Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DISCOVERY: 95% Genetic similarity between MMO players and the Skritt.

MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I guess we only care about the SHINIES!!!!!   People swing thier sword mindlessly for an hour and expect a shiny as a reward.

Kidding aside.

I read a post from the leader of War Machine, Jang Gun.  For those who don't know, War Machine is a highly skilled and respected korean guild.  If youever played in NAT1 WvW and got your ass handed to you.....more than likely it was War Machine.

I have posted numerous times in the past that PvP/WvW doesnt need to be rewarded for participation.  The competition and adrenaline from matching your skill versus another player should be reward enough.   I am starting to believe I was wrong.   Personally, I don't need or feel the desire to be rewarded for my participation in WvW......but my enjoyment of WVW is dependent on others playing it as well.  WvW attendance is dropping, IMO.  This could be due to several factors, but I believe Jang Gun's post covers the largest reasons why. 

I think Jang Gun's post is well thought out....even though many of his points were ideas I used to not agree with.   I am willing to accept the changes he recommends if it assures a strong WvW community for many months from now.   I am hoping Anet doesnt offer ascended gear as a carrot for WvW participation.......that would only make matters worse IMO.  There are enough people already who take up a queue spot to do g'damned jumping puzzles.

What do you all think?

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Maephisto

I guess we only care about the SHINIES!!!!!   People swing thier sword mindlessly for an hour and expect a shiny as a reward.

Naw.  I can't imagine an enraged skritt.

Can easily imagine the Angry German Kid stereotype, tho.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I've always thought that people were the opposite of skritt. The skritt get smarter as more of them congregate.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Considering we share 60% of our DNA with bananas and 99% with chimps, 95% doesn't seem too far fetched.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Well my shitty attempt at a catchy title has led people ignore the rest of my post. 

What do you all think of Jang Gun's post about WvW and what changes do you think should take place?

(p.s. the skritt are my favorite NPC faction........(although unlikely) I would love to see them as a player race.)

• MeyithiMeyithi Member Posts: 48

Well my shitty attempt at a catchy title has led people ignore the rest of my post. 

What do you all think of Jang Gun's post about WvW and what changes do you think should take place?

(p.s. the skritt are my favorite NPC faction........(although unlikely) I would love to see them as a player race.)

Has any RvR/WvW game nailed this yet?  People talk of DaoC with rose tinted glasses but they no longer play...

RvR/WvW gets old, it's been the same in every game so far.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I think things have changed.

If you were to mix the old school MMO player who loved and/or accepted some level of pvp.....versus the new era of MMO player who is some amalgamation of preteen fuckwit and regular joe shmoe who has responsibilities.....I have no idea how to place PvP mechanisms.   My idea of "PvP for PvP's sake" doesnt work.   People need some type of reward or incentive.

Beyond this......I do see flaws with Anet's version of WVW.   Server pride come from rivalries, especially on a GvG basis.  Hiding the names of individual player inhibits this.  My initial assumptions were wrong.  Player names and guild affiliation need to be open info to everyone across all servers.   Even if anet were to continue to hide individual names.........individual guilds need to claim some level of "official" acclaim.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

If you were to mix the old school MMO player who loved and/or accepted some level of pvp.....versus the new era of MMO player who is some amalgamation of preteen fuckwit and regular joe shmoe who has responsibilities.....I have no idea how to place PvP mechanisms.   My idea of "PvP for PvP's sake" doesnt work.   People need some type of reward or incentive.

Beyond this......I do see flaws with Anet's version of WVW.   Server pride come from rivalries, especially on a GvG basis.  Hiding the names of individual player inhibits this.  My initial assumptions were wrong.  Player names and guild affiliation need to be open info to everyone across all servers.   Even if anet were to continue to hide individual names.........individual guilds need to claim some level of "official" acclaim.

I think they need to have it as a prestige thing to have your name represented.  Either your just a pawn, or your Juan Kickass Dude.  Not sure what would be the best basis for assessing the prestige though.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I think they need to have it as a prestige thing to have your name represented.  Either your just a pawn, or your Juan Kickass Dude.  Not sure what would be the best basis for assessing the prestige though.

This is an idea I can fully get behind.  Not only would it encourage players to actually attemp to get better at PvP, whether individually or as a team, but it offer a real tangible reward that is more shiny than any armor/weapon skin could ever hope to be (assuming it was difficult to obtain this ability).  Another idea is to allow a ranking system with only the top PvPer's having access to their names being displayed.

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180
    i'm a quaggan