Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Fantasy F2P MMO

ThidiasThidias Member Posts: 23

I'm currently looking for a good fantasy based Free to Play MMO. Preferably, one with not much difference in paying for stuff, IE if you dont pay youre gimped. Games with cash shops for cosmetic stuff are fine, but I'm sick and tired of games with large differences in gameplay for payers, IE Pay 2 Win. I am currently playing Planetside 2 and Fallen Earth, so I have plenty of Sci Fi type mmo gameplay. Really, I want to play a Medieval type fantasy game with a good world, as sandboxy as possible, a good community, and good features. EQ 2 is an option, but its a little dated. Aion might work, but i dont really know much about Aion. I played on a free server on a subpar computer and I didn't like it that much, but it might have been that it really didn't operate well on my PC. I liked WoW, i played it for a long time, but really I'm looking for something new, fresh, and hopefully pretty different from WoW. I'd really like something with a good combat system, if its tab targeting based I guess thats fine but if there are any options with an actual skill based engine where you aim your swings and such that would be nice.

Also, I'd like a game that isn't that buggy, that doesn't crash a lot, and that has a helpful community, good devs if possible, etc. I don't know, I'm really just looking for something new to have some fun with until I can afford to get Guild Wars 2 here in a few weeks. Thanks again, I know I've made a thread like this before but I really haven't found anything that exciting. I did find out about Planetside 2 and Fallen Earth, which are both fun games, but not fantasy. Thanks again

Comments

• ThidiasThidias Member Posts: 23
    I actually just read about Vanguard F2P, it sounds relatively cool. Does anyone have any comments about that?
  • nickmister2nickmister2 Member UncommonPosts: 5

Hey there,

Vanguard was alright I did find it to be a tad dated and its got a tab targeting system. I found the variety of classes and races to be really good. I have played a little bit of RaiderZ which is a free to play fantasy MMO with an aim and swing combat system (no targeting). I think you should try both vanguard and RaiderZ out but given what you are looking for I would say RaiderZ would be a good first shot for you.

-Nick

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
      You can forget Aion ,the game is dieing as we speak.   Seriously if you want a great F2P RPG MMO , Runes of Magic is your #1 option. If you play your cards right and study the game properly , you won't even put 40$ on the cash shop.   It's the only F2P that I won't be bashing on , because they got it right. Now I haven't played for about 2 years , since my home is EVE-Online , BUT I did enjoy RoM with my 11 co worker friends for about a year.    Runes of Magic get's my approved "Thumbs up" , which by the way means ALOT.   :)
  • ThidiasThidias Member Posts: 23

Well I just got a new PC with an i5 @ 3.1 ghz w/ boost on and a geforce gt 630m and 6 gigs of ram. Its not a bad little laptop, i can play planetside 2 on medium with perfect frames so a tradional mmo should be no problem as far as my system. Currently, I'm downloading Vanguard and War of the Immortals, both sound pretty good. Vanguard seems to be more PvE and Immortals sounds like its all PvP, so i can try and balance my time out by soloing and grouping in Vanguard for PvE and then trying to get in a guild to PvP in Immortals. 

I still need to re-dl Fallen Earth, right now the only thing i have installed is PS2. I'm trying to limit the number of F2P games I download, cuz on my moms desktop i have like 15+ F2P games installed and most of them suck. It seems that Vanguard is the best F2P option SOE has out at the moment, i could be wrong but EQ2 is even older than Vanguard. 

I might give Runes of Magic a try, but it looks very similar to WoW, like it looks like a clone lol. And RaiderZ is in beta, but i might give that a go. I am going to buy GW2 and possibly Darkfall Unholy Wars soon. I haven't read anything about how DFUW's launch is going, if anyone has played it or has credible things to say about it I'd like to know how it is. I really really want to play a Sandbox MMO, i like single played sandbox type games like the Elder Scrolls games, but I've never played an MMO that was a sandbox for real. I missed Ultima, Asherons Call, and other games like that I was too young, I'm only 22 now. But ya, keep the suggestions coming, so far for F2P i'm playing/gonna try:

-Planetside 2 -Fallen Eath -War of the Immortals -Vanguard

• VernamVernam Member UncommonPosts: 50
    • Fantasy
    • Sandboxy
    • Free
    • Good Combat System
    • No Tab Targeting
    • Doesn't Feel Dated
    • Isn't Buggy
    • Helpful Community
    • Good Devs
    I'm sorry, but what you're looking for just doesn't exist. It sounds like you're describing the dream game for a lot of MMORPGers here. I don't really know what to suggest to you. Aion's free to play model is great... but Vanguard has the sandbox elements.

Aion:
    • Fantasy
    • Free
    • Good Devs
    Vanguard:
    • Fantasy
    • Sandboxy
    • Free (but terrible restrictions)
    The only thing I could suggest is just giving up on what you are looking for and play something else until something like Archeage comes out (which could be years).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Although it has soem restrictions and with them force you to play content wel lbeyond it's intended level EQ2 is the best f2p offer out there.There really is NOTHING close to it.

ROM would be great if not so cash shop dependent.

Aion/Swtor/Lotro i lump them all together,they just lack that overall quality i look for in a game.Unlike Rom that has a few niche ideas,those other games are pretty much enter and start following the quests.

I really would look no further than EQ2,it was never intended to be f2p,it has the cotnent of a full out MMORPG and is on par with any game on the market.The only thing i hate is SOE,they are a really greedy operation.I would say yo uare better off playing for free than paying,becuase even a full subscription ,yo uneed to pay more to get the full quality of the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by nickmister2

Hey there,

Vanguard was alright I did find it to be a tad dated and its got a tab targeting system. I found the variety of classes and races to be really good. I have played a little bit of RaiderZ which is a free to play fantasy MMO with an aim and swing combat system (no targeting). I think you should try both vanguard and RaiderZ out but given what you are looking for I would say RaiderZ would be a good first shot for you.

-Nick

VG dated ?lol 

Yes in comparison to FFXIV graphic wise but the rest is sheer quality,a game meant to overthrow EQ2 as the best  mmorpg game on the market.

I still see games people think are top notch or THE BEST and they don't even come close to VG,sad really.

Even when looking at JUST the pretty/visual you need to understand about how many objects are in view,viewing distance,lighting ect ecvt,there is more than just a hi res texture.Even when talking hi res texctures,the quality of those textures makes a huge difference.Example in Wow some of those textures if even HD would look awful because they do not look realistic.

There is nothing wrong with tab targetting because in mmorpg's you have too many buttons/commands to take care of,you want to be looking more at the action than the keyboard.In First person shooters targetting works because you usually only have 1-3 favorite weapons,sometimes maybe using 4/5/6 but never needing 4/5/6 hotbars full of command icons.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Lotro by default ?
  • junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    LotRO has one of the best Freemium models out there. (besides DDO)  With a bit of grind, you don't have to spend much at all in the market.  EQ2 I found had some pretty harsh restrictions that you HAD to pay to unlock.  You've got quite a few suggestions, good luck.