Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you happy with the amount of after-release-content so far?[Poll]

KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

There was a lot of talk of how this game because of it's business model would not release almost any content after launch. It seems like its the other way around, and as usual people created threads about the horrible business model that is B2P and the lack of after-release content we would see. What do you think, is the pace at which they are going good?

EDIT: This isn't about the "gear grind vs no gear grind" debate. It's about the amount and to some extenct quality of content that has been added since release.

Just to help: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

Comments

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Everyone following GW2 in the develpment should have catch up upon that ArenaNet wanted to change the picture of B2P not being supported with new content after development.

So it is really just as expected that alot would come afterwards

The much more important question is if it comes to early , so it basicly overshadows fundemental issues that should have been dealt with first.

Unfortunatly i feel thats the case.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by greenreen

Pace is fast, bugs are many.

There are still profession skills that don't work in the game.

There is one profession that has over 100 bugs, they instead send updates that they are balancing things. There is for ex. a trait in the mesmer profession that if you take one it negates one earlier in the tree from working. Now, how many people know about it? Only those picking at numbers and testing everything.

The event - oh that hideous display of bugs.

First round - complete lag, no looting possible so I couldn't complete the mission.

Second round - none of the NPCs would react so couldn't do the treasure hunting. One NPC had over 30 people standing at it, they waited over 1/2 hours and it never reacted.

Third round - I was mad by then and leaving but others said again, it was too laggy to participate and some ppl even got disconnected and lost all rewards.

The entire event we got mail from the NPC nonstop, when you zoned, when you changed characters, all the time, the same mail over and over.

Quantity does not equal quality sometimes. Someone once accused them of being too ambitious for what they were putting out as a final version, I think that person may be onto something. Are they rushing or just not testing? None of us are there to know, we only see what gets patched in the game.

I would rather have a game that had less bugs than regular content updates that were wonky, that's part of why I walked away. Once I thought about the whole range of problems, I could see that things won't change. Already they are now working on their third event in as many months. Meanwhile the "when it's ready" mantra has been tossed aside. There are still lots of things that aren't any priority to fix, things that were part of the game at the start like profession skills and traits. If it were in my hands I would consider those priorities to fix, they don't evidenced by what they balance instead or things like the introduction of a new set of gear and a dungeon instead of actually nailing down the bugs.

It may be the boring part to fix the bugs but everyone that comments on wow's success always says their polish put them above others, they were willing to go back and fix bugs instead of jumping to other things. I imagine that this game values events over bug fixes because they think events will log ppl in, it does but only gives them more things to complain about if the performance of the event isn't flawless.

I don't feel that bugs have been at all a big issue in my experience, I've played other games with way more of a buggy feel to them. I don't have any doubts that they are working on bugs. I do agree that the events have been very buggy during that first day or so, its a learning experience.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Definately not.  Game was fun for a little while, and had a ton of longterm potential, but they lost me with the direction they've been taking it.  I levelled up a few characters and it was a nice little themepark ride, but they've given me absolutely nothing I'd want to stick around for.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

The amount is good but what really pissed me off was the way they handled the scavenger hunt for the Karka event.

They promised us an extension for this event and then they fixed part 1 and removed part 2 within the same patch.

Just to give us an "You could have read a guide and you would have seen that part 2 was working independently so you had your chance and now we took it offline."

Anyway after a first rant that they lied about gear progression I am now ok with ascension gear. I am doing the fractals dungeon with a bunch of nice vikings and it's the most fun I had in this game in a while.

I just hope.. I seriously hope.. that they learned their lesson from the Karka event. I don't want to see mad lag like that ever again. That's something that should have died in 2003.

Also putting the new dungeon into the capital was a really stupid idea. Hanging in the overflow is a daily thing now and the map chat has died, showing nothing but "LFG" - and if that isn't enough: 3 messages within 5 minutes will mark you as spammer and you will be blocked from using map chat for a while.

I want them to start listening to us again:

-Don't use the capital as hub to enter the new dungeon

-Give us a separate lfg channel or a dungeon finder tool

-Give us the chance to finish the scavenger hunt just so we get to see that storyline

Harbinger of Fools
  • ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Originally posted by greenreen

Pace is fast, bugs are many.

There are still profession skills that don't work in the game.

There is one profession that has over 100 bugs, they instead send updates that they are balancing things. There is for ex. a trait in the mesmer profession that if you take one it negates one earlier in the tree from working. Now, how many people know about it? Only those picking at numbers and testing everything. Is that really what I, as the player, should be doing once we are past betas, telling you when my skills don't work and waiting - watching every patch and seeing it go unaddressed while you "balance" me against other player's complaints.

The event - oh that hideous display of bugs.

First round - complete lag, no looting possible so I couldn't complete the mission.

Second round - none of the NPCs would react so couldn't do the treasure hunting. One NPC had over 30 people standing at it, they waited over 1/2 hours and it never reacted.

Third round - I was mad by then and leaving but others said again, it was too laggy to participate and some ppl even got disconnected and lost all rewards.

The entire event we got mail from the NPC nonstop, when you zoned, when you changed characters, all the time, the same mail over and over.

Quantity does not equal quality sometimes. Someone once accused them of being too ambitious for what they were putting out as a final version, I think that person may be onto something. Are they rushing or just not testing? None of us are there to know, we only see what gets patched in the game.

I would rather have a game that had less bugs than regular content updates that were wonky, that's part of why I walked away. Once I thought about the whole range of problems, I could see that things won't change. Already they are now working on their third event in as many months. Meanwhile the "when it's ready" mantra has been tossed aside. There are still lots of things that aren't any priority to fix, things that were part of the game at the start like profession skills and traits. If it were in my hands I would consider those priorities to fix, they don't evidenced by what they balance instead or things like the introduction of a new set of gear and a dungeon instead of actually nailing down the bugs. And NOW they put double pressure on it because they didn't release multiple ways to get that new gear, NOW they have to spend time doing that mess to keep some ppl but they knew it ahead of time, they knew ppl wouldn't want to be forced to do anything, pvp or pve. Instead of waiting it feels like they pushed it out in an attempt to keep ppl logged in - the ppl that really mattered, the dungeon crawlers, the rest of the players were secondary, after all, they added it first in the dungeon.

It may be the boring part to fix the bugs but everyone that comments on wow's success always says their polish put them above others, they were willing to go back and fix bugs instead of jumping to other things. I imagine that this game values events over bug fixes because they think events will log ppl in, it does but only gives them more things to complain about if the performance of the event isn't flawless. I really don't know why they are pushing these events so hard as they do other than the business model of free to play after the purchase being a way to sell the random chance of loot boxes because they had them in every event so far. Time will see if these magical boxes show up on their next event too, I have an idea they will [wink]

Still one of the best problem free releases i have ever played since ive started playing mmos in 2001. Probably one of the best you have ever played too.....

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

They never lied about gear progression the information was there. It's BEEN there on the main page for a long time. People just don't read or use (selective) reading. All you guys seen in the beginning was they are trying to have no traditional endgame grinding. And stopped reading or even paying attention to what was said afterwards.

No traditional endgame grinding doesn't equal no endgame at all. Or that it wouldn't have vertical scaling. They never said it wouldn't have vertical scaling people only assumed that. And now mad because you assumed wrong or just didn't read everything.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Although I don't play GW2, I voted yes based on the principle at hand. Devs adding to their mmo at a frequent rate is always good.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Although I don't play GW2, I voted yes based on the principle at hand. Devs adding to their mmo at a frequent rate is always good.

+1

To many come in here voting and expressing themselves with things that don't have much to do with the OP.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    When MMO players complain about gear progression, THEN you have seen it all. Item grind in MMOs? That's completely unheard of? Wasn't that the whole point of genre or am I missing something? It's like shooter fans complaining that in an FPS you have to kill people.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Yes the amount of content added has been very good for a 3 month old game, however i personally dont like or utilize the new content but many others do so i am good with it..

Playing GW2..

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Not really.

Very little new content for World PvE. The new level 80 mini-zone was obviously rushed for the live event and now that the related DEs are over, there really isn't anything there worth seeing or doing. One visit is enough.

Almost no one wanted a new gear progression, but they added it. Fractals of the Mist is very fun, but the difficulty level system has completely fractured the community, not to mention that it has sucked a lot of players out of the rest of the content. I still maintain that something like FotM would be well suitied for a game a year or two after release, with the exact timing about 2/3 of the way between the previous expansion and the next. Not three months after release when population distribution is already making many zones feel empty! (Later in an MMOs life, a very top heavy population distribution is to be expected and the community usually finds ways to deal with that).

The entire November Event/Content update should have been aborted and reseved for a much later date. Nothing about it and I mean nothing benefits the game or it's health moving forward. The architect behind the entire mess probably shouldn't be in a position of such responsibility, or at the very least upper management needs to be willing and able to "just say no", even if they are saying no to many hours of "wasted" production time.

We would have been better off with no November Update than with what we got. IMHO.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

Not really.

Very little new content for World PvE. The new level 80 mini-zone was obviously rushed for the live event and now that the related DEs are over, there really isn't anything there worth seeing or doing. One visit is enough.

Almost no one wanted a new gear progression, but they added it. Fractals of the Mist is very fun, but the difficulty level system has completely fractured the community, not to mention that it has sucked a lot of players out of the rest of the content. I still maintain that something like FotM would be well suitied for a game a year or two after release, with the exact timing about 2/3 of the way between the previous expansion and the next. Not three months after release when population distribution is already making many zones feel empty! (Later in an MMOs life, a very top heavy population distribution is to be expected and the community usually finds ways to deal with that).

The entire November Event/Content update should have been aborted and reseved for a much later date. Nothing about it and I mean nothing benefits the game or it's health moving forward. The architect behind the entire mess probably shouldn't be in a position of such responsibility, or at the very least upper management needs to be willing and able to "just say no", even if they are saying no to many hours of "wasted" production time.

We would have been better off with no November Update than with what we got. IMHO.

Did you see the notes on what got added? I know that it's hard to get to see all of the events because of their nature but they added a ton of things in a very short period of time. Yes, some are buggy. Others are controversial but that is aside from the topic at hand. More content than what has been added seems pretty insane to me.

Originally posted by Kuppa

+1

To many come in here voting and expressing themselves with things that don't have much to do with the OP.

So you're ONLY asking about the quantity of content, not the quality, or type of content, or anything like that?  What good is quantity, if it isn't anything that appeals to me?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by Vhaln

+1

So you're ONLY asking about the quantity of content, not the quality, or type of content, or anything like that?  What good is quantity, if it isn't anything that appeals to me?

I'm talking about quantity and quality(to some extenct). But not wether you approve/disaprove of the ideology behind the content. If they content is added and has decent quality, I don't care if it appeals to you personally or not and it's not what the thread is about(there are tons of those already). This thread is about how much they are adding in a short period of time even though they are using a different business model from the standard MMO model. But some folks want to keep turning it into the same debate that has been had over the past few weeks a million times over...

That's why I liked Foo's reply, because it's based on the topic at hand when some are still going on about the same grind vs no grind topic on every GW2 thread they can stick it into.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

+1

It doesn't matter if it appeals to you. He was just asking a general question. If you have to put the royal 'I' in then we know what the answer is.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Kuppa Originally posted by Foomerang Although I don't play GW2, I voted yes based on the principle at hand. Devs adding to their mmo at a frequent rate is always good.
    +1 To many come in here voting and expressing themselves with things that don't have much to do with the OP.

Thats like me saying what good is GW2 since it doesn't appeal to me. When obviously it appeals to a lot of people and adding stuff to a game that a lot of people like is always a good thing.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I'm of the opinion that new or added content should be paid for with a sub.  Much bigger content, like a new continent etc, is expansion worthy.

The fact that I did not have to pay for any of this new content from GW2 is mind blowing for me.  IMO, the best value you can get. 

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

The only way this question can be answered is "yes", unless someone has ridiculously out there expectations.  Going by sheer quantity of content released and the cost of the content, no one could rationally say they are unhappy with the amount of content provided at no cost to them.  However, people can question the quality and in a video game, quality does tend to get noticed more than quantity.

Anyways, the question is certainly weighted to favor the answer the author is looking for.

Originally posted by killion81

The only way this question can be answered is "yes", unless someone has ridiculously out there expectations.  Going by sheer quantity of content released and the cost of the content, no one could rationally say they are unhappy with the amount of content provided at no cost to them.  However, people can question the quality and in a video game, quality does tend to get noticed more than quantity.

Anyways, the question is certainly weighted to favor the answer the author is looking for.

While the question is posed as quantity folks are more then welcome to express their feelings towards the quality like some already have. Keep in mind bad quality does not mean content you don't like for other reasons beside quality or have an ideological difference with.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    yes. I am very impressed how much things ther are adding to the game. It feels like we are talking about different additions to the game since release. There is no slowing down. Most other mmos release a poatch and I feel like I'll have to wait for something more for the next x months. here I feel like it will be just a matter of weeks.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

There was a lot of talk of how this game because of it's business model would not release almost any content after launch. It seems like its the other way around, and as usual people created threads about the horrible business model that is B2P and the lack of after-release content we would see. What do you think, is the pace at which they are going good?

EDIT: This isn't about the "gear grind vs no gear grind" debate. It's about the amount and to some extenct quality of content that has been added since release.

I like the events and content while they are there.  The problem I have is that it doesn't stay there.  While we get new content every month or so, that content is then removed and we are back to the previous content until the next update comes out.  Maybe they will stop this type of cycle after the holidays are over, but it seems like they are making a bunch of one off events that they can cycle through after they have them all finished so that in a year they can have a series they can flip on and off when they need to while putting devs into whatever the first paid expansion is.

I'm talking about quantity and quality(to some extenct). But not wether you approve/disaprove of the ideology behind the content. If they content is added and has decent quality, I don't care if it appeals to you personally or not and it's not what the thread is about(there are tons of those already). This thread is about how much they are adding in a short period of time even though they are using a different business model from the standard MMO model. But some folks want to keep turning it into the same debate that has been had over the past few weeks a million times over...

That's why I liked Foo's reply, because it's based on the topic at hand when some are still going on about the same grind vs no grind topic on every GW2 thread they can stick it into.

Ok, then I apologize for voting, based on misunderstanding.  If I could change my vote, I'd go with #3, instead.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I'm happy with the content.The events are when i mostly log in now, as the original content is getting a bit stale.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    The amount of content released so far is fine.  I just hate the overall design of GW2 endgame.  Adding content that just adds to that design isn't interesting to me.