Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game worth trying

I play wOw and am getting really bored I have a 60 rogue but pvp is just boring on that game and was thinking of giving this game a whirl. A few questions i had where, how long does it take to get a character to a high lvl, and are there any rewards for pvp or any thing like that, and 1 last question how are the graphics compared to the newer mmorpg's.

Comments

• Zerocool032Zerocool032 Member Posts: 729

Ahem. I left WoW for daoc. DAoC pvp just blows you away. I mean, rams, catipults, balistas, different types of towers /// keeps, it just owns

BTW i just found out that on mordred (sp?) pvp server that exp rates are double. PVP servers in daoc means that you can kill anything anywhere any time. Such as, armor ncps, weapon ncps, guards, healers, and of course, players

• Zerocool032Zerocool032 Member Posts: 729

Originally posted by Zerocool032
    Ahem. I left WoW for daoc. DAoC pvp just blows you away. I mean, rams, catipults, balistas, different types of towers /// keeps, it just ownsBTW i just found out that on mordred (sp?) pvp server that exp rates are double. PVP servers in daoc means that you can kill anything anywhere any time. Such as, armor ncps, weapon ncps, guards, healers, and of course, players

Oh and, you say you have a lvl 60 rogue, but uhh i dont think 57 hours of play will get you to lvl 60.

• BeermeisterBeermeister Member Posts: 104

I just got xfire about 3 weeks ago and I usualy dont have it on, my firewall doenst get along with it.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

If you get the latest expansion the graphics are comparable with the other games that just came out.  It is not as good as say EQ2, but looks as good as SWG and I think better than WoW. 

The two areas I think that are "lacking" in terms of graphics are the character models.  They just finally upgraded them and have added more customization.  It is still not as good as the game that have recently come out nor are there as many options as people want.  However they are working on that and adding more with patches now.

The second graphics issue is with the older areas of the game.  The graphics have been updated there and they fit with the game.  My issue is that they are rather bland.  Just not enough going on or as much detail compared to the newer areas.  In terms of quality it looks like all of the other areas, but it is the level of detail that is lacking.  This will be fixed this year as well with a free expansion that will redo the original game areas and the first expansion I believe. 

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

This is still a great game and has much more end-game than WoW (which is kinda non-existent). The PvP is, as said before, one of the best out there.

But you have to be aware, that it requieres a lot of time to get into the game and to equip your char until it can compete in RvR (months). The leveling has been improved afaik, the quest System re-done and the grafix really pimped up with the catacombs expansion.

However - WoW is much more for the beginner then is DAoC. DAoC is very much about competition and Equipment. Not to forget skill conceirning PvP, because you will have to face Opponents, that have been playing this game for years, the best gear and high realm ranks (awards for participating in PvP which additionally improve you characters abilities).

I wouldnt say, that DAoC has more depth then WoW, but it deffinitly is more fun on the long run. Try to find a nice guild to start with, that offers support in PvM, or you will feel kinda helpless and alone. Normal Leveling is rare, because you can "push" your low level chars with the help of lvl 50 chars to max level within 24 hours. Unlike in other games like SWG you get XP for just being in a group, not for performing actions.

Hope that helps a bit to decide whether or not this game is for you ;)

Originally posted by Lasastard

But you have to be aware, that it requieres a lot of time to get into the game and to equip your char until it can compete in RvR (months). The leveling has been improved afaik, the quest System re-done and the grafix really pimped up with the catacombs expansion.
    However - WoW is much more for the beginner then is DAoC.
    I wouldnt say, that DAoC has more depth then WoW, but it deffinitly is more fun on the long run.

Any mmorpg need to take you months to get into the game.  If not wouldn't it be better to play a FPS?  Also that is only for RvR.  You can have a lot of fun in the battlegrounds.  On most servers they are not very active until level 20.  It will take 10-15 hours of play time to get 20.

The only reason why WoW is much more for the begininer is because it is the new game on the block.  It is easier to get into, but its main advanatage is it is new.  Lots of people to group with and a common sense of discovery.  You do not get that with older games.  You can simply ask someone and find webpages telling you everything you need to know. 

As for more depth, it all depends on what you mean by depth.  DAOC has more content, more classes, and a RvR system.  But then EQ has more content than DAOC, SWG has more character cusomization and playing options, etc.  It all depends on what you are looking for as to if you consider a game having depth. 

• OttomarOttomar Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Beermeister

A few questions i had where, how long does it take to get a character to a high lvl, and are there any rewards for pvp or any thing like that, and 1 last question how are the graphics compared to the newer mmorpg's.

Taking a character to 50 (max lvl) takes anywhere from 3-30 days play time (actual in game time that is). If you have a nice guild, a buffbot or a powerleveling friend you can lvl very fast but doing it the way it was originally intended you'll spend alot of time waiting to get into a group (etc). The rewards for pvp are points wich you spend on improvements for your character.  Graphics are ok now with the new expansion.

Tried: Most MMO's, Playing: EQ2

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636
    DAoC will rock your world!! :)
  • OMFIntrepidOMFIntrepid Member Posts: 38

I quit SWG for DAoC and i have to admit DAoCis very fun, i never considered it my sort of thing and someone showed it to me i even got the demo for it and i was still in the frame of mind " nah this isn't my cup of tea" but i researched it more, looked beyond the newbie areas and i found out this game is pretty damn good, the graphics may not be the best (in England here so no catacombs yet) but the contet is fantastic.

My advice, just go and buy it, join a guild make friends get some help with the first few levels.

Trust me you will enjoy this game.

• BigxBigx Member Posts: 148

I left daoc for wow after the release of toa.  Then went to wow.  I left daoc after 2 years cause of the time sink after i hit 50 to find out my artifacts had to lvl toimage.  For me working 10+ hours a day.  Did not have the time.  Dont get me wrong the pvp system is awesome.  Even better there is 3 realms so 3 way conflict.  Much better I think than 2.   Now the issue is I am getting tired of wow.  With server issues, lag and non-existant custermor support. If this casual server works out.  I already have the game so just the monthly charge.  Worth 15 bucks to check it out for a month then get the new expansion.   Me and my wife both play and we work same amount of hours.  I have been doing mmpg around 6 years she hitting the 5 year mark.image

ps This game is much more polished then wow atm and very much worth trying.

With this new patch ToA will be much easier...
  • falconasfalconas Member Posts: 14

It's definitely worth trying...

With the new tutorials and newbie quest you will get a grip of the game in a couple of hours...

Then when you hit 20 which can be doen in a couple of days with catacombs quests and task dungeons you can start visiting the battlegrounds.

Battlegrounds is the basic form of RvR and you can se ehow it is before joining the battle in the Frontiers.

I've been trying all new games since the early UO days and DAOC is the only game in which I returned back and I really glad I did.

Been a really old game has soem advantages and soem disadvantages. There are not many newplayers around and with the /lvl command it's gonna be hard to get a group till you hit 20 but as said earlier it's just a week tops to get there.

From the other side Mythic has been around long time and really knows what to do to keep it's palyer base steady. The game has not as much content as EQ2 but it has a content and the storylines are great even in the old epic quests. New quests are been added all the time and questing can be fun too :)

In general it's a game that can leave both casual and hardcore gamers happy for a long run :)

Get me that ALE!!!!

• monkeyjoemonkeyjoe Member Posts: 2
    yea doac is definitely a game worth trying great graphics,awesome fighting some what challenging and alot of variety of classes, characters, moves, spells, items, swords, maces, whips, daggers...etc...etc definatley worth tryingimage
  • bibop588bibop588 Member Posts: 2
    DAoC is a great game i like it a lot more that WoW but thats just me daoc has a ton of quests and items (weapons magical items etc) many different fighting styles and the more you play you learn bettrer ways of playing and for the leveling if you take a good class you can make it pretty hight pretty fast ( i find necro will get you to 50 the fastest imoimage

DAoC RULZ!!

<a href="http://www.funny.com"></a>; feeling down and gloomy well come on down and click here for some jokes there pretty funny

• NihilxNihilx Member UncommonPosts: 141

It's a great game, but really it isn't -or wasn't, I've been away for some time- very hospitable to new players. It's pretty much a grind to reach lvl 50+ so you can participate in the PvP, which is fun.
    Personally, I also dislike the price of the add-on's, which due to the nature of the game, you're almost forced to buy if you wish to be competitive.

AC (retired); EQ (retired); DAoC (retired); Horizons (retired); EQII (retired); CoH (retired); AC II (tested); Lineage II (beta); Neocron (tested); Saga of Ryzom (beta); SWG (retired)...

They HAVE to make money you know....
  • Grumble69Grumble69 Member Posts: 3

There is a lot of fun to be had in DAOC. ...however, the game has a ton of serious issues that you'll never notice until you get in the end-game (particularly the RvR aspects). If you're a pretty laid back person that just wants to socialize with others, have fun, and occasionally "do something", then I say sign up & check it out. You won't be disappointed. But if you're the competitive type that is looking to omgwtfpwn the enemy players, then I would probably stay away from this game. That's a steep & frustrating hill for new players to climb (getting to L50 is about half of the battle if you want to be competitive).

Originally posted by Grumble69

There is a lot of fun to be had in DAOC. ...however, the game has a ton of serious issues that you'll never notice until you get in the end-game (particularly the RvR aspects). If you're a pretty laid back person that just wants to socialize with others, have fun, and occasionally "do something", then I say sign up & check it out. You won't be disappointed. But if you're the competitive type that is looking to omgwtfpwn the enemy players, then I would probably stay away from this game. That's a steep & frustrating hill for new players to climb (getting to L50 is about half of the battle if you want to be competitive).

A lot of people feel this way.  It depends on your play style/perspective.  Tonight I was playing my lvl 46 NS.  I do not have any artifacts and I have not even started ML.  I was out there killing albs in Emain solo.  I just had to wait and be patient like I had to in the BG.  Here I was RR 2L9 killing RR4 and RR5 from those that I looked up.

I then switched to my Eld which I have not taken out since OF.  I was like 2L2.  I was getting decimated for a long time.  Finally in the right position I was nuking the crap out of the enemy.  Of course I was getting little rps.  They often lived and as always Scouts would kill me in 1 hit.  Technically it would be 2-3 hits, but they all happened at the same time :( 

What you need to do in order to be competeive is first spend a lot of time in the BG.  Get RR 3 while out there.  Then get to 50.  If you are more competitive then get some aritifacts usually one 2-3.  It won't take that long.  You might want to get to ML 3 or so.  That should make you more than competitive enough.  In no time you will be RR5 and doing great.

But again all of that depends on what class you pick, guild, group, etc.  However just because some people think you need a buffbot, ML 10, and tons of aritifacts to compete doesn't mean that you really do.