Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what were you expecting for swtor before the launch?

13»

Comments

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
    Originally posted by lucasdeis

when you were waiting for the game, watching the videos reading the forums of swtor

how did you think BEFORE the Launch, the game was going to be like?

Exactly like every other release , but with light sabres and wookies?  A typical failure.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    The leveling experience to be 100% class storylines.
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I was expecting them to actually put some effort into there world design and World PvP (illum and the FFA area on Tatooine).  I would still be playing today if illum wasn't such a complete failure. That's all I was expecting, I knew the shortcomings of the rest of the game while playing Beta. 

Oh and the Repub/Imp Fleet was a terrible idea. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I already had a general idea of how it was going to play out. 

The only major issues I had were the lack of a group finder and customizable UI.  The load times can be annoying but I can live with them.

Watching GW2 also suffer a steep dropoff in players just tells me that this generation of MMO players are hard to entertain for more than a month or two.  Watching so many MMOs fall flat in front of WoW just makes you realize how difficult it is to build a game that'll attract and maintain millions of subscribers.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by lotaparty

when you were waiting for the game, watching the videos reading the forums of swtor

i was expecting quality dialogues and that is very much that i got :)

Same here, but with it being more of a MMO, especially as they stated it had the potential for a ten year lifespan

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-07-star-wars-tor-is-a-10-year-opportunity

I played SWG from July 2003 to Dec 15th 2011, and did not get bored of it at all, and a lot of people did, despite the NGE and whatnot.

So expected something similar, but that is not the case, and not only did the game bore me, but it also bore 75% of 2 million people within a few months. After that huge loss it is not going to last 10 years now, and I bet EA are working on another project to replace SWTOR to get their money back.

If you plan on playing a MMO for months, like a single player game then  SWTOR > SWG, but if you plan on playing for years / long term then SWG > SWTOR

The other thing I expected before release was that the game was going to be free to play, because it got leaked it was going to be, then immediately afterwards they retracted that statement.

SWTOR is just not worth a $15 fee. I guess they are charging that due to the OTT cost of the game.

LOL. I forgot about this hilarious piece of arrogance. 'The ten year lifespan'. What fools they were. 

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

living immersive worlds

better graphics, some realism instead of 2005 look

real space combat/trading exploration

less linear gameplay

no freakin loadingscreens everywhere

better cutscenes, seriously those cutscenes are so bad and boring, it hurts

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I too thought it would be like WoW but with Star Wars theme.  I was expecting multiple leveling experiences and each class story line being the brunt of your time leveling.  I thought each class would feel unique in it's own way, for both factions.  I thought each world would feel like a WoW zone and feel seamless and cross and interact with the enemy faction. 

What I got was the opposite.  I got 20% class story and 80% world and side quests that every character has to do to level up.  All the same path.  No deep variation on leveling choice.  As to classes, we got 4 different ones and their mirrors on the other side felt the same.  Felt pointless to level up anything beyond one character.  Big no no, that. 

With planets we got the same crap that ruined WAR pve, parallel leveling zones per faction with the occasional crossing here and there, and extremely linear tunneling of said pve content.

I also hoped Space combat would be more fun and free roam and if not free roam at the least feel like an awesome game of Rogue Squadron.  We didn't, we got an extremely on rails space system that felt tacked on and just pointless.  No story lines to go with it either which makes no sense for a game touting story as it's main 4th pillar.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Much better, longer, much more meaningful (well at least something meaningful...like anything meaninful really) and much more quality class stories.

Whole slew of low quality generic MMO quests took precedence and it showed, and now they said new class stories are not on their radar, just more of low quality generic MMO stuff.

A shame really.

• MisterTeaBHMisterTeaBH Member Posts: 22
    A very good story line, which is what I got I quit at the end of month 1 after completing all the solo content + raids, dungoens although having an ok story were terrible so i never done more than the first 2
  • Hyperion5182Hyperion5182 Member Posts: 66

I thought it was going to be the game EVE had yet to become.

I thought i was going to get Star Wars Galaxy's reborn.

I thought i was going to be able to take a period era starship and lance through blocades if that was what was needed.

I thought my character was going to be able to make true headway.

I thought that with the budget spent, with the talent brought in, that it was going to FINALLY HAVE TRUE DYNAMIC ZONES SOMETHING NO MMO HAS EVER DONE.

I thought, that if i made a soldier, that i wouldnt be looking to be a traitor/darkside all the damned time.

There was a lot i was expecting. None of it fulfilled. And all of it needed to be for it to be the game everyone demanded in the face of SWG's shutdown.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I was actually not following at all any articles that were creating kind of hype .... up to maybe last month or less before release, when started to think to try .... and wow ... was real discovery. Would never immagine before game that was not at all in my radar, would become my best game ever of any genre! Comparable only to wow and partially Rift. Said this I have been enjoying a lot also of course Aoc, War, Eq, Eq2, .....

• hh33hh33 Member Posts: 55

My prediction was that SWTOR was going to be F2P by the end of the first year and I was correct.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    • A rich story where choices mattered and consequences were dealt with later.
    • A development studio and management that would break new ground rather then cast from the same molds
    • Classes that weren't just mirrors of each other
    • Companions that were all viable, depending on the situation.
    • Most of all, I expected to find an MMO that I could play for years with my wife and guildmates.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

The new Messias.

The second coming of Jesus.

The new version of sliced bread.

I bought into the hype and got screwed.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I didn't expect SWTOR to be totally different. I just expected some crucial parts to be different or added.

- more open worlds, less confined typical Bioware tunnels

- more details in animated, believable worlds and cities not so dull, soulless places. No NPC really works or does something, for instance.

- I surely expected SOME things from SWG to be used in some form; like player cities, non combat systems (entertainers, image designers asf) and a more broad crafting system. I did not expect a sandbox, but some sandbox elements, not NONE.

- playable Alien races

- really open space or no space at all

- also more interesting quests, these are so mindless standard stuff a lot of them at least

- I would have thought a bit more social content, either events or invasions like in Rift or GW2, something along those lines, but SWTOR is way too antisocial IMVPO. Those social points are a total FAIL.

Overall, something to make it more a world and less just a sort of theatre stage.

EDIT: Oh any where again are those 10 years of content you had "almost ready"?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert