Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The next big thing?

LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119

It has everything most mmo players have been asking for and more, i do believe it really has a shoot at being there, if people give it a chance.

The last option is for people that dont know anything about the game but still want to vote?

Back to the game, it has:

Open world, full pvp, epic mass pvp, sieges, its skill based, and player skill matters more than numbers, housing in the open world in the form of castles that you build, has variety like i havent seen in any mmo yet and a lot of other stuff just screams "THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR".

The game has depth, you can ambush other clans, protect or assault caravans, steal, spy, explore. Exploration is actually rewarded.

Really cant belive that a game like this isnt getting all the attention of this site, or the whole industry for that matter.

Comments

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145

People might just not like the setting. I didn't really read up on it until after the beta ended so I clearly didn't play it though people seem to be liking it when they do. Hopefully I'll get a key or someone will PM me one some time. But back to the main point, people here seem to love fantasy settings but given its oriental flavor it might just strike people as "another f2p p2w grindy etc. out of China" so they won't look into it. Plus they might not have the resources for that kind of exposure at the moment.

I do hear it is on Greenlight though so that might lead to some discoveries for it.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by LhynnSaint

It has everything most mmo players have been asking for and more, i do believe it really has a shoot at being there, if people give it a chance.

The last option is for people that dont know anything about the game but still want to vote?

Back to the game, it has:

Open world, full pvp, epic mass pvp, sieges, its skill based, and player skill matters more than numbers, housing in the open world in the form of castles that you build, has variety like i havent seen in any mmo yet and a lot of other stuff just screams "THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR".

The game has depth, you can ambush other clans, protect or assault caravans, steal, spy, explore. Exploration is actually rewarded.

Really cant belive that a game like this isnt getting all the attention of this site, or the whole industry for that matter.

As soon as you said 'stealing' I marked this game as a pass.  If it's real open PVP not everyone likes open world PVP which could be why it's not getting the attention you noticed.  

Not everyone likes to play the things you mention, steal, ambush, ganking.   For those who do I guess they will love this game.   For me, pass.   But I hope it is as good as you say it is for those who enjoy that type of gameplay.

I don't think there is outright looting of people you kill in pvp. What I've read about and what I think he means, though I don't know for sure, is that you can steal skill books from opposing schools areas. Not sure for what purpose but I keep reading about that and nothing so far about loot pvp that I recall.

But it does appear to have world pvp. In fact I've read your player can get kidnapped while offline though I have aboslutely no idea how that mechanic works.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by RandomDown

I don't think there is outright looting of people you kill in pvp. What I've read about and what I think he means, though I don't know for sure, is that you can steal skill books from opposing schools areas. Not sure for what purpose but I keep reading about that and nothing so far about loot pvp that I recall.

But it does appear to have world pvp. In fact I've read your player can get kidnapped while offline though I have aboslutely no idea how that mechanic works.

Aye, you can invade enemy schools and steal their manuscripts, o steal intelligence from offline players.

The first thing allows to get the secret techniques from the school, wich would allow your martial artist to know every single technique in the game. All out wars are fought over these manuscripts as they are truly valuable.

The second one means hiding and stealthing your way into the rival school, targeting offline players (they are NPCs) and steal information from them. and avoiding online players that are patrolling the school.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I did not like the look of it from the video I saw.

I did not see combat, just running around town. The visuals did not entice me one bit though.

Edit: Changed gameplay to combat

Originally posted by angerbeaver

I did not see combat, just running around town. The visuals did not entice me one bit though.

Well, it does have better graphics than any of the mmos you have played, so i dont see how that would be an issue to you. the combat can get really intense, it has a depth i havent seen in any other game, where its more about movement, positioning and trying to read your opponent than anything else, attacking isnt always a good ideaand every skill set has its own characteristincs that diferentiate from all the rest.

it really has that cinematographic feel to it, theres a lot more than just standing there and hitting eachother on the shins to see who has the bigger boots.

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Doesnt this game have over 10 mill subs in china? And yeah, this game deserves more attention. Im a lil mindful about eu tho as gpotato is the publisher
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
       Chop sockie isnt my thing, wish they had wrapped all the awesome differently

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

I am actually interested in this game, at least to research and play to formulate a better opinion, but it is far too pvp centric to be "The next big thing" in western countries.

It does however pique my interest far more than Darkfall.

You stay sassy!

Aye, you can invade enemy schools and steal their manuscripts, o steal intelligence from offline players.

The first thing allows to get the secret techniques from the school, wich would allow your martial artist to know every single technique in the game. All out wars are fought over these manuscripts as they are truly valuable.

The second one means hiding and stealthing your way into the rival school, targeting offline players (they are NPCs) and steal information from them. and avoiding online players that are patrolling the school.

Originally posted by apocoluster

What does the information do in the game exactly? Does it make it easier to obtain the manuscript or something? Also feel free to send me a spare key for the December beta if you get one, I wouldn't hate you for it <_<.

Also Apoco, what does that mean? Is that a slur of some sort?

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by apocoluster

What does the information do in the game exactly? Does it make it easier to obtain the manuscript or something? Also feel free to send me a spare key for the December beta if you get one, I wouldn't hate you for it <_<.

Chop Sockie, yah real old slur/slang for the old Kung Fu movies  ie   Chopsockie flicks  :)   Not a racial slur

lol I mispelled it too  chopsocky

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

I really don't think that MOST of the MMO players ever asked for open world full PvP. This game will be a niche if it stays in this way. Their forum is already full of complaints due to people being killed even in the cities and everywhere. 

I watched the trailer...the running on the surface of the water looked very stupid. I would overlook it though if it wasn't a PKer's wet dream, but since it is it has no chance to gather a big audience in the west.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by angerbeaver

Well, it does have better graphics than any of the mmos you have played, so i dont see how that would be an issue to you. the combat can get really intense, it has a depth i havent seen in any other game, where its more about movement, positioning and trying to read your opponent than anything else, attacking isnt always a good ideaand every skill set has its own characteristincs that diferentiate from all the rest.

it really has that cinematographic feel to it, theres a lot more than just standing there and hitting eachother on the shins to see who has the bigger boots.

I much prefer the look lotro has graphics wise to any of the other games I have played. So, in my opinion no it doesn't have better graphics. At least again from the video I saw. Maybe the guy was recording using low settings, I have no idea.

A different video I just youtubed -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp4DaQ8Tk_w  To me it seems too cartoony to my liking. I'm not saying it is hideous, it just isnt my style of environment.

To answer the question, I cannot see it being the next big thing.

You take it to your school and get paid for it, you also get paid for discovering and hunting spies, and the amount of exp you get is huge compared to simply killing mobs or questing. you even get exp for pvping or watching people pvp.

December CB will be for suscribers only as far as i know.

Also when you are attacking the enemy school for manuscripts you have to escape, stealing the paper is half the job, getting out of there alive is the other half (the hard part if you will), so having a plan of escape and a path is always recomended, also working as a team with other people makes things easier, but you can be strong as a lone wolf if you want to.

Originally posted by Sinella

I really don't think that MOST of the MMO players ever asked for open world full PvP. This game will be a niche if it stays in this way. Their forum is already full of complaints due to people being killed even in the cities and everywhere. 

I watched the trailer...the running on the surface of the water looked very stupid. I would overlook it though if it wasn't a PKer's wet dream, but since it is it has no chance to gather a big audience in the west.

Most players dont ask for it. Just people on this forum seem to have a hard on for it and they think since their insular community prefers it, it is indicative of the community as a whole. As a matter of fact, even on a games official forum, users make up only ~10% of the player base as a whole and don't "speak for everybody" though most feel that way.

But yeah if even cities aren't safe zones I can see it being tedious. I don't mind world pvp, I enjoyed Shadowbane for what it was, but if even NPC cities are completely open, I could see it wearing on me. I'll try to reserve judgement since I prefer to try most games especially since it hasmore features I like than I dislike (that I am aware of at the moment). The wardrobe isn't something I like a ton, but I love playing dress up in my MMOs so I'm sure I can find a way to look oh so pretty.

Also heh that is such an old and bizarre term. Interesting factoid though, thanks for explaining.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

I'm not sure that i understand it correctly but we can choose if we will be transformed into NPCs after logg off.

It says something that when we log off, we can leave our char to craft and get rested XP, and that leads to transform our char into NPC only.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    Hesistant about it. It's GPotato EU, they've shown they like to resort to pay to win.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

...full pvp, epic mass pvp, sieges, ...
    These three here seem to be highly touted. Unfortunately, not my type of gameplay. Looking for info about what the game is about on webpage is futile. The only game info I can find is the 8 schools one can choose to follow and the era it takes place in. Sure looks pretty, though :) I think I'll pass on this one, though it does seem to be a PvPers dream.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Well nuts, but who knows maybe you will end up with one, optimism isn't always a bad thing =). Though I recall reading its only $10 so maybe when I get back to the states in a couple of days I'll consider purchasing it so it wont be a big loss one way or another.

Well our publisher here is Snail Games I think it is? So /shrug dunno anything about them.

Originally posted by defector1968

I'm not sure that i understand it correctly but we can choose if we will be transformed into NPCs after logg off.

It says something that when we log off, we can leave our char to craft and get rested XP, and that leads to transform our char into NPC only.

Actually after you log out your character becomes an NPC, he walks around your school if thats where you left him, he works in wichever work hes able to do and makes some money, or he goes on adventures and discovers treasures and stuff, so when you log back in you can find yourself in the middle of a mansion from a small sect, or in a city far away.

You can also get kidnapped, the kidnapper is a player character that drugs your NPC and sells it to slavers or other kind of scum. and you can for example log in to find that youve been working as service in a gamblin den.

You can opt to become a constable, and hunt down criminals (usually PKers) and kidnappers and get rewarded for it.

The stronger you are the harder you are to kidnap.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

There havent been anything big for 9 years or so ago.....

I doubt the quality will return in my lifetime since too many devs and companies are so stubborn or lack imagination and creativity and greedy which blinds them from meeting expectations.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

Originally posted by Jonoku

There havent been anything big for 9 years or so ago.....

I doubt the quality will return in my lifetime since too many devs and companies are so stubborn or lack imagination and creativity and greedy which blinds them from meeting expectations.

True, but either you blind yourself or try new things with the hope that something good will actually come. i really think this game is different.

Some of the systems sound pretty creative to me. And greedy? How can a business be greedy? By virtue of being a business it is aiming to maximize its profit. Just because they make games for a mass market appeal and then try to get the most they can out of it (my god how could they?!) doesn't make them bad. In fact it makes them a good business.
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Some of the systems sound pretty creative to me. And greedy? How can a business be greedy? By virtue of being a business it is aiming to maximize its profit. Just because they make games for a mass market appeal and then try to get the most they can out of it (my god how could they?!) doesn't make them bad. In fact it makes them a good business.

So what your saying is WoW clones are okay. :) Thats what I mean by greedy, copying another company hoping to get the same success as another company.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

Let's get one thing straight here. Wow's success is largely due to the fact it appealed to previous non-pc gamers and can still be run by "sit-at-home-out-of-work-lower-class" on their 7 year old pc. Wow did many things better than most and some things right but for the most part it failed most hardcore gamers. The entire point is that there isn't enough hardcore PC gamers with $1500+ pcs in the entire world interested in one genre to fill a game with 12 million players.

The majority of WoW players have a pc they couldn't sell in Kijiji for more than $150 and the only other games on their pc is what came with Windows or able to run on a smartphone.

Stop thinking WoW is the hardcore gamers holy grail. It isn't. It is the MMO equivalent of Angry Birds and the developers know this.

You stay sassy!