Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift - sssshhhhh!

JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Rift had it's major expansion only a few days ago, yet there is vitrually nothing heard about it now. Why does this game seem to be:

Pretty good, well supported by Trion - But simply not bringing in the attention and player numbers

Is it simply down to having nothing really stand out unique about the game? Trion must be wondering what they have to do to get big numbers playing.

But I'm one of those who played for quite a while, all through Ember Isle, then sort of drifted away as there was no real hook to it.

Comments

• DouganDouganDouganDougan Member Posts: 15

Rift is a good game, but for me, is old generation graphics..

games comming are so good graphically that someone could be good too at gameplay and pwn so many games.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    the thing about Rift is , this expansion brings awesome housing and thats exactly about it . Its all more of the same with a new level cap , same reason you do not hear much after MOP released for wow. Infact for the pvp crowd in rift they once again got shafted for more grinding carnage quests and some ember isle style questing. People who play Rift now enjoy it for what it is , and most people that hated it after release , do not see any point coming back to it as its just more of the same. Trion isnt going to pull a lot of new players into a niche game when they lost tons of players over the months , even pushing out tons of content faster than most companies. I do not hate Rift myself but the direction its heading does not interest me and i cancelled my own sub and didnt buy the expansion when I seen how heavy handed the devs have become with nerfs.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    my interpretation of this game is that the game can be a bit tedious at times ,but its kind of strange in that if your in a group just doin normal content and stuff..not  dungeons its great.atm its taking me ages to do simple quests,ie my weapons are shite etc .just started on xpac area but i,m sure it will pick up.got my ass handed to me a few times by invasions.problem with the game as well is that its got too much in common with that other game if you take the rifts out of the equasion
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Just because people arn't talking about it doesn't mean the player numbers havn't increased. There isn't an over glorified hype surrounding the expansion but the server populations have more than doubled at the moment, maybe a LOT more. How long that will last though is anyones guess.

I'm queuing to get on my server right now.

Personally, I think it's a quality expansion and I'm having a lot of fun with it. In fact, Rift is now number 2 in my favourite MMOs ever. AC being number 1 because it was my first. I played Rift at launch, wasn't hooked. I played it in spring this year for a bit, and wasn't hooked again. I started again just before this expansion came and now I am completely hooked. I will be playing this game to it's fullest.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182

I think many old players returned and play the game after a long break, many many of them even start at level one again as the game went through so many changes since release that it can be a bit overwhelming to take it in all at once.

I myself started to play it again after I left the game few months after release and am having great fun. Why I don't talk about it much? I rather play post on forums, this is rather an exception in the case of rift.

Originally posted by kevjards
     its got too much in common with that other game if you take the rifts out of the equasion

But the Rifts are in the equation, so what's your point? All that statement means is that Rift doesn't have much in common with other games because rifts are in the equation.

I know what you mean.. but that's like selective judgement.. ignoring a feature and then judgeing based on it being without it. Which is pointless.. because it is never without it, unless you choose to ignore the rifts while you are playing... which would also be selective. By that logic, all other games should be judged as worse because they don't have rifts.  They have a lot in common with rift, but rift has this feature that they have nothing in common with, meaning rift offers more.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Rift had it's major expansion only a few days ago, yet there is vitrually nothing heard about it now. Why does this game seem to be:

Pretty good, well supported by Trion - But simply not bringing in the attention and player numbers

Is it simply down to having nothing really stand out unique about the game? Trion must be wondering what they have to do to get big numbers playing.

Ditch all content from 1 to 49 so it doesn't look like Warhammer.

I am tempted to buy Rift, but then I remembered my awful experience in Beta where I was wondering if I was playing WAR.

I was bored to tears. I simply hate quest hubs and mobs overcrowding.

But I heard Raids are good, that's why I am tempted, but I am not ready to go through the boring leveling to play Raids.

carrying on from my previous post..one thing i have noticed is that the population on my server has gone through the roof..i have to queue to get on..which i dont mind at all..its nice to see so many playing again..its what the game deserves.but i do think this game should go f2p..reason is that this game and trion and the way they dish out polished content would be great for  playing numbers.

this game paid for itself just after release i think seen has they already have a shop they could charge a little for content and rake it in unlike greedy EA who charge you for action bars.but the choice is trions.

one thing i will say is that i am a great lover of vanguard and it took them 5 yrs to  go f2p..imo they  waited way too long.if they want to keep the numbers up they will have to do something other than having it sub based..but thats just my opinion..trion are a great bunch of peeps who look after and listen to their community and deserve success.

would'nt suprise me if at some point they make it f2p up to lvl 50 in europe and the states.

Originally posted by Vannor
     its got too much in common with that other game if you take the rifts out of the equasion

But the Rifts are in the equation, so what's your point? All that statement means is that Rift doesn't have much in common with other games because rifts are in the equation.

I know what you mean.. but that's like selective judgement.. ignoring a feature and then judgeing based on it being without it. Which is pointless.. because it is never without it, unless you choose to ignore the rifts while you are playing... which would also be selective. By that logic, all other games should be judged as worse because they don't have rifts.  They have a lot in common with rift, but rift has this area that they have nothing in common with, meaning rift offers more.

thats not being selective..well it is actually..bu thats the point..human beings are selective.thats why most people play WOW..its because at the time they got it right..there are some aspects of rift which copy that.why would one person leave WOW just for some of the same stuff in rift.and i,m not saying that WOW is the be all and end all of everything..its just they do so much with their chars in that game they are reluctant to change or if they do they go back if it ends up being similar.

I know what you mean.. but that's like selective judgement.. ignoring a feature and then judgeing based on it being without it. Which is pointless.. because it is never without it, unless you choose to ignore the rifts while you are playing... which would also be selective. By that logic, all other games should be judged as worse because they don't have rifts.  They have a lot in common with rift, but rift has this area that they have nothing in common with, meaning rift offers more.

thats not being selective..well it is actually..bu thats the point..human beings are selective.thats why most people play WOW..its because at the time they got it right..there are some aspects of rift which copy that.why would one person leave WOW just for some of the same stuff in rift.and i,m not saying that WOW is the be all and end all of everything..its just they do so much with their chars in that game they are reluctant to change or if they do they go back if it ends up being similar.

Like i said, I know what you mean. The core game is common with most other MMOs. But looking only at that isn't the only way it should be judged, even if that is what is currently happening.. it's still an unfair way of doing it.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Rift is sort of stuck in the best friends role. It's got great intentions and is always there for you, but it won't get any.

Like i said, I know what you mean. The core game is common with most other MMOs. But looking only at that isn't the only way it should be judged, even if that is what is currently happening.. it's still an unfair way of doing it.

i totally agree..but has humans how many times do you log into one of your favourite online games to find the whole fuckin chat dedicted to saying 'oh  this is no WOW'.that does my head in.everyone compares a new game to something else they have played.or how much fun they had doing a dungeon..it really does my head in at times.

prime example..logged in to swtor today only to find the usual trolls going on about this is nothing compared to WOW.i wish i had this emote /shootmybrainsout

• ReallymjReallymj Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I sure hope Rift doesn't ever go free to play. I enjoy paying my $15 a month to guarantee a continous stream of content. The devs put every penny to good use. Instead of wasting the money on massive amounts of advertisement, they are putting it back into the game.

~Im not what I am~

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

The problem is truthfully the WoW crowd going around saying that they didn’t add anything to the game outside of dimensions.  Really?  I am only level 55 and I see a ton of stuff they added to the game

Hunting Rifts and Great Hunting Rifts, these make people be in the world outside of just Dailies which is what WoW has only added to their game.  Look another major patch came out on Tuesday what did they add?  More Dailies.  What are Hunting Rifts?  Hunting rifts are rifts that have a theme to them that will give you dungeon level loot so you don’t have to just dungeon grind for loot.  Great Hunting Rifts you can get Dungeon and Raid Loot.  This gives people another way of getting gear than just instances or raiding.  It also gets people out in the world.  What was Blizzards solution to getting more people into the world?  Dailies; really does blizzard no longer have imagination? 

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by danwest58

The problem is truthfully the WoW crowd going around saying that they didn’t add anything to the game outside of dimensions.  Really?  I am only level 55 and I see a ton of stuff they added to the game

Hunting Rifts and Great Hunting Rifts, these make people be in the world outside of just Dailies which is what WoW has only added to their game.  Look another major patch came out on Tuesday what did they add?  More Dailies.  What are Hunting Rifts?  Hunting rifts are rifts that have a theme to them that will give you dungeon level loot so you don’t have to just dungeon grind for loot.  Great Hunting Rifts you can get Dungeon and Raid Loot.  This gives people another way of getting gear than just instances or raiding.  It also gets people out in the world.  What was Blizzards solution to getting more people into the world?  Dailies; really does blizzard no longer have imagination? 

You realize you are doing 100% what you are accusing others of doing, right?  You are ignorantly bashing WoW, just as you are mad that others have done to Rift.  

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

You realize you are doing 100% what you are accusing others of doing, right?  You are ignorantly bashing WoW, just as you are mad that others have done to Rift.  

How is pointing out the truth bashing?  Did WoW do anything new?  No they just added a boat load of dailies.  The others are just making false statements, as I point out with the Hunting Rifts and Great Hunting Rifts.  That’s not bashing that is making straight up factual statements.  Bashing someone would be coming out and calling them a complete idiot or something of that nature.  I am just stating facts that his argument lacks discrediting his argument. 

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

How is pointing out the truth bashing?  Did WoW do anything new?  No they just added a boat load of dailies.  The others are just making false statements, as I point out with the Hunting Rifts and Great Hunting Rifts.  That’s not bashing that is making straight up factual statements.  Bashing someone would be coming out and calling them a complete idiot or something of that nature.  I am just stating facts that his argument lacks discrediting his argument. 

Um, how about the pet battle system?  scenarios?  fight club?  the return (hopefully) of open world PvP?

Again, you are accusing others of making false statements (which they are) while you yourself are making blatantly false statements.

• WarcannibalWarcannibal Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

But I'm one of those who played for quite a while, all through Ember Isle, then sort of drifted away as there was no real hook to it.

I'm with you.

Rift is =/+ WoW.  Its is "prettier" than WoW but has the same basic theme park (Quests from Easy to Hard, Solo to Raid) it has Achievements, it has pets/neato things, it has a large defined world etc etc etc....

Yet is the same cesspool of angry players.  A bad community.

I find the game better than WoW in my own opinion except for one major thing; The worst community in MMO gaming history.

Another new example from my own personal catalog: Today I logged in and asked in general chat "MY 12 year old son is playing on my wifes account - can someone please let me know where a good place to start for Dimintions".

I typoed Dimensions.

I never did get any help, but I was called an "unliterate faggot" (yes.. UNliterate), I was told to go back to "my country" (I am a 40 year old American), It was mentioned that I was "fat and lived with my mommy" (my mom has been dead for 12+ years and I was in the Marine Corps for 17+ years).  I never did get any help, I just had to Google it (my fault, I should have assumed asking in game was a bad idea).

This was all for a typo of the Beloved Dimensions.

Rift - that game to play if there were not so many angry pre-pubs there....  Its a shame.

"GW2 is the Methadone to WoWs Heroin."

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Err... actually, what it means is Rift has a lot in common with other MMOs despite Rifts being in the equation.

Crazy how you spun that. The kind of mental gymnastics required to translate Rift being a very standard, WoW-template MMO with one twist - Rifts - added into the mix to mean "not having much in common with other games" is mind-boggling.

I enjoyed Rift's very polished gameplay and the setting, and the Rift invasions are a nice diversion to break up the monotony of questing (and boy does it get monotonous in that game). But when you get down to it, it's basically a repeat of most MMOs to come out in the last 8 years, but with one new feature on top of it. And really, Rifts aren't really even that new. They're a spin on Public Events, which had been done before Rift. They just weren't the namesake of their respective games).