Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ever have the Been there, seen it, done it... *yawn* now wtf feeling?

NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

You know that feeling that maybe just maybe youve run the course with a mmorpg? It's more habit than fun now? Been there seen it done it? ::::21::

Well thats where I am atm with EVE-Online, Its been a fun ride but I'm logging in less and less these days and I get the feeling that everything I have been waiting to see happen ingame just won't.
( I've been waiting for it to happen from late beta through launch and thats over 2+yrs now.. ::::16:: ).

I've taken breaks before...
I've wiped my Chars before and started over...
I've tried "other things" ingame...
I've set goals and met them...
I've outlasted all my mates that played...
I've seen the community go to hell of late...
I've been in the mega corps and I've gone solo...

I have tried a few other mmorpgs and all I found out was that I do not enjoy fantasy type games so I stuck with EVE but its different this time as truth be told I cant really justify paying my sub on the "How much fun its worth to me" scale anymore.

Yeah there are a few games on the way that might catch my attention (SEED:THC for one) but nothing out there atm really so any advice will be welcome.

Comments

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Everyone reaches that point at some time. Back 5 years ago there were so few options out that it was often best to just stick around in the community you've grown to know. "Better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't."

But today you have many more options, and more options coming every month. No reason to stick it out. Your character will be there for you if you decide you'd like to come back. Go check out something new...see how things are in another universe.

Incidentally, I'm about at the same place you are in EVE. I've done just about everything I consider fun to do and at this point I'm just logging on to change my skill training. I think it's coming close to time to put that account on hold. To its credit, it is the 2nd-longest lasting (at one sitting) MMOG I've played (EQ being the first).

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

yeah, that's usually what tells me that it's time to move on. AO, SWG, Neocron...

I think maybe the persistant story will keep me glued to MxO for a while after that feeling eventually sets in. We'll see.

The cool thing is with good MMO's, you take a LONG break, wait for an expansion or two to go back, and it's fun all over again. :)

•  Everyone gets that feeling sooner or later.

To you guys who have gotten this feeling, post what ideas you have that would delay this feeling... for whatever game you are playing right now? Or last played?

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

Sometimes a fresh start is nice, but if you already found a place your comfortable with you should stay. You know, as well as I that in the end it's all up to you.

• _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

the problem is that there is almost no competition in the sci-fi sector (especially for space based sci-fi). This creates two problems: it means there isnt really a alternative to 'give a chance' and it also means less pressure is put on CCP. Its no suprise that CCP acted faster when SWG was first starting, and when EnB was still around.

Last time I took a break I tried out vendetta, good fun but not as 'deep' as eve...IMO one of the problems is that there really isn't anything like eve out there, most stuff is a fantasy/medieval level based EQ-clone (i'm not getting at those games, just making an over-generalisation). The only MMO i've played in the last year (aside from eve and vendetta) is Guild Wars, it is the anti-thesis of eve but lots of fun.

One of the problems I have with eve at the moment is that there still isn't really anything to fight over. Even if you did own a system, who would care? Isk has become irrelevant to the large alliances, and simply adding in expensive ships isn't the solution. Eve needs super expensive things that leave a lasting impression on the game world, like being able to own (and name) 0.0 systems, create statue structures, and have more unique stuff to 'hold' like f.ex a npc research facility that produces faction stuff BPO's if your alliance holds it for enough time.

POS were meant to move combat away from the gates, this hasn't happened (partly becuase POS are uber, and almost impossible to actually destroy/take over - there isn't any point loosing a couple of battleships for no gain). The risk vs reward in lvl 4 missions is screwed up (whatever the devs say), IMO lvl 4 rats should pod, should attack all targets that are firing at them (not just the first) and the missile balance is badly needed (those changes would reduce the rewards of lvl 4 missions by requiring teamwork).

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...

• Kaos_nyrbKaos_nyrb Member Posts: 244

If your bored you may want to try vendetta online out.
    It's like an arcade verson of Eve, more combat and less trading (although it still has a decent trade system)
    Free trail to so you got nothing to lose.

www.vendetta-online.com

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Never could get into EVE. Something about it just never jibed with me. SWG was the same way at release... it just wasn't right somehow. But now that they've fixed a lot of features and added spaceflight (thank you JTL TEAM!!!) the game is MUCH BETTER and I would say it's arguably the best Sci-Fi MMO out. Certainly has more variety than any other MMO available and PVP is very well done. Now they're getting rid of the HAM crap and docs are getting toned down so you don't have to wait hours in a buff line just to wear armor.... the game is phenomenally better.

I still play EQ now and then with friends and I'm even trying EQ2 but SWG is my home, it had issues at the start, and still has a couple, but overall it's the best MMO on the market right now in my opinion. I never get bored in SWG there's just too many different things to do for me to get bored.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

I tried EvE for a bit and stopped at 2 mill skill points.Just not as exciting as it should have been.Right now im playing SWG.To be honest the game at launch needed more work.

Well guess what.

The work has been done and it it so immersive that i lose track of time because im having so much fun.Im in space flying about doing missions when i get sick of that i land in Tatooine and venture to a cantina that is notorious in the films.Im about to go overt and experience open PvP but im really wanting to go Hutt im just not sure how long ill wait.Im also about to start learning how to build spaceships and the like.

Dont listen to what anyone says about SWG it is no worse than anything on the market atm.The game is vastly improved over what it was at launch.Its got a lot going for it if your into scifi.The game has bounty hunters,creature handlers and lots of skills to learn.In regards to the skills its closer to EvE than any other game in that you can leran ANY skill you want thus making for a unique skill set.

Ive played a LOT of mmo's and never really liked the fantasy setting.SWG gets a bad rap because a lot of players expected it to be the "best game ever"in reality most mmo's need about a year or 2 of work at launch.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

• StaxicStaxic Member Posts: 145

You just get burned out on the same old, same old. That's why people cheat on their spouses - tired of the same old thing.

My advice is quit the game. Don't even play another MMO for a bit - go back to 1 player games, or those with multiplayer that aren't MMO worlds (fps, tactical, turn based, etc) for a couple months. After 4, 5 months you'll get the MMO itch back, and can look at available worlds then.

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

Turn off the computer and bust out the console. Or if you dont have one, maybe grab a psp.

I hit the "burnt out" stage awhile back. But a good does of steady work (7 days a week) has me enjoying the time I put into gaming.

Though the most fun ive had lately was smacking some kid down at the local pool hall. I was playing soul caliber 2 waiting for my next turn on the table. He walked up acting cocky...thought he was going to beat me, I let him win the first round then I smacked him down the next 7 matches. Im deadly with talim....=)

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Actually taking a break is a very good idea.Ive done that before as well and it does a person good to be able to walk in the sunshine.Makes ya feel like you done need to play and breaks the addictive mode.Lately ive been balancing with xbox play (links2004).

Or you could just say to heck with it and come to SWG.Nothing like walking into cantina and seeing all out PvP between players and imperial troops.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)