Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linksys Alternative?

MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

I'm rather unhappy with my linksys wireless router & linksys wireless PCI card.

What are some good alternatives to Linksys?

~Mysk

Comments

• KatheryneKatheryne Member Posts: 130

I'm quite happy with my Belkin wireless router and cards.

Earlier, I replaced my aging, failing Linksys router (not wireless) with a DLink wireless router - and I really liked that router as well; but unfortunately it wasn't compatible with wireless repeaters (I needed a repeater since my house is fairly large and has thick walls), so I replaced it with my current Belkin wireless router and paired it with a Belkin Wireless Access Point, which has repeater functions.  Both work great together.

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982

Thank you Katheryne, I'll check Newegg and Geeks.com for prices on the Belkin hardware.

Today I was being dropped roughly about every 5 to 10 minutes, or simply whenever a lot of activity began in WoW (such as the attack on Astranaar or when I attempted to duel, both of which disconnected me). It's getting very frustrating.

This on a 500k/sec connection. :|

Thanks again,

~Mysk

• WowTrollWowTroll Member Posts: 74
    Dude 5000k per/s thats almost as bad as dial-up. I've had no problems with my Linksys wireless router, but if u want another one then just look around. You will find 1 that fits you.image

Plasticspork: Wow
    Buffilo Soilder: Counter Strike
    Plasticspork: Shot-Online

If you can read my avitar it says
    " ACDC, Back in Black"

Actually, dial-up is 5k/sec. 500k/sec is roughly half of 1 MB per sec. I don't always hit that cap, but my connection can sustain it if the server supports it and the Internet between "here" and "there" isn't bogged down.

I've changed some settings in my router but I'm not expecting much out of it. I'm glad that the Linksys stuff works good for most, but this simply isn't cutting it with me.

The link quality and signal strength are both 96% to 100% (it fluctuates a bit) according to both Windows and the Linksys software. Drivers and firmware is up to date. It imply isn't working for me.

~Mysk

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

I like Netgear products. They seem reliable and stable to me. I'm using the Netgear SuperG 108Mbps stuff and it works nicely.

• FitchFitch Member Posts: 92

yeah I use netgear was well for my wireless router and it works fabulously, as far as the pc card is concerned I dont know who's the best as my lap tops have built in wireless = sorry...

Attitude is no substitute for Competence. ~Eric Raymond

image image image image

• KatheryneKatheryne Member Posts: 130

It's also entirely possible your wireless network could be plagued by interference.  Microwave ovens and 2.4GHz cordless phones are the worst offenders within a home.  The only way to avoid all that entirely - at least for a while - is to set up a 5.2GHz network.  However, availability of these things is very limited and can be rather expensive.

In the interim, you could try changing channels on your router - Channel 11 seems to work the best here.

There shouldn't be a lot of interference, at least as far as I understand it. The router is literally on the otherside of the wall behind my computer, probably not even five feet away.

That's what annoys me so much about this problem. The link quality and signal strength fluctuate between 96% and 100%, I've never seen it go lower except for when I was changing some router settings trying to do something different to get a better connection.

It's a big headache. :| When I buy new parts for the comp, which may not be too long from now, I'm going to look for the alternatives mentioned here. Though I've already checked geeks and newegg to get an idea of the price range.

Thanks folks,
    ~Myskers

• FitchFitch Member Posts: 92

ok whoa whoa whoa, 5.2?!? Where when how tel me pls!!! I havent heard of this share with us yoru wisdom oh wise one...

Attitude is no substitute for Competence. ~Eric Raymond

image image image image

• MunkaMunka Member UncommonPosts: 252

Here's what I use...

Belkin Wireless G USB Adapter
    Dlink Wireless G Access Point - Model DWL-G700AP
    US Robotics Wireless A-G Broadband Router

I don't use the USR Router due to configuration issues with the wireless set up. The signal strength from it is weak past 100 feet in-doors, and often drops the connection altogether. the Dlink on the other hand, has been wonderful and even at 175 feet indoors, I get any where from 26Mbps to 48Mbps and with very rare connection drops.