Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom Quarter 3 2012 report

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I think these two things need to happen:

1. Make all MMO's B2P like GW2.

2. Make MMO's cross platform to get bigger numbers. Do it like FFXI...not like DCUO where it seperates players.

The mmo industry is stagnant due to flooding the market with the same old games with different skins. I think companies like Funcom, Turbine, Aeria, PWI, and SOE shoot themselves in the foot because they make too many games to manage. Why not make one good game and pool your resources to make it awesome.

/2cents

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by gamesrfun
    Originally posted by DSWBeef I cannot agree with the 50k sub mark. It has to be atleast 200k.
    Trolling or serious?

If trolling, heh.

If serious, they released the revenue billing of their own volition.

So it is accurate.  I said 55k-70k:  the extra 15k was to account for lifetime subscriptions and a few other micro variables.

Yeah, something like 50k is about right. Even if they have a really good retention rate they are looking at 100k players at most, and given their income this doesn't seem likely.

If they are bought by EA, the game will probably go F2P, but will have really poor choices made on the restrictions. Like SWToR, the game won't be impossible to play, but it will probably be frustrating and not worth the effort.

If they are bought by Activision...I have no idea what will happen. Maybe the crafting system in the game will become a primary focus and people will be able to sell stuff to each other through a RMAH and maybe the game will be Buy to Play.

Maybe someone will go with my favorite idea and sell personal servers, but I'd really doubt it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by zyklonian
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by JKwervo
    This is too funny. LOL. Failcom failing hard. Yes, I'm a hater especially when you have the audacity to have a sub AND cash shop. Not to mention the animations are piss poor still. Arrogance on their part bit them in the butt.

If you think the sub + shop was arrogance...well dont quit your day job, you arent very good at analysis.

They need revenue.  WoW double dips because it can.  Most other games double dip out of neccessity.

where does wow double dip?  the cell phone apps are free with sub now and theres not a ptw button on my UI

http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:5

i think double dipping is paying a sub and having a shiny in your face pay to win button on your UI not some store with a silly mount or  a pet.  they actually have tangible goods that you can order too.  i dont see any TSW beach towels and T-shirts......

There's no pay to win in the TSW shop either.  All cosmetics and zero prompting to buy in-game.  I just love the double standard when it comes to WoW.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    This is too funny. LOL. Failcom failing hard. Yes, I'm a hater especially when you have the audacity to have a sub AND cash shop. Not to mention the animations are piss poor still. Arrogance on their part bit them in the butt.

If you think the sub + shop was arrogance...well dont quit your day job, you arent very good at analysis.

They need revenue.  WoW double dips because it can.  Most other games double dip out of neccessity.

where does wow double dip?  the cell phone apps are free with sub now and theres not a ptw button on my UI

i think double dipping is paying a sub and having a shiny in your face pay to win button on your UI not some store with a silly mount or  a pet.  they actually have tangible goods that you can order too.  i dont see any TSW beach towels and T-shirts......

There's no pay to win in the TSW shop either.  All cosmetics and zero prompting to buy in-game.  I just love the double standard when it comes to WoW.

So, when you buy something from TSW store, is it bound to your account, meaning every single char you use or ever create benefits from it? No? Also how many times has FC actually donated all their profits to an actual benefit (sales of an actual promoted item)? Such as Blizz benefit for Hurricane Sandy victims? Not even a single time.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Rawiz

So, when you buy something from TSW store, is it bound to your account, meaning every single char you use or ever create benefits from it? No? Also how many times has FC actually donated all their profits to an actual benefit (sales of an actual promoted item)? Such as Blizz benefit for Hurricane Sandy victims? Not even a single time.

This is just FC bashing. We all know that their financial situation is far from good so maybe they just cannot afford donating. Also, I just expect to get a good service from them which they provide with actual GMs who are nice and helpful persons. Concerning CS I think it's absolutely optiona. One day I found 1200 points on my account as a bonus. Bought a dog, a title I have never used, a shirt maybe and some Chinese fireworks because I had some points left. In-game cloths are better imo and not a single feature is in CS.

Originally posted by Piiritus

This is just FC bashing. We all know that their financial situation is far from good so maybe they just cannot afford donating. Also, I just expect to get a good service from them which they provide with actual GMs who are nice and helpful persons. Concerning CS I think it's absolutely optiona. One day I found 1200 points on my account as a bonus. Bought a dog, a title I have never used, a shirt maybe and some Chinese fireworks because I had some points left. In-game cloths are better imo and not a single feature is in CS.

Oh I see, it's just "FC bashing" when you actually make a point. Tell me, are the items you buy from their cash shop account or character bound? This is not bashing, this is an actual fact.

Now perhaps you see I was actually replying to a guy trying to compare WoW cash shop to TSW. WoW items are account bound, they also spend millions in different donation programs. Yet they're hated.

What do you think FC is when they sell SINGLE-CHARACTER items in their cash shop, do no charity, offer no donations and still expect highest sub of them all?

If Blizz sucks and has no spine, then I can't even describe what FC is.

• tinywulftinywulf Member Posts: 106

Oh I see, it's just "FC bashing" when you actually make a point. Tell me, are the items you buy from their cash shop account or character bound? This is not bashing, this is an actual fact.

Now perhaps you see I was actually replying to a guy trying to compare WoW cash shop to TSW. WoW items are account bound, they also spend millions in different donation programs. Yet they're hated.

What do you think FC is when they sell SINGLE-CHARACTER items in their cash shop, do no charity, offer no donations and still expect highest sub of them all?

Blizzard fan boy cyber bully.

Originally posted by tinywulf

Rule 1. When no argument is to be made, try to divert conversation.

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126

That's all you got? Lol
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Rule 1. When no argument is to be made, try to divert conversation.

Compared to WoW, in TSW, there is no reason to replay more characters or change servers. It's single server technology divided into several dimensions and your character can learn all skills, since there are no limitations or the amount of skills or experience you have. The skill-wheel allows you to change "roles" anytime you want.

REALITY CHECK

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    Yet its barely surviving.....if that lol
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

They are not saints also.  You realize that Blizzard take 50% cut of what you spend on donation items?   Considering volume of sale and mount creation cost production cost are close to zero, so blizzard is using charity pet as huge revenue source.  Branding pet / mount as charity will bring great sales of this paritcular item and thus increase their sale.   

You would imagine that they would donate 100% or at least something like 95% of item revenue right?

So if you want to help it is much better to just wire some money to fundations, churches or other help organizations or maybe an needing facitility near place where you live.  That way you know that all money minus administraitve cost are used for charity and not just 50% of proft blizzard make after administrative and distributive cost.

I am not defending Funcom, as I don't care and I don't play TSW or other FC games.  

Just want to make a point that Blizzard is earning money directly on your charity.  It is keeping 50% of your donation for their shareholders.

Originally posted by Thillian
    SNIP

Compared to WoW, in TSW, there is no reason to replay more characters or change servers. It's single server technology divided into several dimensions and your character can learn all skills, since there are no limitations or the amount of skills or experience you have. The skill-wheel allows you to change "roles" anytime you want.

Meaning, you have to buy that same item several times (not account locked item), if you actually use other characters/sides, than your main.

Originally posted by fenistil

They are not saints also.  You realize that Blizzard take 50% cut of what you spend on donation items?   Considering volume of sale and mount creation cost production cost are close to zero, so blizzard is using charity pet as huge revenue source.  Branding pet / mount as charity will bring great sales of this paritcular item and thus increase their sale.   

You would imagine that they would donate 100% or at least something like 95% of item revenue right?

So if you want to help it is much better to just wire some money to fundations, churches or other help organizations or maybe an needing facitility near place where you live.  That way you know that all money minus administraitve cost are used for charity and not just 50% of proft blizzard make after administrative and distributive cost.

I am not defending Funcom, as I don't care and I don't play TSW or other FC games.  

Just want to make a point that Blizzard is earning money directly on your charity.  It is keeping 50% of your donation for their shareholders.

Okay, just going to pass your first chapter there by saying, Blizz offered ALL PROFITS gained from buying their pet for Sandy victims. All you need to read is the first chapter, it was also a news topic in this very site.

http://wow.gameguyz.com/news/blizzard-donate-cinder-kitten-profits-superstorm-sandy-victims.html

Blizz obviously gave all their profits for that particular pet to people who need it. When did FC make such a charity drive? I might as well add, that this isn't  even close the first time Blizz does this.

Okay, just going to pass your first chapter there by saying, Blizz offered ALL PROFITS gained from buying their pet for Sandy victims. All you need to read is the first chapter, it was also a news topic in this very site.

http://wow.gameguyz.com/news/blizzard-donate-cinder-kitten-profits-superstorm-sandy-victims.html

Blizz obviously gave all their profits for that particular pet to people who need it. When did FC make such a charity drive? I might as well add, that this isn't  even close the first time Blizz does this.

Pandaren Monk and some other was 50%.   Seem they changed that to 100% which is good, but it raise question if they did only after shitstorm 50% charity pets created.
    Besides this is time offer only. After relatively certain peroid, this pet stop being charity but STILL is going to be sold without charity till end of WoW existence.

If they would take down pet from store after charity gathering ends then I would give them that.

STILL  this is consumers / donators money not Blizzard money.  Blizzard do not give moeny themself.  Real charity would be if Blizzard or any company would donate their own money instead just gathering and passing other people money.

FC - like I said I don't care about FC,they propaly never did charity pet or something similar, I don't know.

Oh, so NOW it's okay to have a cash shop and sub when you make it account bound and give to charity?  Any other qualities it can have that make it okay?  Other than it's WoW?  We'll just ask Funcom to do charity and make the items account bound, and the subs will just start flowing in.  Right?

Hypocrites.

Oh, so NOW it's okay to have a cash shop and sub when you make it account bound and give to charity?  Any other qualities it can have that make it okay?  Other than it's WoW?  We'll just ask Funcom to do charity and make the items account bound, and the subs will just start flowing in.  Right?

Hypocrites.

Sure it is not okay. 

I prefer to not have cash shop and support charity financially or otherwise of my choosing in real-life.

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96
    i wonder how low the subs will dip by christmas.

Hypocrites.

Sure it is not okay. 

I prefer to not have cash shop and support charity financially or otherwise of my choosing in real-life.

That's fine -- lots of excuses being made up above about how WoW's shop is okay, but TSW's is not.  I find the utter vindicitiveness to a Funcom shop and not a WoW shop to be completely hypocritical, however.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112

So, the long-awaited Q3 report has been released.  I have read it, both the report itself and the presentation and here's what I take away from it:

CASHFLOW POSITIVE

It's all over the report.  TSW is making money for Funcom.  Indeed, all three MMOs listed in the report (TSW, AoC and AO) are making money for Funcom - Q3's numbers appear to be better than Q2's numbers, and certainly they are much better than Q3 2011.

I am content.

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96
    and they'll be negative in 2013, right in the report. not to mention they'll have only 10k subs by february. very content indeed.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Gotta love the FC hate in this forum.  I think they'll be fine.  Always have been and have always made niche MMORPG's that don't appeal to average "pop" MMORPG players.

As for Charity...they can do what they want with their money.  So can Blizzard...just cuz they donate to charity doesn't make them saints...it's most likely posturing so that they can get more subs from the chronically altruistic.

I support companies cuz they are good at what they do, not cuz they donate to charity.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by Randayn

Gotta love the FC hate in this forum.  I think they'll be fine.  Always have been and have always made niche MMORPG's that don't appeal to average "pop" MMORPG players.

As for Charity...they can do what they want with their money.  So can Blizzard...just cuz they donate to charity doesn't make them saints...it's most likely posturing so that they can get more subs from the chronically altruistic.

I support companies cuz they are good at what they do, not cuz they donate to charity.

I'm trying to see a connection between Funcom's 3rd quarter report and Blizzard's charity work...

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by GR3NDEL

So, the long-awaited Q3 report has been released.  I have read it, both the report itself and the presentation and here's what I take away from it:

CASHFLOW POSITIVE

It's all over the report.  TSW is making money for Funcom.  Indeed, all three MMOs listed in the report (TSW, AoC and AO) are making money for Funcom - Q3's numbers appear to be better than Q2's numbers, and certainly they are much better than Q3 2011.

I am content.

Im not sure you read that correctly. They reported a cash flow positive compared to the same quarter last year, which is obvious when you take into account they released a new game this quarter. According to this the cash flow positive is not happening anytime soon:

"..the goal of bringing the Company cash flow positive may not be achieved during 2013."

"The Company expects revenues for 4Q 2012 to be lower than in 3Q 2012 due to lower sales of The Secret World."

They also said:

"As part of the process of optimizing the revenue for the game, the Company is currently working on updating and refining the business model."

"A refined and updated business model has been under Private and Confidential - Intended solely for use by recipient 13 development in 3Q"

Which means, like it or not they are changing the business model. Probably F2P, B2P or maybe something we haven't seen before.

And:

"The development of The Secret World is now almost fully handled by the studio in Montreal"

As far as I know the initial/core development was not in Montreal, seems like they are moving on...

At least they acknknowledge they released in a bad timeframe:

"Guild Wars 2 and Mists of Pandaria, the latest expansion pack to World of Warcraft, have dominated the market for the last months, thus impacting sales of The Secret World. World of Warcraft is continuing to hold a strong position in the market in spite of the increased competition"

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Kuppa

"..the goal of bringing the Company cash flow positive may not be achieved during 2013."

Although TSW is making money, the report showed debt.  It does not look like they will be able to pay that debt by the end of 2013. 

There's no question that sales have been a bismal and the whole thing has been disappointing, but money is being made, millions. The need for the company to get out of debt will push them to make moves to increase revenue. 

The question is, do they think that f2p will help them increase revenue and help get the company out of debt. Pretty iffy at this point if you ask me.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"