Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You Win. The Ads Are Now Intrusive.

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

My Firefox browser, when I visit your site, now enjoys randomly opening up new tabs as I click on areas of your site to view contents. I do NOT need to be force fed advertising. For me, this crosses the line of acceptable.

You win. I'll be visiting a lot less now.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Can you provide a bit more detail on what you're experiencing and where?
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

How about less Ads, and you let the community donate for wacky titles or some such?

OR  Come up with some nifty idea to let us choose which games are advertised. I.E Endorsed by the Mmorpg community? You might be able to charge extra for a community endorsed AD.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    That doesn't happen to me.. There is a virus though that inbeds in your web browser and does exactly what you are describing.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Mike, of course now I want it to duplicate the circumstances, it doesn't :) What happened was about 4-5 times while perusing, I opened a new link to a forum discussion thread and 2 tabs opened up. I have my Firefox set to NOT allow redirecting so the new extra tabs were blank. I finally allowed one to redirect and I was brought to a game site, though I do not recall the name of the game. It had a message that in 30 seconds the ad would close and I would continue on to wherever it was I was being directed. I closed the tab before this happened.

My first thought was a virus. But this site is the only one that this has happened to me. It could still be a virus, but it's rather selective :)

I will keep trying to duplicate this phenomenon and give better details. I really hope I am mistaken here, as I do like this site :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Mike, of course now I want it to duplicate the circumstances, it doesn't :) What happened was about 4-5 times while perusing, I opened a new link to a forum discussion thread and 2 tabs opened up. I have my Firefox set to NOT allow redirecting so the new extra tabs were blank. I finally allowed one to redirect and I was brought to a game site, though I do not recall the name of the game. It had a message that in 30 seconds the ad would close and I would continue on to wherever it was I was being directed. I closed the tab before this happened.

My first thought was a virus. But this site is the only one that this has happened to me. It could still be a virus, but it's rather selective :)

I will keep trying to duplicate this phenomenon and give better details. I really hope I am mistaken here, as I do like this site :)

The behavior of ads you're describing goes against our advertising policy. If one of our ads is behaving in this manner, I can assure you we'd be quite interested in looking into it.

If this occurs again, please try taking a screencap and getting in touch with us with any other information you may be able to glean so that we can look into this matter further.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Thank you, Mike. I have been unable to reproduce this. I have Spybot and it did clear a few things out for me. I will chalk this up to virus, but will let you know if anything like this happens again :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    BTW if you are using Firefox. Get yourself a favor and instal Adblock plus plugin. Didnt see a add for long time now ;)

• TheOtterTheOtter Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I appreciate the service this site offers, so I've disabled my adblocker. I haven't had any issues like the OP described and almost all ads have been reasonably located. As long as popups, flashy ads and those with sound never become common I'm fine with keeping my blocker off.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Firefox 15 on Win 7.  I've seen nothing unusual as far as advertisement placement.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.