Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How important is music to you when playing?

Comments

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I turn game music off tho I don't have a problem with it.  I want my character to be the one PLAYING the music I created on his/her instrument.  I'm tired of games providing everything for me and not letting me do it myself.
    Mensur

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    For me music its the 50% of my experience, if it doesnt caught my ears attention then i will probably get bored and pass on.
    Mensur

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i love well composed and placed game music. to go without it would be almost like watching a movie w/o a soundtrack.

at times i do turn off the music in a game if it becomes too repititious. but for the most part i let it run and enjoy the ambience that good music can create.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I turn off the music in most games.  Depending on how annoying the sound effects are, I sometimes turn those off as well.

Besides, I have to listen to the wife commentary track.

Mensur

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Very impportant, so are all other sounds like ambient, scenery and other.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Approximately zero.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

I remember playing Diablo 2 and listening to Days of the New a ton during play.  It just seemed to fit so well. 

Now I will usually just pick a radio station and have it on in the background fairly softly.

• cheachancheachan Member Posts: 122
    It affects my mood whenever I play games. Either it motivates me to do some quests or just stay put in one place & do something else

• EichmannCharityEichmannCharity Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    When I'm sad, music relaxes me. When I work, music helps me focus.
    DibdabsMensur
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    2012 can't hear you.
    WhiteLanternScotGorweAlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Dibdabs said:
    2012 can't hear you.
    But the adbots can hear us and he probably is one.
    AlBQuirky
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    tort0429 said:

To me it just makes imersion better.

Not an mmo but one of the best songs in gaming from Halo 4.

http://youtu.be/BQ-mmSh9yMw

For me its one of the most important aspects. When the music is good, I usually turn off all sound effects and enjoy the game. Really helps me with immersion. 
    AlBQuirky

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• MrLertosMrLertos Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Most of the time, if I have it on at all, I turn it down so it's simply "there", but not overly distracting. I agree some music in MMORPG's are great - but most of the time it's just not what I want to listen to. Sometimes I find it's more satisfying to listen to my own music, or watch streams/youtube on my other monitor.
    AlBQuirky
  • dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441
    Almost never notice the music unless it is supposed to be noticed. For me, it doesn't impact immersion one way or the other.
    AlBQuirky

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• Abscissa15Abscissa15 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    I leave it on but go for a balance shifted towards ambient sounds. Typically music at 25% volume, ambient sounds at 70% and master volume at 90%. That way I don't lose voiceovers when they occur. I disable music entirely when using Discord/TeamSpeak, etc. (Raids).
    AlBQuirky
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    The first thing I do after I adjust graphics is to turn off the music in each game I play. At best, I find it annoying.
    AlBQuirky

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• JunncoJunnco Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I find music extremely important when you play games, It helps the way you experience the game to be most vivid and authentic. Not only that, you don't miss the alerts or pings from my team, I'm a big fan of in-game sounds, and I often collect chsung to share it with those who like and need it. You can refer to the sound at https://dzwonkinatelefon.pl/
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    I turn it off most of the time. 
    AlBQuirky
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Depends on the game/genre.In a mmorpg i pretty much turn it off,maybe 20% volume.In an old game such as Quake the Dissolution of Eternity expansion had music done by NIN it was the shit for me,full blast music/sound.
    Something like a puzzle game or card game,no music.Playing a game that requires me to hear sound effects ,like a pvp shooter,music off.
    AlBQuirkyBabuinix

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Single player Music On always with the only exception being some Dark Souls BossFights where I felt turning music OFF helped with concentration.

MMORPG's I'll leave music ON when levelling and experiencing areas/instances for the first time. In farm mode it's usually with own playlist.

Competitive games like FPS's is music off ofc unless it's in a casual free 4 all frag fest.
    AlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The in game music would have to be really bad for me to turn it off or play something else. It's part of the package and needs to be developed well just like anything else in the game.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Rhoklaw said:
    Music has and always will play an integral part of human mood. If you want to relax, people will listen to classical or lounge music. If you want to get pumped up, people might listen to rock and roll or dubstep. If you want to hate everyone and everything or just commit mass murder in an FPS or PvP game, maybe turn on some rap.

There is music for every occasion and MMOs or even games in general are no different. So yes, a good music score can definitely set the mood. The only downside is redundancy and repetitive music. I have to say, I enjoyed the sound track for Eve Online and Anarchy Online quite a bit. Music and Sci-Fi seem to go hand in hand, but finding the right music environment for Fantasy games is probably a bit more daunting.

Just to inject, there is a lot of classical music that isn't relaxing. It's just that am radio stations tend to play a lot of "lite" baroque to classical (meaning the period not the "catch all" term that is used), romantic and even impressionist.

I just add this because a lot of people like to think that it's the "boring" music or the lifeless music and it's anything but. B)

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited January 2021
    Sovrath said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Music has and always will play an integral part of human mood. If you want to relax, people will listen to classical or lounge music. If you want to get pumped up, people might listen to rock and roll or dubstep. If you want to hate everyone and everything or just commit mass murder in an FPS or PvP game, maybe turn on some rap.

There is music for every occasion and MMOs or even games in general are no different. So yes, a good music score can definitely set the mood. The only downside is redundancy and repetitive music. I have to say, I enjoyed the sound track for Eve Online and Anarchy Online quite a bit. Music and Sci-Fi seem to go hand in hand, but finding the right music environment for Fantasy games is probably a bit more daunting.

Just to inject, there is a lot of classical music that isn't relaxing. It's just that am radio stations tend to play a lot of "lite" baroque to classical (meaning the period not the "catch all" term that is used), romantic and even impressionist.

I just add this because a lot of people like to think that it's the "boring" music or the lifeless music and it's anything but. B)

Yes! I was going to link Mars: Bringer of War by Gustav Holst :)

edit: Oops! Should have read on before posting this :)
    [Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Iselin said:
    The in game music would have to be really bad for me to turn it off or play something else. It's part of the package and needs to be developed well just like anything else in the game.
    Same here. Many times, games give "musical cues" throughout the play. How many times in Skyrim have I been running around and all of a sudden the battle music kicks in!
    [Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I give the music a few minutes in a new game then turn it off forever.  If you've heard five minutes of it you've heard it all.
    AlBQuirky