Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 or WOW a bit of help

DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

WOW

Need a bit of help here if some could. In a nutshell WoWs endgame ill never be able to hit properly as i just cannot raid with my work life but it does have a gear progression that i like, yes thats right i do like to work towards something. Im not overly fussy with dailies and i am used to WOW having played it for about 5 - 6 years. Another thing that is also attractive with WoW is the whole Horde V Alliance thing where as GW2 just doesnt seem to have that.

GW2

Love the graphics, looks good. I do like the professions and races too but i think i just do not understand the whole good or bad thing. Is there a good / bad? I want to like GW2 more but im also worried that after levelling a character the endgame is going to be non-existant as ive already heard numerous horror stories about there being nothing. The thought of levelling to 80 and then just doing nothing does worry me. I know theres pvp but i also do like a little pve. Ive also noticed that the guild system doesnt have the same feel as WOW. I think because folks can be in a guild over multi servers it doesnt add to the tightnes of the whole guild thing.

Ahh i dont know just these are the 2 MMOs i enjoy right now but want to follow one of them. Im too busy for 2 but which one?

Look forward to some responses on this one as im still jumping from game to game not really getting stuck into either.

Comments

• BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72

I just fell in love with GW2. I almost didn't even buy it. But the world raid bosses in GW2 are amazing. They are multi-stage events that end in a huge boss. I was sold after that. The game has so much potential. End game probably isn't jam-packed with content yet, but GW2 did something right. You can go to any zone your level or lower and do quests and get drops that are your level. It leaves the game very open. 

WoW is good. Raid Finder is good for those who work. I personally couldn't take the new loot system for LFR, so I unsubbed. Almost two months and one piece of gear is really terrible. So it isn't the game for me. Plus, the emphasis on dailies in MoP is also one of my major issues. But that's all personal opinion.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    If pvp is your thing gw2
    If instanced pve is your thing wow
  • DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If pvp is your thing gw2

Yes this is the thing i very much enjoy both. I would say i edge towards PVE. Is the PVe that bad or lacking in GW2?

Im not hardcore by any stretch...i think a little gear progression would be noce though...just a small carrot

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Well WoW is the monster in the room.  If you want to delve into that you could.  I doubt you would hate it right off the bat.  I think typically people just get tired of playing it over time and I can't imagine any game where that doesn't eventually happen.  That's why I stopped playing WoW.  I played for 2 years off and on and I just burned out to the extent I really have never had any kind of strong urge to return. 

As for GW2 I find the game amazing.  GW2 does not have a sub fee, you just buy the box.  Now if you want go ahead and get WoW or play it if you wish, but know that buying GW2 if it even slightly appeals to you can't be a miss.  After all, you can always come back and play it anytime.   Before you do buy GW2 go on Youtube and check out gameplay to make sure it's your thing.  Read about the game on blogs, or on this website.  Get a handle on its problems, its triumphs, etc.  It has some of both. 

Hey if you are having an itch to play WoW I can't see why you wouldn't.  Thats an addictive game.  If you are considering GW2 that's never a bad idea either, because you buy it, you own it and you can play it from then on never having to worry about a sub fee.  

Concerning GW2 endgame there's WvW pvp to dive into (which I am waiting until 80 for) or map exploration.  Or you could delve into crafting if you hadn't already.  Or you could run dungeons (which isn't too different from other mmorpgs).  I think it has the typical end game stuff for the most part.  But its a fine game end game or otherwise, and if decide to give GW2 a break, it will be there later when you decide to return.  

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by DonY81
    If pvp is your thing gw2

Yes this is the thing i very much enjoy both. I would say i edge towards PVE. Is the PVe that bad or lacking in GW2?

Im not hardcore by any stretch...i think a little gear progression would be noce though...just a small carrot

PVE is great in GW2.  Its pretty much all Ive done in the month or so since I began playing.  I prefer it greatly to WoW.  There aren't as many dungeons in GW2.  But they are adding them.   For my tastes there's still plenty of dungeons though. 

As far as gear progression, I felt I needed to upgrade my gear around every six levels.  Especially weapons.  Thats something I felt was a must.  Armor I might upgrade about every 6-10 levels and I felt that to be also necessary.  Gear has stats for sure, and they are stats you need.  As far as endgame goes, yea they're adding gear progression to that too.   But the game DOES have gear progression. 

Heck with WoW I seemed to upgrade my weapons and armor about every 6-10 levels.  I find myself needing to do the exact same thing in GW2 so Im not sure why people say its lacking in gear progression.  Whatever. 

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

if u ask me, dont buy any of those two. But if you insist, gw2. Honestly the era of mmos is fading, more ppl play nowdays mobas, dotas.

Gw2 is almost dead if you play outside primetimes. Noone is doing the old dungeons anymore, a ging for the new released dungeon, because it offers the ebst gear.

Wow is just ass piece trash, shit. Well just a piece of shit.  IF you still use a pentium 3 with 500mhz and ati 12mb graphiccard, wow is the gae for you.

• AlucardlbAlucardlb Member Posts: 83
    With the LFR system in wow it makes it really easy if you dont have the time to raid 4 hours a night, atm i do the LFR raids with my guild as we all have lifes now outside the game and it takes something like 4 hours in a total week to clear it, we split it up into 2 nights and its managable for everyone and we still get to do that one part of the game we all loved doing.
  • DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by makii

if u ask me, dont buy any of those two. But if you insist, gw2. Honestly the era of mmos is fading, more ppl play nowdays mobas, dotas.

Gw2 is almost dead if you play outside primetimes. Noone is doing the old dungeons anymore, a ging for the new released dungeon, because it offers the ebst gear.

Wow is just ass piece trash, shit. Well just a piece of shit.  IF you still use a pentium 3 with 500mhz and ati 12mb graphiccard, wow is the gae for you.

I would play mobas more. I currently played a bit of smite as i cannot handle the angle of DOTa or LOL. It was ok but 1 map i cant get my head round.

Also really to above???

• XsonicXsonic Member UncommonPosts: 93
    I tried both WoW and GW2, I'd say they both are fun. I would recommend looking at more options though, there are trials for many games; best thing is to try as many as you can and find the right one.
  • ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

Have you tried Rift?

You can play till lvl20 with any Soul/Combo (you still cannot with new Expansion souls but still).

Try it and lvl at least untill you reach the capitol (Around lvl16+ more or less) with at least two classes - you will enjoy it i think. Also with new expansion you have multiple ways of lvling lvl50-lvl60 and at end game you dont have to raid (there are enough options - see game and other threads in this sites for them - rifts, pvp, IAs etc)

Just my 2 cents...

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by makii

LOL, if you think you can run WoW on a p3 500mhz and a ati 12mb GPU, you clearly haven't played WoW whatsoever.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      Dont like Wow much .. but it is a much better game than GW2
  • I'd pick WoW. Most of the time in both games is spent in combat and combat in WoW is simply a lot more slick and responsive. For me that's a major factor for PvE and PvP to even feel enjoyable. The fact that the world is seamless also makes it feel more like an MMO to me. Personally I also prefer the more western art style of WoW, even if it isn't as technically advanced as GW2. GW2 leans a bit too far into "asian art style" for my tastes.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

You sound like a PvE player who likes the gear-grind system that WOW has institutionalized. If you need that with all of it's neatly organized dungeons, official gear score checks for entry and every imaginable modern convenience for group finding, stick with WOW... as long as you can stomach Kung-Fu Panda.) Like you, I've played WOW on and off for 5 years or so but I'm not there currently. I'm playing GW2.

GW2 is actually quite a bit unlike WOW. There are many things including classes, advancement, quests and especially PVP that are very different. The graphics and sounds are miles beyond WOW's best with a less cartoony art style. Part of the attraction for me of any new MMO is learning new mechanics and systems...GW2 has that in spades. It'll feel alien to a WOW player for a little while until you get the hang of slotting skills and training talents.

But GW2 just like GW, always was and always will be all about the PVP... except now it has both, team vs. team scenario PVP with scenarios far better than WOW's best AND a persistent, three sided, 2 week-long, territory conquest PVP in an area roughly equivalent to 4+ WOW zones.

PVE, otoh, is mostly a solo affair with the "area quests" first seen in Warhammer Online and later Rift (Called Dynamic Events here,) being the main feature. There are some fun dungeons too where you'll need a group but you don't even need those for top-tier gear (except just very recently with the last patch and even then just an insignificant bit better gear that is only "better" in some dungeons) since you can get world drops, craft or even buy from vendors stuff that's just as good. 

so... classic gear progression PVE? WOW

PVP of any type? GW2

Hope that helps you.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

If you are into PvP, I would recommend WoW over GW2.  While both have fun mechanics and GW2 has WvWvW, WoW's mechanics are far more polished, they balance classes more frequently, and they have a good ranking and elo system.  GW2's balance is pretty bad at the moment (so is WoW's for certain specs but atleast all classes are viable at top level).  GW2 also has numerous bugs they are still working out (necro and ranger pets are a perfect example) and their Paid tournament system is pretty bad and can leave you queuing for hours only to be matched by the top rated players.  Not fun for casuals and people still learning.  Even the top rated players are expressing doubts about the tournament system and asking Anet to adopt something similar to League of Legends or WoW.

GW2 is a great game but it suffers from problems and lack of content.  These will be addressed eventually, but right now I cannot recommend GW2 over WoW's pvp.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I would pick UO.

Though EVE has a lot going for it as well.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I highly Reccomend gw2 for pvp over wow.

Wow pvp is below average
    Gw2 pvp is fairly good.

There are better mmos for pvp though such as planetside 2 and eve.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Seeing as one is a subscription free game and you have both, play whatever you feel like - that's the good thing about GW2. It's down to whichever you want to commit time to, which can change daily. 
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

If your into hardcore gear treadmill then wow.

If you're into small treadmill with good pvp then go gw2. 

Personally i really cant stick to both long because they both bore me after a while but its a good thing for GW2 since i can play a little bit then pick it up later. Wow does not warrant a sub atm IMO.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Look forward to some responses on this one as im still jumping from game to game not really getting stuck into either.

And?  Do you need to be 'stuck in' for some reason? (Don't go there boys)

They don't even compete, except for your time.

We presume that, like most mmo players, you have a great deal of excess leisure time to fill.  So-two choices you'd consider valid for you, bonus!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I've played WoW since late beta.  I currently have one level 90 (silvermoon) and eight level 85's(four on Silvermoon/US four on Argent Dawn/EU). 

I may eventually go back and run another of my US 85's up to 90 (likely rogue).  But right now I'm just burned out.  I played a monk up to level 36, and its just not my class. 

With GW2 I played a warrior up to level 60, before I finally gave up.  Its just not my type of game. There is a really limited number of weapon and armor models, the combat system isn't nearly as flexible as say that of TERA, and I really hate the scaling system. 

But the graphics are good, and for people who like to explore and/or collect achievements, they seem to love it. 

Both games appeal to different people. You might wish to try both and see which one you like best. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ThenThen Member UncommonPosts: 80

Why choose between Wow and GW2, because you can't compare wow and gw2.

But you could compare wow to rift, and you could also compare rift to gw2.

So my simple answer would be, Rift, because it has the instant action you are looking for from Gw2, it has the Gear grind of Wow, and lets just face it, this game "Rift" 's grafix rocks :)

That be my two cents :D

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Corehaven
    If pvp is your thing gw2

PVE is great in GW2.  Its pretty much all Ive done in the month or so since I began playing.  I prefer it greatly to WoW.  There aren't as many dungeons in GW2.  But they are adding them.   For my tastes there's still plenty of dungeons though. 

As far as gear progression, I felt I needed to upgrade my gear around every six levels.  Especially weapons.  Thats something I felt was a must.  Armor I might upgrade about every 6-10 levels and I felt that to be also necessary.  Gear has stats for sure, and they are stats you need.  As far as endgame goes, yea they're adding gear progression to that too.   But the game DOES have gear progression. 

Heck with WoW I seemed to upgrade my weapons and armor about every 6-10 levels.  I find myself needing to do the exact same thing in GW2 so Im not sure why people say its lacking in gear progression.  Whatever. 

AHH - I play on a European server (I am an American) and it is not dead. I don't know where you get your information from. WHen I go to LA, I always end in an overflow server.

As far as gear progression, I have been using what drops - I never felt the need to upgrade every 6-10 levels (it is just you).

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Wraithone

I've played WoW since late beta.  I currently have one level 90 (silvermoon) and eight level 85's(four on Silvermoon/US four on Argent Dawn/EU). 

I may eventually go back and run another of my US 85's up to 90 (likely rogue).  But right now I'm just burned out.  I played a monk up to level 36, and its just not my class. 

With GW2 I played a warrior up to level 60, before I finally gave up.  Its just not my type of game. There is a really limited number of weapon and armor models, the combat system isn't nearly as flexible as say that of TERA, and I really hate the scaling system. 

But the graphics are good, and for people who like to explore and/or collect achievements, they seem to love it. 

Both games appeal to different people. You might wish to try both and see which one you like best. 

My problem with RIft is the engine is CPU-bound. After1.5 years, they still have not optimized the engine. That is pathetic.

• ThenThen Member UncommonPosts: 80
    If you dont have the pc to play rift, you should not be gaming?