Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout Online - off the grid?

BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

Hey community,

I haven't been able to follow the mmo news lately, due to my job taking up most of my time.

What happened with Fallout Online? Is it still under development? Can't get anything useful out of google at this stage. Any news about it? I was really looking forward to this.

Cheers!

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

A licensing dispute killed it. It's not likely that it will ever exist. The closest you're going to get is the FOnline 2238.

FOnline 2238

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

Thanks for that.

It's sad to hear it but any news is better than no news. 

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

Originally posted by Beermangler
    Thanks for that.

It's sad to hear it but any news is better than no news. 

They had Masthead Studios slated to write the game, the developers behind Earthrise. Earthrise was a huge, non-functional piece of cr@p. There was nothing good about that game other than the general idea. On top of that, Interplay and Masthead went through millions of dollars in funding and had nothing to show for it. Given a choice between them continuing the project or Bethesda killing it, I think killing it was the right thing to do.

** edit **
    I would love to see a Fallout MMORPG. I think it would make a great game. I'd be happy with a Fallout Online Multiplayer Co-Op game, set in the same universe with a lot of the same RPG rules too. I may change my mind once TESO releases though. :-)

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Bethesda opened a new studio for the soul purpose of making online Games

Its possible later than sooner that Fallout online may become a reality.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth
    Bethesda opened a new studio for the soul purpose of making online GamesIts possible later than sooner that Fallout online may become a reality.

They should do two things.

1) A Fallout Online, either multiplayer or massively multiplayer.
    2) More survival horror in the Lovecraft Mythos. Multiplayer or massively multiplayer, either one.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Apparently they started working on fallout mmo then switched to TESO with the court case.

Personally I'm.not convinced a fallout mmo would work, massively multiplayer and post apocalypse don't make sense to me. The whole apocalypse thing means nearly everyone Is dead.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I have great hope for The Repopulation!  Definitely a great team of people.  I hope everything goes smooth for them.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Apparently they started working on fallout mmo then switched to TESO with the court case.Personally I'm.not convinced a fallout mmo would work, massively multiplayer and post apocalypse don't make sense to me. The whole apocalypse thing means nearly everyone Is dead.

If 90% of the population of the planet died, that would still leave 10,000 people within a ten miles of my house. Having a lot of people around isn't necessarily counter to a post-apocalyptic scenario. It is in the movies, because it's such a stark contrast to what we currently have...it makes it more apocalyptic. I think I would still lean towards multiplayer instead of massively multiplayer though.