Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please people, tell me you're not ignorant and gullible, PLEASE!

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Boonshniggle

If you think this will play anything remotely like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim and with MMO elements, you are going to be setting yourself up for a world of disappointment.

I would like somebody, or even the OP to explain to me, what

"remotely like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim and with MMO elements"

means? can you paint a picture of what this would be like based on this quote?

what does these Elder Scroll games do that hasnt been done already in most MMORPGs?

looking at Darkfall for example, just about everything I can do in Skyrim I can do in Darkfall.

Doesnt make Darkfall all that, but honestly dont see where the MMO Elder Scrolls getting all the hype. Elder Scrolls is just popular recently this gen for being an Open World RPG on consoles. Console being the leading platform of the game.

Only Sandbox elements come from Modding which cant be done on the system the Elder Scroll game is most popular on. So Sandbox was never a major selling factor of this IP.

So please explain the quote. What does these past Elder Scroll games do that set them apart from anything most current gen MMORPG already do?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129

I really hope gamers learned from SWTOR and not listen to any hype, especially when a franchise you love is at stake. Please, be critical and logical and don't let your hope blind your logic and judgement.

Wouldn't that just further motivate someone to follow a product, if the integrity of their favorite franchise was at stake?  Telling someone to ignore it, is probably the worst thing to do.  Wouldn't you like to know if they portrayed the Akaviri as pandas from some misty island to the far east of Tamriel?  lol

• PairadoxPairadox Member Posts: 4

What I don't understand is people saying "They can't make the game like Skyrim, because Skyrim is a single player game." ...

Well okay, sure, maybe not exactly. But there are other games out there right now already that have a style that isn't unlike Skyrim, just not with the Elder Scrolls lore. The fact that they decided to go the themepark route is well and good with me, but don't lie and say you can't do it one way when it's already being done that way.

As a prime example, look at Mortal Online. The game is twitch based combat, just like Elder Scrolls. Maybe not well done (the company might not be the best one out there behind the helm), but the IDEA is there, and it basically works. If you slapped the elder scrolls lore onto that game, and had a big company backing it (not the small indie company behind it now), you could make the game that everybody was crying that it wasn't in the first place.

Don't lie and say you can't. That's just a slap in the face. Tell it like it is. You won't because themepark is established and less risky. Some fat cat with marketing charts, not the fans dictated how this game would turn out.

That being said, I'll end up buying and playing it just because it says elder scrolls on it.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Pairadox

What I don't understand is people saying "They can't make the game like Skyrim, because Skyrim is a single player game." ...

Well okay, sure, maybe not exactly. But there are other games out there right now already that have a style that isn't unlike Skyrim, just not with the Elder Scrolls lore. The fact that they decided to go the themepark route is well and good with me, but don't lie and say you can't do it one way when it's already being done that way.

As a prime example, look at Mortal Online. The game is twitch based combat, just like Elder Scrolls. Maybe not well done (the company might not be the best one out there behind the helm), but the IDEA is there, and it basically works. If you slapped the elder scrolls lore onto that game, and had a big company backing it (not the small indie company behind it now), you could make the game that everybody was crying that it wasn't in the first place.

Don't lie and say you can't. That's just a slap in the face. Tell it like it is. You won't because themepark is established and less risky. Some fat cat with marketing charts, not the fans dictated how this game would turn out.

That being said, I'll end up buying and playing it just because it says elder scrolls on it.

What the world are you describing? Only unique thing that skyrim has that no other MMO has, as you explained is the lore.

so is that the only part of elder scrolls that define Skyrim to you? Because like you stated, just about every gameplay feature in skyrim is in other MMO, like Darkfall for example. Only this is it doesn't have Elder Scroll's lore.

if that gameplay was so interesting to you, why isn't you playing mortal online and Darkfall?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Karteli

This game won't be like Skyrim, and from the footage shown, Bethesda / Zenimax isn't even trying to be Skyrim.  They *want* to be a nice Elder Scrolls MMO .. and the environment graphics looks nice, for sure ..

But look at the animations in their trailers.  Take a hard look.  It's about the flexibility of your character during combat ...  it's all about particle effects.  LOTS of particle effects.  Flashy stuff.  Those particle effects cover up the lack-luster mobility of your avatar.

They squeezed those portions out of the trailers, but even the 1 or 2 second clips of combat were highly disappointing.  It's WoW all over, each character just stands there and swings weapons, while taking hits... the solution?  Add particle effects, all the swirly animations and dazzling dots that cover your screen.

L .. A .. M .. E

You do realize that character animations are amongst the last things getting polished, right? Look at SWTOR and GW2 early footages. SWTOR's were choppy as hell, while GW2 characters were floating/skating all the time. 

I voiced these concerns on many forums and was very sceptical especially about GW2 floating, but they have proven me wrong when game went live.

As long as TESO developers implements casting/swinging while moving, I'm not worried.

About OP's post, it's clear that he didn't read any info on game or is trolling hard. This game  has more similarities to Skyrim than anybody actually expected: no class limitations on armor or weapons, stamina for running and dodging, sneak, only 3 stats: stamina, health, magicka + armor&weapon power, reticule aiming, as many caves as in single player TES games. Also, no quest hubs but quest layout similar to GW2 heart quests.

The only thing that I'm concerned is exploration/world design part, which they announced. If roaming the world is similar to GW2, WoW etc, I'm Ok with it. If they pull SWTOR's maps' with canyons and no way to stray off beaten path, i'm definitely not buying it.

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by DeniZg

Also, no quest hubs but quest layout similar to GW2 heart quests.

Actually I hope that you are wrong regarding this one. Don't take me wrong but as much as I don't like hubs the way how it's done in GW2 is pretty much same. Specifics (how you get tasks to do) changed but general mechanics are no different. Still same old go to village A, do stuff, finish, go to B and never come back to A. Less linear than in other themeparks out there but still not enough. It won't take long before ppl start realising that (perhaps they even already started).

What I really expect regarding quests is that they will be handled same way as in other TES games. Quest givers exist but totally no to little hubs.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    They already said questing would be similar to the single player games. You have to actually talk to various NPC's to find out if they have something that needs doing. And when you come across a point of interest (a cave for example), there may be an NPC standing outside that needs your help to go find something or someone in the cave. And while you will have a compass that points you in the direction of nearby points of interest, you have the option of turning it off if you want to.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by MyTabbycat
    They already said questing would be similar to the single player games. You have to actually talk to various NPC's to find out if they have something that needs doing. And when you come across a point of interest (a cave for example), there may be an NPC standing outside that needs your help to go find something or someone in the cave. And while you will have a compass that points you in the direction of nearby points of interest, you have the option of turning it off if you want to.

Why do they need an npc standing outside? is the cave not inviting enough to explore?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Nitth

Why do they need an npc standing outside? is the cave not inviting enough to explore?

They might not be allowed into the cave becuase they are the wrong faction and need help getting something :(

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

They might not be allowed into the cave becuase they are the wrong faction and need help getting something :(

at least its a radical new design that stays in line with the spirit of elder scrolls.

Oh wait we have already been informed:

its not possible

it is possible but we dont want it

its not why people play elder scrolls

fan base shut the F8ck up

and finally

reasons..

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

He could be inside. The point is, either way, he won't have a giant exclamation mark over his head. You'll have to actually talk to him to find out if he has anything for you to do.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I don't care if this game is WoW with TESO skins lol. With all the junk thats came out lately its a guaranteed 60$ worth of fun!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Some of us are withholding judgement until we see it a bit closer to launch.

These are my thoughts as well. I think it would be wise to wait until we near launch before we get too critical.

• chromekatanachromekatana Member Posts: 36

All of you havn't mentioned the most important, game-breaking feature. The feature that, if not implemented, myriads upon myriads of people will boycott the game.

Whether or not they are going to have spears.

Originally posted by chromekatana

All of you havn't mentioned the most important, game-breaking feature. The feature that, if not implemented, myriads upon myriads of people will boycott the game.

Whether or not they are going to have spears.

And here I thought you were talking about sweetrolls.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i will buy the game and see for myself as i never listen to the opinions of whiners.

i never expect to play a theme park style game more than a couple months at a time anymore so longevity isn't an issue for me.

also, from the interviews i have seen and read, it actually does play like an ES game.

maybe not exactly but it does have similarities. if that's an issue for you oh well, you can go cry about it some more then go cry about the next title you will be disappointed with as well.

its a never ending cycle.

• FascinezFascinez Member Posts: 12
    Just another combat only game.  oh, joy. *sighs*
  • samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

I'm keeping an eye on this title just because it seems to feature core mechanics of daoc (faction segregation, 3-way rvr, siege etc) as well as the team being lead by one of daoc designers who left mythic before its downfall.

I couldn't care less what lore is based on (or not), and all these "asks us anything" interview that are all about lore zealots and fanatics pointing out timelines and genealogies and if those city ruins are more or less ancient in TESO or Skyrim make me laugh: seriously guys, get a life.

If it delivers what I've been waiting years for someone to deliver, good.

If not, too bad: yet another missed opportunity to fill a niche market that has been left with nothing to play for too long.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Mark my words, this will be a standard cookie cutter MMO. It will not have anything revolutionary, at least not in any big way. The Elder Scrolls brand is being used as nothing but Lore and an Atmosphere for their world. The game itself will be very much so your standard WoW, SWTOR, Everquest, etc. type affair, just set in an Elder Scrolls universe.

If you think this will play anything remotely like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim and with MMO elements, you are going to be setting yourself up for a world of disappointment.

I really hope gamers learned from SWTOR and not listen to any hype, especially when a franchise you love is at stake. Please, be critical and logical and don't let your hope blind your logic and judgement.

This is the truth, rather you like it or not. So many of my friends didn't listen to me about SWTOR and every one of them regrets their purchase and support of that product. Now those same friends are getting hyped about this game thinking it will be MMO Skyrim. They will not listen to me say otherwise.

If you guys want to think it will be MMO Skyrim, go ahead, but at least this time I can feel I tried to warn more people about a brand that is mostly being used to rape your wallets and do nothing but build hype....for the most part anyways.

Well, first off, this is by design, they have pretty much admitted that.

As far as the SWToR remark, I actually liked SWToR and it was exactly what they said it would be up to the point that they ran out of content. So I would be quite angry if I listned to you, didn't play SWToR and then found out I was missing a fun game. IN other words, let people make up their minds.

Personally I am curious about the game fully knowing that it won't be mmo skyrim or even bettah, morrowind.

And this is coming from a huge morrowind, oblvion, skyrim fan.

Sovrath I agree with you. However, I did learn not to buy a collectors edition :-) lol

I only buy collector editions that have something I would like to have in them lol. 

I bought Fable 3's collector edition for the fake book, had no interest in the game, but the extra's were neat and I gave the game to my son for Christmas lol. 

I bought on of the Fallout CE's for the pipboy which I modified by hollowing it out and making it wearable and putting a real touchscreen tablet into lol. 

Mortal Kombat for the fight stick. 

I don't want corny statues or art books I can view online. Novels and such I'm down for, but not reproduced art books. 

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88
    It's going to turn out exactly how it turns out, because companies don't care to make there games hard anymore, as most of the people want easy-mode.

~

When companies realize we want AC1/UO/EQ1 classics maybe games will be more successful, but I doubt that will happen at 99% of populations as states wants easy mode.

~

HF spending 60 bucks on another AC2/EQ2/WOW/SWTOR gimmickry.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Seeing how people was outraged when they bought a BW game and got a BW game i am pretty sure the OP simply give up.

There is no saving the general population.

This have been a good conversation

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by KingGator
    I can tell from all the hate this game is getting it will probably be a solid title.

Let me recommend to you, based on your criteria for solid games, SW:TOR :)

Not prerelease.  Any hate SWTOR got prerelease was drowned in hype.  This game is getting nothing but hate since its announcement.  

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Mark my words, this will be a standard cookie cutter MMO. It will not have anything revolutionary, at least not in any big way. The Elder Scrolls brand is being used as nothing but Lore and an Atmosphere for their world. The game itself will be very much so your standard WoW, SWTOR, Everquest, etc. type affair, just set in an Elder Scrolls universe.

This is the truth, rather you like it or not. So many of my friends didn't listen to me about SWTOR and every one of them regrets their purchase and support of that product. Now those same friends are getting hyped about this game thinking it will be MMO Skyrim. They will not listen to me say otherwise.

If you guys want to think it will be MMO Skyrim, go ahead, but at least this time I can feel I tried to warn more people about a brand that is mostly being used to rape your wallets and do nothing but build hype....for the most part anyways.

I've never played Elder Scrolls. If TESO turns out to be just the usual WoW clone Themepark, guess what? It will belly flop like the past clones have. Just have to wait and see. I'm not expecting much from it myself.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

On the other hand, if it turns out to be the elder scrolls but as an MMO, you will be pleasantly surprised.

I don't put much stock into these types of gloom and doom posts. Especially on these forums. If a game isn't a f2p, browser, sandbox, FFA full loot pvp game, it's labeled a WoW clone and doomed to failure. And it doesn't matter what anyone says, those people will believe it's going to be that way. And some of them will actually try to make it fail.

• I actually get the feeling that this game will be a lot like a less complicated fantasy version of SWTOR. With one difference being that instead of only resorting to instancing as a last resort, instancing is the default.

My biggest fear is that the game will feel much more segmented and less like a world  than the single player games.