Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: Approaching the $4M Mark

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Star Citizen team has announced that it is quickly approaching the $4M mark in its bid to crowd fund the game. Beginning today, the official site will be releasing new information about items and updated information about Star Citizen as the final forty-eight hours for fully funding the game wind down. 

Then the fun really begins at 1 PM Central time on Sunday, November 18, just 24 hours from the final crowd funding bell. Chris Roberts and the team will begin a 24 hour live webcast. Visit the www.robertsspaceindustries.com site to find out how to join the live stream. The entire team will be there throughout the final 24 to visit with you, take your questions (via live chat) and provide some exciting announcements. And since we'll be coming live to you from Austin, Texas where part of the development team will be stationed, you might even see some familiar faces from the early Wing Commander and Freelancer days, waxing nostalgic and providing some old war stories from Origin and Digital Anvil.

Find out more at the link above!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    4,154,162 $  as i type this. Predictions estimate that it will reach a number between 4,500,000 and 4,700,00. If i am not mistaken SC right now is the most successful crowd funding project ever. Mr. Roberts investors will be pleased to see these numbers.
  • MyopicMooseMyopicMoose Member UncommonPosts: 14
    What also is notable is how the community that has supported the game is embracing the excitement surrounding the fundraising successes.  I have been gaming for many years and have seen communities both good and bad in many mmo's, but i can honestly say i've never seen the level of camaraderie, excitement and mutual support shown by people in chat at the RSI site or on the forums there.  This kind of positive and mature social interaction by the game's supporters certainly bodes very well indeed for when the game releases in the future.
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Why so much support for this project? What makes it different then any other we have seen the last few weeks? I keep hearing this is going to be a twitch aiming mmo / fps is that true? 
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    Why so much support for this project? What makes it different then any other we have seen the last few weeks? I keep hearing this is going to be a twitch aiming mmo / fps is that true? 

Wing Commander:  Look it up

Chris Roberts: Look him up

For PC only: Basically no freaking console limitations.

• sabboksabbok Member Posts: 12
    I think there is so much support mainly because its a loved genre, but all the devs can't be bothered to try and put a new spin on it until this. The team is very experienced, well respected, and well known. People also have an ingrained sense of belonging and can now be part of the dream which is exciting. Lastly by crowd funding you are embracing you community and player base with everyone having something to gain or lose. Most games lately don't do this at all and in fact most seem to crap on the player base and virtually ignore them. There are exceptions, but it seems few and far between.

http://mmofriendslist.com
    100% free

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Ah...i buckled and invested too. Sounds like he might really pull this one trough

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Totes can't wait for Alpha and Beta.  Already have a new machine coming that will shred on this game.  Get your investments in now.  Alpha and Beta access for most of the options on there.
  • morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by sabbok
    I think there is so much support mainly because its a loved genre, but all the devs can't be bothered to try and put a new spin on it until this. The team is very experienced, well respected, and well known. People also have an ingrained sense of belonging and can now be part of the dream which is exciting. Lastly by crowd funding you are embracing you community and player base with everyone having something to gain or lose. Most games lately don't do this at all and in fact most seem to crap on the player base and virtually ignore them. There are exceptions, but it seems few and far between.

Exactly this^

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    4,154,162 $  as i type this. Predictions estimate that it will reach a number between 4,500,000 and 4,700,00. If i am not mistaken SC right now is the most successful crowd funding project ever. Mr. Roberts investors will be pleased to see these numbers.

I was convinced he wouldn't reach 4mil, and am so very relieved.

Every space sim I've tried in the last decade made me yearn for Wing6, Freelander2, Privateer3, or anything by Roberts to be made, and now we get all in one, and more. I never have to try and convince myself I enjoy EVE again.

• dirtyhippy1dirtyhippy1 Member Posts: 45

Mechwarrior Online raised over 5 million in their crowd funding program.   successful?  yes...the most successful?  close but not quite.

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4

Wing Commander:  Look it up

Chris Roberts: Look him up

For PC only: Basically no freaking console limitations.

And Freelancer/Privateer. While it won't be Freelancer Online, it's close enough to make me a realllllyyyy happy lady!!!

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    If this game turns out to be what is promised... I will be one of the happiest people in the world. I mean this simply looks epic! I can't wait for this, even if I probably will have to wait until like 2014 or 2015 for it to even come out.

Smile

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Finally checked the video to see what's this Star Citizen fuss about, and damn that looks and sounds good. I hope they will pull this off properly. Realtime action space sim with mmo features and also character based features instead of being just a ship, I really do hope this turns out good, the core features at least are exactly what I want to see in a game.
  • RocSekRocSek Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by dirtyhippy1

Mechwarrior Online raised over 5 million in their crowd funding program.   successful?  yes...the most successful?  close but not quite.

With Mech warrior online, It took them about 3 months July - October to get to that point. Star Citizen is at 4.5m in about 30 days. Not to mention it has about 2 more years of dev time and they havent announced any other type "Founders" programs like MWO did. So yes, this is the most  crowd funded game and will break well above the 5mil MWO did by the time it launches. 

All I heard was... "Well aren't you just a little lolly pop triple dipped in psycho."

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276

Why can't this game be out now :[  

Never been more pumped and disappointed to wait ever lol

Also if I donate 10k of my cash can I please have a job with this company :]

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    Also if I donate 10k of my cash do I get a job with the company please :]
  • DouganDouganDouganDougan Member Posts: 15
    incredible how much money can be earned by donations o.o
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by RocSek
    Originally posted by dirtyhippy1

With Mech warrior online, It took them about 3 months July - October to get to that point. Star Citizen is at 4.5m in about 30 days. Not to mention it has about 2 more years of dev time and they havent announced any other type "Founders" programs like MWO did. So yes, this is the most  crowd funded game and will break well above the 5mil MWO did by the time it launches. 

I have no doubt it WILL be the host with the most but for this campaign it is unlikley it will the best and that was what was meant by bringing up MW:O... But as you say give it some time and i am sure it will be the most crowd-founded game in history.

And with that i feel sorry for the devs... Because the playebase for this game will be soo bloody entiteld they will demand steak dinner each time they log in coocked by the devs them self. 

This have been a good conversation

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    As of now Star Citizen has earned $5,031,828. Wow, I'm really impressed, I feel like good things are in store for this game.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Xondar123
    As of now Star Citizen has earned $5,031,828. Wow, I'm really impressed, I feel like good things are in store for this game.

considering that SWTOR had ~$300.000.000.. and all we got was a railshooter!

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    5 Million plus, only bad thing about this game is it wont be out for years!

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I bought the 40 bucks package. Can't wait for Alpha :-P

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    A total of  $5,732,718 raised.  We now get playable destroyers and carriers!!!!!!  I sure hope the Constellation ship looks cool.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I invested, and I one cynical SOB at the best of times, really glad this is taking off, we have all been crying out for something like this for years, but with all good ideas being either watered down for console or gobbled up by the likes of EA, and then rehashed by commitee, crowd funding was the only way to break the deadlock.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Past 5.8 mil now. Amazing. Hope this turns out to be the game I've been waiting for. I already have a nice HOTAS joystick with rudder pedals and a TrackIR5 unit which I use for my flightsims. Went for the $110 Lancer (digital) package. That's a lot of money to blow on something I won't see for years and with no guarantee of it being any good. It just shows how much I want a game like SC and perhaps the media buzz will help jumpstart the genre (crossing fingers that Elite: Dangerous makes it as well). I'll recover the $110 by skipping a $60 title or two and staying away from EVE now that the real EVE I've always wanted is going to be developed.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.