Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard: Guilty until proven innocent.

Comments

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

People jump the gun way to quick, I understand this can be annoying, I have dealt with Blizzard with this same issue, CALL THEM, submit a ticket and wait they get back, pretty fast , do that before you get upset..

Trust me they are always fair to people, I have never heard of them not being fair, if they are not  being fair chances are they have  proof that person was doing something they shouldn't have.

They can check your IP to see if it was you or someone else, They can and will check that.

If it was way far from you they will fix it, if it was your friend near by, or in your city they knoiw you prolly did it, but they can check this ..

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    D3 is nothing but a failed mess. I am not surprised to hear this story. I always have my doubts that the OP of threads such as this is telling the whole story, but meh.

A "failed mess" that sold 10M copies. A "failed mess" that is ranked higher than all sandbox MMO, and all MMOs except WOW and GW2 on xfire.

I am sure many companies would like such a "failed mess".

I know I laugh when gamers call a game making million a failed game, I wish I would  make a failed game, and make millions I would be a happy person .. Kids today lol./

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal
    D3 is nothing but a failed mess. I am not surprised to hear this story. I always have my doubts that the OP of threads such as this is telling the whole story, but meh.

A "failed mess" that sold 10M copies. A "failed mess" that is ranked higher than all sandbox MMO, and all MMOs except WOW and GW2 on xfire.

I know I laugh when gamers call a game making million a failed game, I wish I would  make a failed game, and make millions I would be a happy person .. Kids today lol./

I also agree I log in from time to time and see 5-7 friends still playing, its far from failed but Blizzard haters are going to hate. Just because your a fanboy of another game does not make it bad. That is your opinion, any tangible evidence says it was a huge hit.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

I am sorry for this obvious response but all i can say is learn from this - never trust Blizzard again!!!!

you should try TL2 - only 20$ (maybe less with soon to be Christmas sales) and i think gameplay is much better...

Again - sorry i cannot offer more than that (my wow account was also stolen once and it took a while to bring it back from the dead...)

Just my 2 cents...

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

You know.. I was thinking..

Given that fact that Asian servers are completely seperated from the rest of the World (Clina likes it this way).. I dont' even think China has Cataclysm yet , do they?..  Anyways..  Being they are 100% seperated, why doesn't Blizzard just BLOCK all asian IP addys.. Wouldn't this keep all asian gold farmers from playing and posting on Western servers? 

Just saying..

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    If your e-mail account was stolen at the same time, then it's likely that the account thief didn't get your Diablo 3 password directly, but rather, used the stolen e-mail account to reset your Diablo 3 password to whatever he wanted.  And so long as he has your e-mail account, he might be able to do that to other games linked to the same e-mail account.  Which means that you'd better check on your other games in a hurry.

Good point. Anything might be compromized. I really recommend you to have the mail to your games as a POP3 mail account instead of something like hotmail, it is a lot more secure.

OP: yeah, one would think that a game where you can buy and sell stuff for real money actually would be better at stuff like this then Wow instead of worse. I hope you get your stuff back.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Feel your pain, man.  Good luck.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Rydeson

You know.. I was thinking..

Given that fact that Asian servers are completely seperated from the rest of the World (Clina likes it this way).. I dont' even think China has Cataclysm yet , do they?..  Anyways..  Being they are 100% seperated, why doesn't Blizzard just BLOCK all asian IP addys.. Wouldn't this keep all asian gold farmers from playing and posting on Western servers? 

Just saying..

Well, first of all that wouldnt be popular with people who moved to another region. And you can mask your IP even if it is a bother.

But it sint really asian gold farmers that is the problem anymore, it is hackers. 5 years ago there were plenty of people from China that played Wow on Western servers to farm gold, but now it is cheaper and easier just to hack accounts, and there are plenty of poor people with questinable morale in the west as well so I dont think it would help much.

Usually they either gets you by phising mails or by stealing passwords from hacked internet sites (MMORPGs list was supposedly stolen some years back). Never write your code anywhere but when you log on the game and dont use the same password for more than one thing. Use a pop3 mail account since they are harder to hack.

Do that and you have relatively good safety, you dont have to change password every month, just have a single password for each thing.

But no matter how secure you are and even if you do have an authentificator you cant ever be 100% safe... but at least 99,9% and that is pretty good.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by grounnn

(snip)

I came home after work on a friday afternoon and was logging into World of Warcraft when I was prompted by a pop-up message telling me my account was locked down. So, I went digging through my e-mails and came across a Blizzard e-mail stating that I had broken the TOS. They had pointed out that I had "illegally" changed characters from one server to the next on my accounts. Apparently from what they stated. The service they offered was against their rules. Now mind you I had fixed the issue and validated all my account information so I could get the account up and running that night for raiding (by the way, when they lock down your account, you lose that months subscription. Remember that for the rest of this post). After Friday nights raid. I tried logging back on saturday to do progression and came across the same issue again. It turns out they wanted more information (SSN, Identification, Birth Certificate, etc). Even after I had given them my valid CC(credit card) to validate that I indeed was the person in control of the account. So, I made a photocopy of my I.D. and sent it to Blizzard. Later that night my account was unlocked and I was able to play again.

(snip)

Underlined : What on earth?! I never, ever heard of this happening in a video game, ever! I have a hard time believing that. It is not like you put your SSN in your account details. How do they even know who you are based on your SSN from the information you give them when you set up your account? Also, not all of the players on USA are American citizens and have one. I call shenanigans on that.

Plus, how can you be in violation if you use THEIR offered services? This whole thing does not make sense or you didn't explain it properly.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Hey all,

Well... I've received my first ban in my history of gaming.

I started gaming via Hero's Quest: Quest for Glory / King's Quest / Police Quest all the way to EverQuest / SWG all the way to SWTOR (meh) / Diablo 3.

My account was stolen.

It's unfortunate that people do this, as I had a lot of time invested into that game. However, I had a simple password with virtually zero security. I never bothered to purchase an authenticator or update my password from time to time. So I was pretty naive (It won't happen to me).

Anyways, I find that I cannot log into my account. I cannot log into my associated email account (luckily it was only an email I used for games and such). I call up tech support and tell them situation.

They give me my account back. They transferred my account to a new email I had created (because old one was stolen). However, my character had no items and no gold. So naturally I would be upset. They told me to submit a ticket and I would be granted some type of "rollback" so that I could obtain most of my items again.

I submit a ticket and wait about a day.

I get an email this morning: "Greetings,

After a thorough investigation of your recently reported compromise, it has come to our attention that your ticket was submitted in an attempt to defraud the Game Master Department in order to duplicate gold or other assets. As a result, the Diablo III license attached to this Battle.net Account has been permanently closed.

This action was taken in keeping with our Diablo III End User License Agreement (http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/d3_eula.html) and will neither be amended nor removed.

Regards,

Blizzard Entertainment
    Customer Support
    http://battle.net/support
    "

First off, my best character probably had a financial value of about 20 bucks. I had very little gold on him. However, I was proud of my character because everything on him was 100% pure and legit. I never purchased, sold, or used anything from the Real Money AH. Everything was earned. Moreover, it was an $80 Collector's Edition account.

So the next thing I do is call up Blizzard support... again. I asked them about the outcome. They say they can't do anything but push another ticket. I asked him why they couldn't just check the IP logs or trade-screen logs associated with the theft. They said that is doesn't work the same way as it does in WoW. They don't have IP or data logs via trading, so they can't possibly track the person who logged into my account and traded/sold my stuff away.

Again, it was my fault for such low security. But wow! I didn't know that Blizzard support was so... narrow. I never joined any type of "secret" website or used any 3rd party software etc. So all of this is rather shocking. But being called a "gold duper" really ticked me off.

That really does suck, but if you take into consideration how many players Blizzard has, it is not surprising they give out 'canned messages'.

Give them feedback in a polite way that they should be more sensitive towards people whose accounts have been stolen. After I dealt with a GM in WoW recently, I got given a customer service survey asking me how I felt it went. Did you get something similar? You do need to tell them it is not cool to call people gold dupers without knowing first who they are talking to. If you don't say anything, they won't know and will continue.

Otherwise, just let it roll off your back, especially if you really enjoy the game. There are much worse things one can be called...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

I bet it would have sold 30M if it lived up to the hype, but if retailers would have allowed refunds, the numbers would be substantially lower than 10M or even 3M. It really is sad tha Blizzard has such lax security in an effort to sell authenticators, and even sadder that they are trying to push authenticators in a single player game. Oh well, at least we have Borderlands and Torchlight.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• DemandmanDemandman Member Posts: 57

I've cheated left and right in WoW, receiving warnings and temp bans for it all, though never permanent. I have a hard time believing that people ever get banned in WoW without severely breaking the ToS. Are you in denial?

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Demandman

I've cheated left and right in WoW, receiving warnings and temp bans for it all, though never permanent. I have a hard time believing that people ever get banned in WoW without severely breaking the ToS. Are you in denial?

When someone steals your account, do you seriously think that anything they do will be legal? They'd just use their own account. I had mine stolen... and they did lock it twice for the one incident.. and the second time they were asking for photo ID. I told them I would give it to them later... and later ended up being never, lol. I had a good seven year run with the game, but Cata-era gameplay was not worth all of that garbage.

The real kicker was that I had the Android authenticator, but lost my phone... and since my WoW account was inactive and the polhone was reported and replaced, I thought it was about as secure as things get... boy was I wrong!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

I am sorry to be the jerk here but...

Have you not heard of Blizzard Authenticator?

It's free if you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad and free for all Android users.

OR you can buy for 9 bucks the physical authenticator.

Surely with all that gaming history you have you would have been smart enough to protect your account?i

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Unfortunately Blizzard customer service is being overwhelmed by thieves and clueless people so they don't have the ability to give issues the immediate service they deserve. Submit your ticket and wait.

This poster speaks the truth.  If the OP is being forthright in his claims, he will be vindicated. 

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • 207312207312 Member UncommonPosts: 35

You should've just played without your stuff ;_;

Can't win with blizzard.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by 207312

Can't win with blizzard.

oh people won...........blizzard lost.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

I am sorry to be the jerk here but...

Have you not heard of Blizzard Authenticator?

It's free if you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad and free for all Android users.

OR you can buy for 9 bucks the physical authenticator.

Surely with all that gaming history you have you would have been smart enough to protect your account?i

hackers are getting clever, rather than try and hack Blizzard, which is virtually impossible, they hack the players, and by stealing email accounts, they can effectively take control of any game associated with that email address, and if their smart, get the account shifted to yet another email address that cuts virtually any possibility of the original account owner from reclaiming it, amazes me that people have such bad security practices, given todays internets 'crime rate' which is humongous. But, having an authenticator will usually be enough of a hurdle to encourage a would be hacker to pick on someone with a less protected account, and boy are there plenty of those. Chances are the email address the guy used was obtained from a WoW/D3 associated forum.image

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Wow,

we dont have the same systems in place to protect our customers in Diablo 3 as we do in Wow so sorry we cant help you. 

Thats amazing to me.  In a game where they are actually dealing in real cash transactions they cut corners on logging.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by MurlockDance

(snip)

I came home after work on a friday afternoon and was logging into World of Warcraft when I was prompted by a pop-up message telling me my account was locked down. So, I went digging through my e-mails and came across a Blizzard e-mail stating that I had broken the TOS. They had pointed out that I had "illegally" changed characters from one server to the next on my accounts. Apparently from what they stated. The service they offered was against their rules. Now mind you I had fixed the issue and validated all my account information so I could get the account up and running that night for raiding (by the way, when they lock down your account, you lose that months subscription. Remember that for the rest of this post). After Friday nights raid. I tried logging back on saturday to do progression and came across the same issue again. It turns out they wanted more information (SSN, Identification, Birth Certificate, etc). Even after I had given them my valid CC(credit card) to validate that I indeed was the person in control of the account. So, I made a photocopy of my I.D. and sent it to Blizzard. Later that night my account was unlocked and I was able to play again.

(snip)

Underlined : What on earth?! I never, ever heard of this happening in a video game, ever! I have a hard time believing that. It is not like you put your SSN in your account details. How do they even know who you are based on your SSN from the information you give them when you set up your account? Also, not all of the players on USA are American citizens and have one. I call shenanigans on that.

Plus, how can you be in violation if you use THEIR offered services? This whole thing does not make sense or you didn't explain it properly.

It's exactly why I no longer play Blizzard games anymore, it made no sense to me either. They wanted identification and SSN falls under that catigory for them. The reason I was blocked was for using their character transfers and server changes.

Are you sure you were actually in contact with Blizzard and not a third party? I also have NEVER heard of a game company wanting someone's SSN. In fact most of that information is outright refused by companies if you try to give it for liability issues. Something isn't right there. Sounds like a phishing scam. Hope you didn't call the number that was given in the e-mail.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by Avarix
    Originally posted by MurlockDance

(snip)

(snip)

It's exactly why I no longer play Blizzard games anymore, it made no sense to me either. They wanted identification and SSN falls under that catigory for them. The reason I was blocked was for using their character transfers and server changes.

Are you sure you were actually in contact with Blizzard and not a third party? I also have NEVER heard of a game company wanting someone's SSN. In fact most of that information is outright refused by companies if you try to give it for liability issues. Something isn't right there. Sounds like a phishing scam. Hope you didn't call the number that was given in the e-mail.

No, it was just some other "Blizzard" corporation that was locking my account. What kind of question is this? No I don't call phone numbers through e-mails. I used Blizzards main site to obtain their phone number which is 1-800-592-5499. It was indeed from their company. No phisher could lock down my account.

I apologize. I didn't mean to upset you. It's simply ludicrous to hand a game company your Social Security Number AND Birth Certificate. I didn't even like giving those to get my driver's license, let alone to play World of Warcraft. I just don't find it plausible that they actually asked and accepted those things from you. It's baffling to me.