Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blog post about The Repopulation

SorcerousKhanSorcerousKhan Member UncommonPosts: 164

In case anyone's interested, I posted my thoughts on The Repopulation as it relates to Star Wars: Galaxies on my blog, Dicejockey, here:

http://www.dicejockey.com/2012/12/succeeding-star-wars-galaxies.html

How do you feel about the game's roots?

Comments

• CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104

That is a very well written and detailed post. I've seen a lot of ex-SWG players getting into The Repopulation. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

"No game company, especially an indie company, is immune to failure. In this case, Above and Beyond's big failure is in its marketing. Only through word of mouth is hype spread about this game."

Do hope they try to get green lite thru steam for this purpose and do some major marketing. Just dont like the idea of a sandbox being F2P and think they are selling theirselves short here.

• Skymaster123Skymaster123 Member Posts: 8
    Good read! Thanks!
  • RocSekRocSek Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by Onomas

"No game company, especially an indie company, is immune to failure. In this case, Above and Beyond's big failure is in its marketing. Only through word of mouth is hype spread about this game."

Do hope they try to get green lite thru steam for this purpose and do some major marketing. Just dont like the idea of a sandbox being F2P and think they are selling theirselves short here.

A quote from Josh Halls from their forums.

"As for the marketing bit of the post we probably could of shot a little higher, but most of the "successes" aren't in a vacuum and people just find them and they make a million dollars (some exceptions, but in the game side not so much). They are mostly industry veterans that have good ties to different publications that can help to get the word out. Obviously, we are not that and set our expectations based on the amount of following we had and put out a somewhat conservative number to hit. If we set it to perhaps something like $75,000 we probably would of hit it, but $100,000 would of been hard to swallow if we didn't get to it. We will have a lot more options once we go into Beta as people will be able to get their hands on the product and take a look at it. Of course it needs to be pretty solid and a good experience, but we will be able to grow our audience a bit once we get to that point. We don't need an extremely large audience to be successful, but of course we would like one and solid word of mouth will be much more sustainable over the long haul than a quick bit of hype with a lackluster product. 

We do plan on ramping up the "hype" train a bit more in 2013 once we start hitting Beta and are planning at least one conference next year (PAX Prime) and perhaps PAX East as well, will see how things fall out on that first. These help, but mostly we need to work on getting more material out for people to check out and once Beta is ready hopefully we deliver a good experience and the word of mouth will continue to grow the base as well."

Still about a year from launch, so there is still plenty of time for hype. As long as game play is solid and they start pushing media in a few months they will be fine.

All I heard was... "Well aren't you just a little lolly pop triple dipped in psycho."

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Onomas

IIRC, EvE (in the beginning) had very little actual marketing and gained success mostly through word of mouth

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104

If you look around the web there's a lot of information about The Repopulation out there. I also agree that there's plenty of time for hyping the game as launch gets closer.

Right now the team is focused on game development, and personally, that's where the priority should be. 

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    For this game I would like to see organic growth. I think people have been beaten over the head with build ups and hype trains and are jaded at this point.  Games that don't have X subs or people buying everything from the cash shop are deemed failures and people quickly move on to the next FoTM. I think there are a lot of good things about this game that can be built upon and people to spread the word. Not saying we are doing A & B's marketing for them but if this game keeps the way it is going, I wouldn't have a problem asking people to at least give it a try.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

One aspect of Repop that impresses me is the developers determination to make this happen.  I ran into JC in 2008 on a developers forum, and I'm fairly sure the concept for Repop was already founded and development in progress.  If I'm correct in this, that would mean they've got five years in already.

I have a great deal of respect for people who make things happen.  I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.