Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would I like this game?

MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

I've posted what I enjoy about a 100 times on these forums and I'm kind of sick of it so please bare with me :) 

I'm definitely old school. I liked everquest and was addicted (still am) to FFXI. There are numerous things that stuck out in these games. They were very difficult. You often died and were not always sure how to complete a task. You often grouped with people to do quests, to level up, or to do a guild event. The journey to the top was at least as fun as the endgame. There was a death penalty that made you cringe when you died. There were hardly any instances.

Would I like Asherons Call?

Comments

• doomspectredoomspectre Member Posts: 12

It seems you have at least one requirement for getting into AC and that is time to sit down and really play it. I personally can't imagine getting into this game with modern tastes, but you'll have a hundred people on here who played this in the late 90's early 2000s who swear by it including me. The social aspect to this game has dissolved into the use of bots for anything from buffing to buying/selling, but I'm sure you could find an allegiance up for questing/leveling/pvping. AC isn't (and never was!) exceedingly difficult, but the group-to-win mentality went out the door long ago. You're going to find this game is very soloable with the right spells and buffs. 

Just give it a shot with the free trial. Best advice anyone will give you. 

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

yes i think you would as long as you dont go to darktide.

asherons call is one of the truly unique combat mmo games ever.  with the right build and the right buffs you can solo alot of stuff.  some stuff still requires grouping though but for normal farming and hunting you can generally get by solo. 

the death penalty wont really make you cringe but it does hurt, you lose 5 percent to all your stats until you work it off through earning exp.  i am currently playing and find there is plenty to do solo or with a group and i never have problems finding a group really.  solclaim and frostfell are probably two of the more active pve servers.  darktide is full ffa pvp.  it is also full loot for the items that you do drop which is dependent on your level, you will drop so many items per level and only stuff that is not attuned or bonded to you.  my advice is not to play on darktide though until you get alot more familiar with the game but if you like punishment and find a need to flog yourself repeatedly or if you just hate yourself darktide might be a good place for you. 

all in all asherons call has improved alot for the newbie player, it doesnt take nowhere near as long as it used to gain levels but the game stil requires a decent time investment but the most important thing to me is the is fun, it doesnt hold your hand from questpoint to questpoint, it requires adventure and exploration and you always know death could be lurking just over the next hill or around the next bend in the dungeon, at least until you know what is around that next bend or hill that is.  im having a blast myself and about to hit level 90 and i can still only adventure in about 1/10 of the gameworld safely.  max level is 275 with several things you can do to enhance your character further after that so level 90 is still kind of a newbie.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Magiknight

I've posted what I enjoy about a 100 times on these forums and I'm kind of sick of it so please bare with me :) 

I'm definitely old school. I liked everquest and was addicted (still am) to FFXI. There are numerous things that stuck out in these games. They were very difficult. You often died and were not always sure how to complete a task. You often grouped with people to do quests, to level up, or to do a guild event. The journey to the top was at least as fun as the endgame. There was a death penalty that made you cringe when you died. There were hardly any instances.

Would I like Asherons Call?

If you play without buff bots/hand me downs/etc. the game has a very enjoyable level of difficulty. The majority of players who come back find out about buff bots (will cast level 7 buffs on a lowbie character which will then make low levels very easy) and then rush through everything as fast as they can.

You can typically find an active allegiance and do group stuff. There are more quests at the higher end that groups tend to get together for but at the same time you never have to group to get things in this game.

In the end isn't it worth trying out for a month to see how it goes and if you like it you keep going, if not you move on. It is the only way to know for sure. Not to mention you can also try AC2 while you're at it.