, the conflict/war/whatever does not change neither

The complete world feels boring. You are not in a war or in a conflict. You cannot win the conflict by killing enemies or solving tasks.

Additional there are missing features. Every class can make the same things, does not matter if you are a sith or a bounty hunter. More sandbox and a living world and Star wars would be the game of the decade

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by pwain

This is the problem of Star Wars. It is unimportant what you do or how you do it.

Additional there are missing features. Every class can make the same things, does not matter if you are a sith or a bounty hunter. More sandbox and a living world and Star wars would be the game of the decade

Couldn't said it better. That's just I feel it  with this game. Not sure, but I think even everyone of the classes has some kind of stun and/or knockback in his/her toolset. PvP is your typical bunnyhopping combat taking place in instanced warzones with no real  consequences. Correct if I'm wrong. Illum (or what was the place called) is your only FFA zone? But again, no consequences there either?

That said I think this game is more for storytelling and PvE, but I find even this side of game very lacking unfortunately.
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

For me this was a game worth playing for a month only.  What bioware screwed the pooch on is that they drove the game with a theme park story which was sort of fun and worth doing but then failed to deliver as good a quality once completed.  They left the gamers with practically what wow leaves you with (dailies, raids and battlegrounds) except if wow is gourmet what we got from bioware was kebab van.  Lets be honest here why play an inferior product.

What new developers of games are forgetting and its a harsh lesson.  If you front load content via levels when gamers complete that content if you do not have satisfying things to do and aim for after that is used up then you will get the situation we have here.

TSW is another one, absolutely awesome game better than swtor imo but the end game is dungeons/bgs/small open world pvp and skill grind.  At least their engine was better though.

One of the crippling factors of SWTOR wasn't even the content it was the engine and lag performance issues.  It was so bad they had to pull ilum planet on live and over night killed the daily quests there.

• PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from wasting $150 on the CE and spent that money on the cash shop in GW2. 

The SWTOR CE was the biggest waste of money for a mmo game I spent since AoC CE.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Thats the way new mmo's are going and its sad. Story isnt everything in a mmo. You need a good balance between story, game, pve, pvp, crtafting, exploration, fun, and much much more. Sadly these games just dont offer that and dry up pretty fast.

But a lot of people like these style games, just hurts the other half of the player base that want more from their mmorpg's.

• EvgireonEvgireon Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by adeptuz

This is the problem of Star Wars. It is unimportant what you do or how you do it.   Additional there are missing features. Every class can make the same things, does not matter if you are a sith or a bounty hunter. More sandbox and a living world and Star wars would be the game of the decade

Couldn't said it better. That's just I feel it  with this game. Not sure, but I think even everyone of the classes has some kind of stun and/or knockback in his/her toolset. PvP is your typical bunnyhopping combat taking place in instanced warzones with no real  consequences. Correct if I'm wrong. Illum (or what was the place called) is your only FFA zone? But again, no consequences there either?

In addition to Ilum there's Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine, Alderaan, Quesh, Hoth, Belsavis, Corellia, unless you're playing on a carebear server.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

The cut scenes are great and I really miss that feature in Eve Online. But the NPC always tells you unimportant things. The quests are more or less go and kill 10 rats. If you do, the conflict/war/whatever does not change. If not, the conflict/war/whatever does not change neither

The complete world feels boring. You are not in a war or in a conflict. You cannot win the conflict by killing enemies or solving tasks.

Star Wars Galaxies sandbox with the swtor graphics/warzones/dungeons....that would finish it for me.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke

Star Wars Galaxies sandbox with the swtor graphics/warzones/dungeons....that would finish it for me.

Hmm, I find SWTOR's graphics below average. But that's my opinion.

Originally posted by Evgireon

In addition to Ilum there's Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine, Alderaan, Quesh, Hoth, Belsavis, Corellia, unless you're playing on a carebear server.

Yeh, but what's the point? Just for the sake of pvp'ing? Sorry but I need goals when I'm pvp'ing like territorial control, looting my victims etc etc. Just killing other players or to get killed by other players is not my thing. Otherwise I would be playing first person shooters.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

Everything you mentioned that you dislike, I absolutely love. So it's one person's opinion over another. I tell people that if they're on the fence to try it out. As of last night, there are 17 new people in my guild that never played because of all the negativity in the forums. Since it went F2P, they tried it out and are loving it, wishing they wouldn't have listen to the nay sayers a year ago.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Just wanted to inform people who are still on the fence with this game :)

Ah nice of you, but you been late, young Jedi.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    It looks that you don't like theme park mmo's. I like swtor very much and i found class story very amazing. Leveled sith assasin to 50 and  soome other classes btw 30-40. It is not perfect  mmo as wow but there is to much hate for that game what  i think is to exaggerated. On my list  of all time swtor is on 3th place behind wow and eve online
  • LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    glad I beta tested without paying anything; uninstalled the game after 1 hour of trying to like the game
  • PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Paddyspub

I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from wasting $150 on the CE and spent that money on the cash shop in GW2. 

The SWTOR CE was the biggest waste of money for a mmo game I spent since AoC CE.

I wish I could do that for most games these days *sigh*

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

said it before.. will say it again.

(imagine this text on some lame meme image if it helps you)

Bought a BioWare game

Supprised it plays like one

That is pretty much all i can say about it. Was a great deal on the CE though.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by zomard100
    It looks that you don't like theme park mmo's. I like swtor very much and i found class story very amazing. Leveled sith assasin to 50 and  soome other classes btw 30-40. It is not perfect  mmo as wow but there is to much hate for that game what  i think is to exaggerated. On my list  of all time swtor is on 3th place behind wow and eve online

Exactly where I would put SWTOR in my rankings. WoW is my all time favorite since I played it for 6 years, but with WoW, enough was enough, it was time to move on. Cata killed it for me and i had hoped MoP would resurect my love for the game, but I couldn't get past the Panda land.

Eve, Been playing it for a few years now, on and off, love it.

SWTOR, I've been playing non-stop since release with no signs of slowing down. I spent my first year as an Imp, tanking with my Jugg and PT, pvp'ing with my Sniper. Great times. I just rolled my first Republic toon, a Shadow, and i'm enjoying the change of scenery.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Elevenb4

Exactly where I would put SWTOR in my rankings. WoW is my all time favorite since I played it for 6 years, but with WoW, enough was enough, it was time to move on. Cata killed it for me and i had hoped MoP would resurect my love for the game, but I couldn't get past the Panda land.

SWTOR, I've been playing non-stop since release with no signs of slowing down. I spent my first year as an Imp, tanking with my Jugg and PT, pvp'ing with my Sniper. Great times. I just rolled my first Republic toon, a Shadow, and i'm enjoying the change of scenery.

Or it could be that both of you just like a turd of a mmo. SWTOR plays more like a single player game then a mmo. If people in this genre want to play a single player game with a story a mode they will play Skyrim.

Originally posted by f0dell54

Or it could be that both of you just like a turd of a mmo. SWTOR plays more like a single player game then a mmo. If people in this genre want to play a single player game with a story a mode they will play Skyrim.

My raiding 3 times a week, pvping in Warzones and my 20 vs 20 world pvp on Tatooine the other day says otherwise. But again, you're entitled to you opinion although I don't know what you're basing it on. My experience has been vastly different.

Oh, and I love Skyrim, 500+ hours played lol. Had to say it since you mentioned my all time favorite non-online PC game. Not trying to derail the topic, but I'm hoping ESO delivers.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

I have always wondered why people will drop the rediculous amounts of cash on a CE.  Especially for a brand new game.  I know it's your money & you spend it how you will, but comments like this always seem to follow.  

Maybe it's because I'm married with 3 kids & my wife would throw the jewels down the garbage disposal if I spent that kind of cash on a game /shrug

Originally posted by Latronus

I have always wondered why people will drop the rediculous amounts of cash on a CE.  Especially for a brand new game.  I know it's your money & you spend it how you will, but comments like this always seem to follow.  

Maybe it's because I'm married with 3 kids & my wife would throw the jewels down the garbage disposal if I spent that kind of cash on a game /shrug

I love SWTOR and I'm in the same boat. Unless you're an avid Star Wars collector and wanted the statue, why would you throw down that much money on a game before playing it? BUT, I might think that way because I have 2 kids and a wife lol. Sometimes I don't know if marriage changed me for the better or worse!? kidding of course, I love my family.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Latronus

I love SWTOR and I'm in the same boat. Unless you're an avid Star Wars collector and wanted the statue, why would you throw down that much money on a game before playing it? BUT, I might think that way because I have 2 kids and a wife lol. Sometimes I don't know if marriage changed me for the better or worse!? kidding of course, I love my family.

LoL!!!  Maybe you are correct, maybe being married has something to do with it.  I too love my family and wouldn't trade them for anything.

It is not perfect  mmo as wow but there is to much hate for that game what  i think is to exaggerated.

Hate is such a strong word. Heh, I don't hate the game. I just find it reaaally boring to play. And there are a lot of things missing. I wouldn't go that far calling SWTOR inferior product. What it does it does ok, being single player game with co-op options. Again this is how I see it. People who can enjoy this game, more power to you. I just can't enjoy it.