Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta - Do you normally Purchase or Avoid after playing?

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I can't even tell you how many games in beta-mode I've tested. From what I've experienced, what you see in beta is what you generally get at launch. That's not always the case, though.

Has a beta ever changed your mind about wether or not to purchase the official game? Which ones?

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

I can't even tell you how many games in beta-mode I've tested. From what I've experienced, what you see in beta is what you generally get at launch. That's not always the case, though.

Has a beta ever changed your mind about wether or not to purchase the official game? Which ones?

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict an overwhelmingly negative response here...

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Just once, If I sign up for a beta and get in its usually a game I'am interested in, in the first place. The only game that swayed my opinion to not buy after closed beta testing was The Secret World.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Tera - Played the beta. Thought it was cool at first. However, after doing the typical quest hub to quest hub, I decided against it. Did not purchase.

Aion - Same thing as above. Did not purchase.

SWTOR - Played the beta. I knew it lacked so much to even be considered a MMO. However, I still purchased it simply due to the fact that it was Star Wars (wishful thinking).

Star Trek Online - I'm so glad I got to experience the beta. I was ready to purchase this game. After playing it via beta, I dodged a bullet. Did not purchase.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I've been able to decide before beta and the beta only reinforces my stance with the game to either buy or not buy.
  • Requiem: Bloodymare, Aion and GW2 betas convinced me not to buy those games.
  • BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    I try to get into as many betas as possible and they always inform my decision to buy or not.

(I used to feel guilty about this, but then I realized that devs WANT betas to be a marketing event and I'm happy to oblige)

I wouldn't say they "change my mind" though because it wouldn't be made up already to be changed.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Betas definitely give me a good idea if I'm interested in a game or not so I have purchased several games after playing Beta (although there have also been games that I did not). However I never pay for more than the first month's sub up front. It's impossible to know how a game will turn out once it goes live - how the community develops and what the endgame turns out to be. It usually takes a few weeks to a month before you start to see what the longterm feeling of a game is going to be and I have learned that the hard way. Just becuase I enjoy and purchase a game after beta, that doesn't mean I'll be there long term. It simply means the Devs have convinced me to give it a chance.