Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interview with SWTOR Lead Writer Hall Hood on Massively

Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Larry Everett posted on Massively interview with Hall Hood - Lead writer for SWTOR - here is link

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/28/swtor-story-secrets-revealed-by-lead-writer-hall-hood/

Exerpts:

Hall Hood: Story remains one of the four pillars for all of BioWare's games. If anything, The Old Republic's transition to a free-to-play game will create more opportunities to advance the epic story arcs and interesting characters we introduced when the game first launched. While we don't want to spoil any of the surprises, we can say that players have a lot to look forward to in the future. The war between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire is only getting started, and there are powerful new factions rising up to make trouble for both sides.

Our goal when designing stories for The Old Republic is to ensure that they can be enjoyed both while playing alone or as part of a group, and Makeb is no exception. Players of all classes will discover that their previous adventures have made them bigger celebrities than ever before, with both enemies and allies recognizing the players' characters as some of the most important people in the galaxy. Players will be summoned to Makeb precisely because of who they are and what they've done in their class plots -- and their new adventures will place them squarely at the center of the Great War.

We have plenty of devious new foes, deadly conflicts, and fun romances on the way.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Comments

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Still waiting for that ship droid romance...
  • trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

As a F2P player observing (and playing with) other F2P players, I have to think they need to do something about the quest difficulty if they are going to keep us around.

Doing all the quests I have available, I'm like 2-3 levels under what I should be. When I have to fight an elite, I get creamed, with no recourse at all except to grind.

And it seems to be the same with others, not just me. Just an hour ago, I tried to help a fellow 15th level player complete the quest he was working on, he had to kill an elite 20th level guy.  We couldn't even get him 3/4 of the way down.

Clearly, we should not have been killing a 20th level elite. Yet, the way the current XP is set up, you have to. Because there's no option, even grinding is difficult because everyone else is grinding, it's hard to find mobs to kill in some spots.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

As a F2P player observing (and playing with) other F2P players, I have to think they need to do something about the quest difficulty if they are going to keep us around.

Doing all the quests I have available, I'm like 2-3 levels under what I should be. When I have to fight an elite, I get creamed, with no recourse at all except to grind.

And it seems to be the same with others, not just me. Just an hour ago, I tried to help a fellow 15th level player complete the quest he was working on, he had to kill an elite 20th level guy.  We couldn't even get him 3/4 of the way down.

Clearly, we should not have been killing a 20th level elite. Yet, the way the current XP is set up, you have to. Because there's no option, even grinding is difficult because everyone else is grinding, it's hard to find mobs to kill in some spots.

I experienced the same issue. I try to get a flashpoint or two in every couple of levels and it helps out a bit. 

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
          I guess SWTOR doesn't read all the complaints.. It was obvious to me on the server I was on, the biggest complaint was that Bioware focused so hard on this 4th pillar, they dropped the ball on everything else.. Even now all I hear from Bioware is story, story, story and more story.... I don't want anymore damn stories..  I want to LIVE my own.. lol  I would be surprised if this game is even talked about a year from now..
  • SlechtvalkSlechtvalk Member Posts: 33
    Almost every planet got bonus quests if you made the main story. i.e. Taris, on republic side, you can leave as level 24. If you do also the bonus series.
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Sadly Hall Hood didn't answer honestly and clear. He more sidetracked and talked down the questions.

I'm not sure i want to trust the "wording" of a guy calling operation cutscenes an [worthy] 4.Pillar they [still claim] to carry. Honestly there was no [zero] Class Story since release.

It's obvious the "4th Pillar" ceased to exist. Keep in mind, the 4th Pillar is not just [any] story but the way the claimed it to be the last 50 Levels. Any Raid has "story" with cutscenes and that's about what the so called "4th Pillar" continuation the Dread Masters are.

They are not even deep enough to be worth called average Quest story. Just something you skip during your raid.

It's worrysome if that is all he can bring up for his claim of "4th pillar".

I could link a statement about the 1 year worth of content and class story they have in store but i will refrain from adding hurt to the injury.

The usual EAWARE bulltalk aside, on a bright note:
    They still have basic story telling in Makeb (could have been worse)...yay.
    I would just wish, these people could be for once honest and then maybe...just maybe we can look completly happy forward for features which are not EAtalked into the second coming.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Standard reply:

"Soon soon soon, we have some epic things in store, soon soon soon...."

We are still waiting for "epic things in store" since....January...

Where are class stories, since Makeb will be generic MMO crap hub quests?

What IS worrisome is that they now call THAT 4th pillar.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Story is the best part of game and I think that majority of current players would be very disappointed it the story would not be a focus of SWTOR. We have plenty of other MMOs which focus on different things, this is the only one that's different.

Sure, they should add some other stuff, customization of ships would be a cool thing if implemented, I don't really think we need housing - ships are our house.

But story is what SWTOR is about and it should be continued. 

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I want to come back once character transfers and new animations are in, I love their combat animations the most, I can't forget the story though and the pro voice acting!

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games