Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is STO those days?

TraviksTraviks Member CommonPosts: 32

Playing on launch day, quite interesting and fun, love the series and films, but I dont undestand whats the point about the high end or planets. Content was so poor and uninstalled at last since 4 days playing.

Now 2 (?) years later, too much patchs and content added or I Hope so... So I asking you how is STO atm. Its fun? Stay ppl ingame? Content to do? How it works his high end? PvE? PvP? Ship battles? 

Thanks if anyone can help me. 

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Overall, the game has improved tremendously since launch.  Granted, there were a lot of shortcomings at launch, so it had nowhere to go but up.  But, it really has improved.

If you haven't played since right at launch, then a lot of things are going to be new.

Special Task Force (STF) missions are the "endgame" type instances.  There are a lot of other types of instances as well, like fleet action missions, or fleet defense missions.

There are a number of Feature Episodes that have been added over time.  Right now is a good time to play them, as they give the original reward that came with them when they were first active.

The Foundry system has a TON of player made content.  Some of it's very good, some of it isn't.

Crafting is in the game, but it's very basic.

They've added a complex Duty Officer system, which allows you to "task" officers you collect to perform various missions for you.

They've added some Adventure Areas, which are smallish open world areas to perform missions in.  Defera, the Tholian Invasion area, and New Romulus.

They've added Fleet Advancement systems, where fleets can build a starbase or embassy, which give access to different systems or items.

There's also a Personal Advancement system, which currently allows you to build reputation with Omega and the Romulans, which again give passive traits and items.

From my limited experience, PvP is not very active right now, though it still happens.  They are supposed to be reworking this part of the game in the future, but no word on exactly when.

A lot of ships, gear, and customization options have been added over time, obviously.

The STOwiki is still a good place to get information about the game:  http://www.stowiki.org/Main_Page

Of course, the game is free to play, so no harm in checking it out.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Traviks

Playing on launch day, quite interesting and fun, love the series and films, but I dont undestand whats the point about the high end or planets. Content was so poor and uninstalled at last since 4 days playing.   Now 2 (?) years later, too much patchs and content added or I Hope so... So I asking you how is STO atm. Its fun? Stay ppl ingame? Content to do? How it works his high end? PvE? PvP? Ship battles?    Thanks if anyone can help me. 

If you consider tedious rep grinding fun and lockboxes "content", then sure, you will have a blast. :)

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Playing on launch day, quite interesting and fun, love the series and films, but I dont undestand whats the point about the high end or planets. Content was so poor and uninstalled at last since 4 days playing.

Not much has changed. The content increase is minimal given the time span. I'd even estimate that they haven't doubled the content from release. The C-Store is the main focus of development over the last 2 years, closely followed by the Foundry, which will be the basis of the Nw game due for release.  The reason you uninstalled it the first time, still exsist. Saying that, it's still F2P, so if you doubt someones opinion try it. Although don't be shocked if you have issues trying to set up the account and connecting them. The system is haphazzardly done.  ( Cryptic --->PWI )

Now 2 (?) years later, too much patchs and content added or I Hope so... So I asking you how is STO atm. Its fun? Fun is relative. If grinding for 8 ( an exaggration, but it's what it feels like ) different currency and trying to decern what is useful for what , enjoy. My opinion. There's probably a months worth of entertainment value in the game.

Stay ppl ingame?  Not sure of the question here.

Content to do?  Cryptic has until recently relied on the Foundry for content.  They just now gotten around to adding in house content after a long abcence.

How it works his high end? One simple word " Grind " , that's all end game is.

PvE? Collect , kill , scan pretty well like most MMO's . It's the limited number of actual stories make it feel even shorter though. The stories are actually well done. The objective is usually the same though. Although they did add some that attempted to do some different things , with limited success.

PvP? Ship battles?  It's true to PW designs. P2W. There's another thread that covers the questions you asked.

Truely the best advise is to try it. I wouldn't spend a penny on the game, and advise the same to anyone trying it.  It's a simple game , on an old engine ( regardless of what Cryptic and CDF claim ) with dated looking graphics, animation  and gameplay. It's over instanced and feels like a shoebox that you move from one to another doing the same things, with variations in scenery. Don't take my word for it try it.  [mod edit]

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Now 2 (?) years later, too much patchs and content added or I Hope so... So I asking you how is STO atm.

Its fun?Is for about 2 weeks

Stay ppl ingame?Only think a small hardcore stay for any length of time, but can't be certain

Content to do? The story content for a fed and a klink should take you 2 -  4 weeks after that it's grinding some instances

How it works his high end? PvE?  5 mim or more wait to grind an instance for marks(now for the borg gear) or dilithium(about 4 of these).  Other than that there are the player created foundry missions,  I've tried a couple they are overly long(up to 4 hours or more), mostly text and have little or no reward to them.  Guessing they are mostly a fanboy thing.

PvP? 4 instances(4 more of the same for fed vs fed), 2 ship and 2 ground, but nobody seems to bother with the ground.  Ship battles go something like this : 15 min wait while for something to start.  Activate all buffs, fire 3 dual heavy phaser cannons and quantum torpedos, if lucky do 1% damage to enemy shields(that's with more than one person attacking) get destroyed in a shot or two.

Ship battles? The same poor mans console version of star fleet command

Would also like to caution against buying from the c store.  Ships in there cost me roughly the same as 3 months sub each.  If you want both a fed and klink then that's 6 months sub for a game with 1 months content half of which you've already done(especially if you don't do the dilithium grind for c store points).  Meaning you end up paying 6 months worth of money for 2 weeks content and 5 1/2 months instance grinding.

Originally posted by Karahandras

Now 2 (?) years later, too much patchs and content added or I Hope so... So I asking you how is STO atm.

Stay ppl ingame?Only think a small hardcore stay for any length of time, but can't be certain

Content to do? The story content for a fed and a klink should take you 2 -  4 weeks after that it's grinding some instances

How it works his high end? PvE?  5 mim or more wait to grind an instance for marks(now for the borg gear) or dilithium(about 4 of these).  Other than that there are the player created foundry missions,  I've tried a couple they are overly long(up to 4 hours or more), mostly text and have little or no reward to them.  Guessing they are mostly a fanboy thing.

PvP? 4 instances(4 more of the same for fed vs fed), 2 ship and 2 ground, but nobody seems to bother with the ground.  Ship battles go something like this : 15 min wait while for something to start.  Activate all buffs, fire 3 dual heavy phaser cannons and quantum torpedos, if lucky do 1% damage to enemy shields(that's with more than one person attacking) get destroyed in a shot or two.

Would also like to caution against buying from the c store.  Ships in there cost me roughly the same as 3 months sub each.  If you want both a fed and klink then that's 6 months sub for a game with 1 months content half of which you've already done(especially if you don't do the dilithium grind for c store points).  Meaning you end up paying 6 months worth of money for 2 weeks content and 5 1/2 months instance grinding.

One of the good things about the dilithium system is that it allows players to exchange dilithium earned by playing the game for Zen (formerly Cryptic Points).  This means that C-Store items can be gained for free just by playing the game.

As a side note, the exchange rate for buying Zen with dilithium is currently the best it's ever been.  For anyone interested in getting something for free from the store using dil you earned in-game, now is a great time to do so, especially with the recent increases in dilithium gain they've implemented.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Originally posted by Karahandras

One of the good things about the dilithium system is that it allows players to exchange dilithium earned by playing the game for Zen (formerly Cryptic Points).  This means that C-Store items can be gained for free just by playing the game.

As a side note, the exchange rate for buying Zen with dilithium is currently the best it's ever been.  For anyone interested in getting something for free from the store using dil you earned in-game, now is a great time to do so, especially with the recent increases in dilithium gain they've implemented.

You can also earn zen by completeing offers, opinion polls etc and then convert it to c store coins.

I think the increases in the dilithium are due to there being fewer ways to get it.  But you are still capped at 8k a day so you''l need to meet this cap for a month or so to buy anything worthwhile in the cash shop(depending what you want to buy).

For anyone interested the current conversion rate is about 104-110 dilithium for one c store coin

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    I also recently got back and wow..what a change. There is so much content its overhelming. Not to mention that STO has the best F2P model of any MMO in the market. It truely is.
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    I also recently got back and wow..what a change. There is so much content its overhelming. Not to mention that STO has the best F2P model of any MMO in the market. It truely is.

When compared to other F2P models, STO does have one of the best going.  No limitations to class, level, or content.  It really does offer more for free than the majority of other games sporting a similar model.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Basically the game is pretty much free. I recently gave it another whirl and played up to captain before getting bored again. Did this all without spending one penny on it. I don't know how they can afford to keep this game going. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3
    Basically the game is pretty much free. I recently gave it another whirl and played up to captain before getting bored again. Did this all without spending one penny on it. I don't know how they can afford to keep this game going. 

As a free to play game, it's one of the best, in that almost everything (i.e. character classes, levels, playable content and systems) in the game is accessible for free.  Additionally, dilithium earned by playing the game can be exchanged for C-Store points, which gives players access to items in the cash shop for free as well.  Even some of the things in lockboxes, like ships, can be purchased off the auction house using the in-game currency (energy credits) that a player earns.

For those that don't want to spend money on a game, STO has one of the best F2P models I've seen.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Since it is totally free with little or no limits, I recommend you give it a spin.  After all you have nothing to lose by doing so.  There is a ton of stuff added since it was released and it is still fun for me to pick up and play a few times each month.
    Originally posted by buegur
    Since it is totally free with little or no limits, I recommend you give it a spin.  After all you have nothing to lose by doing so.  There is a ton of stuff added since it was released and it is still fun for me to pick up and play a few times each month.

Because everyone has a different opinion on what they find fun, I agree.  The only way to find out if a game is enjoyable is to try it out.

The vast majority of the game is completely free, so there's nothing to lose.

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75
    I would recommend trying the game for yourself as I believe most will find there is about a month or so worth of entertainment to it.  Beyond that, the game lacks any real depth.  I wouldn't recommend spending any money on the game.