Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS2 in a nutshell...LARGE nutshell

2»

Comments

• WarcannibalWarcannibal Member Posts: 24

What a crazy f'n game.  As a sniper I have good times, and bad times.  I consider it good when I run out of ammo before death, and call it bad when I get fragged.  Over.

And over.

And again.

Should be a boot from server thing for the AFKs.  Hell set it for 20 minutes standing in place.  Free up some bandwidth.

My friend is an Eng and my son is a Medic so when we are all online it can be a BLAST.

As a F2P its 8 out of 10.

Unless I just got team killed agin.

Now its a 2 out of 10.

Wait, 10 headshot kill streak achievment... 10 out of 10.

Hold up, just fell off a platform and died. 3 out of 10.

Oh noooes....

"GW2 is the Methadone to WoWs Heroin."

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Its a pretty good nuttshell that the OP made.  Yes he should uninstall as should anyone troubled by quick death in pvp.

Takes a few hours to get use to this gameplay, even if youve played a lot of FPS games.  Its not a game built for surviving the longest or going on 20 man unstoppible killing sprees.

Its an arcade war game.  plain and simple.  you play for the epic battles you take part in, which get massive and insane.

Once you get use to the game, which could take several hours of fustration, you get the hang of what to expect.  Theres no farming noobs with OP maxed out characters, and even if people start to max out its all fractional gain.  Its finding the best location per your class, knowing what to expect, then going at it as long as you can...you die then either try it again or modify what your doing.  

For instance, if you see a lot of enemy infanty, overwhelming numbers, and your not seeing tons of enemy airplains, get into a tank, find a good location, stomp those troops.

Yes if you want a competative "fair" FPS where the fights are always won by the most "skilled" FPS player, you have tons of other choices, and this game isnt fair, your quick draw and immaculate accuracy stand no chance for that errant tank round that just so happens to wipe you, your team, and the tanks teammates...or that airplane that just got shot out of the sky that happens to land on your squad...or your teammates grenade that just bounced off the wall rather than going through the window.

Its mayhem at its finest.

Is it a satisfying long term game with a deep sense of progression, long term meta gaming, and groundbreaking mechanics?  No.  It does however offer battles where youll marvel at all the crazy shit thats going on around you.  Either you love it or hate it i guess. Pointless fun lots of action and tons of epic massive battle mayhem.  

In my eyes this is the fun pointless "play it because its fun" type of game that GW2 should have been.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Many people go into this thinking its a true mmo when its more like a shooter. Basicaly its a huge shooter game with a limited persitant world (if u want to call it that). Though i do enjoy it and play daily, i just know to myself this is a shooter, dont expect more than that and i havent had an issue. And you get better over time, just keep at it.

Get the 50% bonus xp boost, better than the monthly fee. You will get mad certs and then you can try out new weapons ans upgrade your class(es). And try to deploy or travel to a base about to turn, you will get certs by doing that as well, and at a pretty fast rate.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It is a true mmo more so than many recent so called mmos (cough) - swtor
    It's not a mmorpg

Explain the difference between "limited persistent world" and just "persistent world" please as the former seems more apt for gw2 than ps2.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

best MMO to be released this yeat and best product to come from SOE in a very long time..

Dont listen to the OP he didnt even try to learn how to play, the game is great fun.. has a few lag issues at the moment thats for sure but SOE are on the case..

Anyway make sure your playing with other people trying to solo the entire enemy faction is not a good idea lol

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    While I still enjoy BF3 more in a shooter sense, I do have quite a good time with just the overall size and shape of ps2.  Never played ps1.
  • dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    It seems to me a case o horrible luck on a horrible faction (Im 90% sure he went vanu)

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by dinams
    It seems to me a case o horrible luck on a horrible faction (Im 90% sure he went vanu)

What do you mean by that? Vanu are great, hehe

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by itbewilly

My main issue is sniping people 4 or 5 times(in the head/neck area) and having them spot me and kill me with a light assault weapon? That or when you sneak in behind someone and are cloaked and they turn and instantly hit you every time(regardless how close or far away you are). Appears to be a shit load of aim hacks going on. I played Cs decently so i doubt a bunch of mmo players are going to drop me as fast as they do before i kill them specifically when i got the jump on them and hit them multiple times without some kind of bs explantion.

Unfortunately, this has a lot more to do w/ player skill than just 'hax'. That's not to say that there aren't definite hackers in this game.

However, there are a few things to take note of:

1) Sniping people 4 or 5 teams means you aren't actually shooting them in the head/neck area (unless they are a MAX unit). Guns do have bullet drop, so chances are you aren't properly factoring that into account when aiming. If a person is out sniping you with a light assault weapon, then you are most definitely too close to them. All of the rifles you start out with on recon are meant to be used from a fairly long distance (i.e. from a mountain towards some semi-distant base). Sometimes I'm even sniping people across helixes.

2) When sneaking up behind someone, they can hear you coming. Even fully cloaked and crouch-walking you still make noise. Whenever you go into stealth and back out it makes noise. A good player is going to hear that, even if they are aiming at something else, and are going to stop to have a look around to make sure they aren't being ambushed. I've caught a few enemies this way myself.

Starting as a sniper is pretty tricky. As with BF games, a majority of what you will be doing is spotting & not sniping. There's absolutely nothing you can really do against vehicles, and at best you can pick off stragglers or players trying to use outdoor terminals. Aside from spotting, the real benefit to being an infiltrator is your ability to sneak into bases & hack terminals.

If you are playing New Conglamorate, your starting rifle (bolt action) is actually capable of 1 shotting most players if you actually hit their head. If not, you'll need to save up ~100 certs to unlock your first bolt action if you want to do good damage long range. The semi-auto rifles are still good though for belting multiple units at a distance. The bolt actions are rather slow, and if your aim is off, you're going to have a bad time.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You don't need to worry about drop off as vs, however their sniper rifle needs 2 clean hits to kill.

you don't have to be an infiltrator to sniper. A light or medic with say a 4* scope attached can snipe also. The light having the advantage of being able to get into good positions but lacking the range and stealth of the infiltrator.

Good point about spotting. This is an important job for both infiltrators and lights.
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I can see why people enjoy this game but for me it was not enjoyable at all. 

It ran like a dog on my computer too, I am sure if I was playing on a machine that could get me 60fps while still looking decent I would enjoy it much more. The world feels a bit flat too, not physically flat but devoid of life, I don't understand why we are fighting over a planet that has nothing good on it?

It's one to come back to in the future I guess.

As for complaining about snipers, that makes me think the OP didn't even play, you need a headshot for one hit kill, many of the starter sniper rifles are not great, I'd suggest if hes getting picked off by snipers they are probably just good snipers and he needs to change is play style to avoid them.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Yea, I've decided I'm MUCH more accurate with my medics starter rifle than a couple of the Infil ones.  Esp. with a scope.  My medic is vicious and has the gold medal already because of it.  The sheer number of headshots he gets is RIDICULOUS.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Eladi

Also what faction were you and what was the weapon you were using in the vechicle as some are anti-personell and some are anti-tank.

starwars .. lasers...  He was a Vanu im sure ;)

Definitely!

I started NC, went TR then finally rolled VS. To me playing VS is Star Warsy with the Alien Tech background unless you like COD familiarity then go NC or TR.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I'm vs.

We had 2 continents locked down on my server last night.

Nice!

• WarcannibalWarcannibal Member Posts: 24

Holy Crap! I dont know how I missed the warpgates....

This game looks great!  I thought it was all snow haha!  Had a good run of luck again last night on my sniper, wedged in a crack of some rocks and using my Stealth/F-key after every shot I had @30 kills before getting zerged.  Eng and Medic team mates FTW.

This game gets better and better the more that people play together.  Heals, repairs, support, ground cover, air cover, heavy tanks, light infantry, I'm finding that as a team game, its really great.

I still havent bought anyhting other then a 12x scope for my nub sniper rifle.  I can only imagine how much "better" I will be once I unlock some other guns.  I have my sites set on the 1000sc gun...

"GW2 is the Methadone to WoWs Heroin."

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by sofakingdumb

PS2! 

First experience: Had to wait 3 days as EU client was bugged. PEople said there was a way to hack the .ini file on the US steam DL to openthe EU serves...but you lose all after they fix EU. So they fix it 3 days later:

1) First foot patrol expereince: Die. You will start off dropped in after a story cut scene, SOME REASON they drop you in right at an enemy base and 1 shot dead. SO you start a SECOND TIME back at your base...the real game begins (the hek SONY?) - After that odd start, I am no surronded by fellow foot troops all AFK. That is right, 50 or so men just hanging out what looks to be the rainbowiest techno room ever. Even if the chicks are there, the chick models are super manly. They did not change the body models for women.... So ok, lets move, big airships everywhere and cmputer stations to spawn one...no...I just want to get feel for combat, so I press M for map. I notice I can auto hop right into combat...but, I prefer to feel out the controls on foot. Ill walk.

As soon as you walk it (long way to go) there are aparently no life players that rolled sniper just waiting for you to walk out of the base shields....that is right, they are balls deep in your territory somewhere in the mountains just sitting there waiting for noobs to walk out not in armor...wow. OK, avoid that and it is time to auto spawn into their territory..

2) Dead again, you are sniped. HMMMM sniper does seem to have an advantage, an OP Advantage, as well, natrually it is an open world map, and since it lacks boulders and trees and objects (or absolutely useless), you are open game to sniper, so that forced me to LEARN ARMOR!

3) Got in a truck...it has 2 GIANT guns...sadly, this is strange warfare of the future so SONY pissed on all the details like caliburs. I THINK I am shooting 50 round cals, but not sure. BF free to play even gets this right. This game feels to child star wars like "here is a gun, now shoot lasers!" and it doesnt matter whos better unless it is a death star.... So that felt uneventful, and I just ended up sitting there picking off a few lost souls on dirt bikes.... and a few hits on flying objects, but im to weak for a full kill, id have to reload my truck mounted gun 6 times to do anything really threatful SIGH.

4) So I go it on foot, but this time more organized. If I die, may as well die together right? So I random squad up to more guys AFK. The lag fest and what seems hak fest was way to apparent. Guys half buried in the ground terrain. Guys shooting through walls of nature. Guys blinking in and out of existence but landing hits on you. Full invisibility (I think that is a class trait). Just not fun. All that in close quarters or open world. NOthing had a "lets strategicly stay here and provide cover fire. IN FACT THAT IS KEY ELEMENT MISSING, NOTHING felt strategic. Just sort of CIRCUMSTANTIAL. Like, oh, your in the open on ahilll, well I have a dirt bike so in this case, I speed past you hop off and shoot you. Again, Squads in BF2 were x1000000 more strategic than this pile of mastadon dump.

5) I saw CB video of guys in organized tank columns etc. THAT MIGHT work if you and homies all have L33T pcs all on same super fast connection all in synch...but your adversary, and the F2P model doesnt leave that a big choice. It is more like, AFK party, or exploit party (LOTS OF GUYS hiding shooting each other, then reserecting each other to farm points. Technically it is illegal....HAHA good luck finding these guys hiding miles deep ina canyon)

6) ALLOT MISSING.. IT felt flat. Not exciting, not exhilerating. NOt fun. Just flat. I mean, with all the models to learn from, big hint on games like BF franchise, the direct open world strategic competitor, I am shocked they fail so much. ESPECIALLY after taking players money. And poor EU that got shafted for paying for garbage for 3 days.

7) I tryed approaching this game from an mechanical point of view, Armor style play. The big galaxy class ffighters await at base to air lift 12 slots worth of seats. They are patient and it shows tact...but sitting in front of 50 AFKers with 1 guy hoping in every 10 min....that is 12 seats x 10min = 120 min of sitting and waiting for a full bird to take off...so I left and hopped into a light fighter, an airborn bird with 3 seats, all gunners.... Die at base border, cant target a thing due to lag or horrid hit box structre, or the fact my GIANT 50+ calibur guns do 2% damage on a guy on a dirt bike....YEAH that feels real...REAL STUPID.

I am uninstalling. IT just fails on every bench mark. Close combat sucks. not at all like those epic flag wars in BF Free2pay. LArge map warefare fails, as auto spawn and armor and snipers fill the voids of MEHness. base capturing is not feeling fun or rewarding. The death rate (you die 2 shots on foot, you die when noob team spawns something on you, you die for breathing, you die for loading in, you die because oyu are alive) is to high, and reward of kills to low. Even you pwn someone, the feel of reward is small, like, you may as well be shooting a wall, because your kill really doesnt matter on the gran scale of things. So it is like a large open game of QWARP...just try and move and not die...even if your team is winning you know your lame ass was not the guy difusing things...it just is re-inventing a wheel that doesnt need reinventing. IT should have copied the wheel, and just put different color spokes in between to stand out. DERP!

Although I Don't like this game myself, and frankly this game pissed me off to no end, and thought the medic and sniper classes are serioisly flawed, there are a few points you made that are incorrect.

------------------------------------

First and foremost - This game is NOT a sandbox, if it was a sandbox, it would be completly open world and allow you to go anywhere you want, which it does not.

Snipers - The Inflitrator is not Over Powered. You should really spend awhile playing the classes yourself before coming up with idea's on top of your head. Because in my experiance I assumed it was overpowered as well because I was always dying from snipers. The snipers are actually very underpowered right now. At times it takes 6 - 7 shots just to down a high ranked player.

Close Combat - It is clear from a mechanical point of veiw the Long Range Combat is very poorly inplemented, however the CQB in Planetside 2 is very well done, It's even better inplemented then even the Battlefield series. This game was made for CQB combat.

-----------------------------------

I still agree with you on everything else though. The game is catered for people who are into the Battlefield type games. I suggest trying Arma 2 it's more into player skill over who has the bigger tank.

Cheers,

-Trash

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Game of the year in a strong year for games

Joint best shooter of the past 5 years with farcry 3 (for its sandboxy skyrim like approach)

Best mmo of last decade (since eve)

The eu provider stuff is true. There are hackers, but its not as you exaggerate, and no worse than any other online game.

Everything else you say such as constantly killed by snipers is either bollox or a learn 2 play issue.

Don't take this the wrong way my friend, but EvE isn't a MMO, its a MMORPG, if you knew what a sandbox is this game isn't a sandbox by any means, and on top of that I don't think Planetside 2 requires very much learn 2 play skills. Even my 6 year old can play this game.

Cheers,

-Trash

This discussion has been closed.