Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony gets slammed! PS2s being removed from shelves...

2»

Comments

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Galopago
    Ahh come on...if some McDonalds coffee is worth nearly 10m then that should be at least a 200m lawsuit image

Contrary to popular beleif that McDonalds coffee lawsuit ended up settling for about $18,000. Not the millions that everyone talks about that the plaintiff tried to get from them.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• LunitariLunitari Member Posts: 32

I figure there's some other legal stuff going on that we don't know about...it obviously took some solid evidence for a jury to award something like that.

Knowing the way the video game market is today, Sony will probably keep this in litigation as long as possible to avoid responsibility.  Rephrase that, to avoid paying a dime in damages.  Microsoft, backed by the richest man in the world, settled out of court because as recent history has shown, Microsoft isn't exactly popular when it comes to its legal battles.

Bartle's test results

Explorer 73%
    Achiever 60%
    Socializer 46%
    Killer 20%

• HandaHanda Member Posts: 45

This has nothing to do with the original thread but distortion of facts is unacceptable to me.  The original ruling in the McDonalds coffee case awarded 2.7 million in puntive damage to the 81 yr. old claimant.  Upon appeal, the punitive judgement was reduced to $480.000. Medical expenses for treatment of the injuries suffered by the claimant was also awarded.  For further info, go to http://lawandhelp.com/q298-2.htm

Hijack complete. Returning to original channel.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Ahh come on...if some McDonalds coffee is worth nearly 10m then that should be at least a 200m lawsuit image

Actually, the lady only received a lifetime of free coffee at McDonald's plus payments of her medical bill. McDonald's appealed until she received that settlement. She originally won 10 million however McDonald's appealed it...went down to 5 million, appealed again and so forth.

She died of natural causes 4 years after the final settlement. So in the end she only received $698.88 through her free coffee and her $480 medical bill.

Sometimes, it's not good to sue :)

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• Dantes77Dantes77 Member Posts: 106

Coffees hot! coffees hot! COFFEES HOT!!!! WTF!??? It even says it on the ****ing side of the cup *points to cup* how did somebody even get ANY money from such a stupid case!? There needs to be a law against common sense stupidity!!! Just like that god damn fatass who sued McDonalds for being fat! JUST the FACT he made it to the court room with a lawyer who would AGREE to bring up a frivilous lawsuit is stupid as hell!!!!! I think im gonna sue sony or funcom for stealing all of my time and money and hours of some of my life for playing their unending games!!! *sarcasm* anyways!!

*whips out a machine gun* IM GOING HOME!!! So get out of my way!!! AND WHEN DID THIS THREAD TURN INTO THE DAMN MCDONALDS HOT COFFEE CASE!!!imageimageimage

*points gun at next poster* Sit down! Think about what your gonna say! *talks to self* forums are killing my inner spirit AND IT GIVES TO MUCH FREEDOM TO FREE SPeech! *sigh*

*puts gun down* Im sorry go ahead.

-Dantes77 "is falling down"

• WickesWickes Member UncommonPosts: 749

Originally posted by En1Gma

Actually, the lady only received a lifetime of free coffee at McDonald's plus payments of her medical bill. McDonald's appealed until she received that settlement. She originally won 10 million however McDonald's appealed it...went down to 5 million, appealed again and so forth.

She died of natural causes 4 years after the final settlement. So in the end she only received $698.88 through her free coffee and her $480 medical bill.

Sometimes, it's not good to sue :)

You must be thinking of the Seinfeld episode ;)  It was Kramer who got free coffee for life.  The poster above you got it correct.  Ultimately this plaintff and McDonalds reached a  settlement during the appeal, and the terms of the settlement were secret, at McDonald's insistence.  Since that case McDonald's has reduced the temperature of it's coffee to a level similar to other restaurants where 3rd degree burns don't occur as fast as 2 seconds, as was happening prior to this (700+ other cases).
  • Ken`ShieroKen`Shiero Member Posts: 289

80+ million dollars and 8.7 million in interest all for a g'damn rumble feature that I just thought was the most insignificant thing. Sony, what in the heck were you thinking you can get away with such a thing. Stealing a feature so  life taking important that it cost you millions of dollars and now you have to take your PS2s off the shelf! Thats bullish!. how can they do that all over the damn rumble feature! This angers me to the point to write a angry letter to them.

Life is funny, one day you are competing with a new game console (X-Box) and winning then you are it seems thrown out of the running by a lousy rumble feature. Ha aha aha ah hahaha..... I don't hear laughter, louder damn it! image

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Yeebo
    Did you find out here like I did?

Or did you figure that out from my post?

Sorry if I'm being snippy, I'm at work way too late and bit cranky.

No, mister high and mighty "I'm the only one who can find data on an issue", I found it here:
    http://www.developers.net/aggregator

more here:
    http://www.shacknews.com/news_archive_overview.x/2005/1/14

And a little more here:
    http://www.davis.ca/publications/2005-01_video_game_law_report_4.pdf

Sorry to burst your bubble. And yes, you're being snippy. And being at work late is no excuse. So far this week I have about 40 hours in and tomorrow is Thursday, not Friday so that number is only gonna get worse.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Elnator

Originally posted by Yeebo
    Did you find out here like I did?

Or did you figure that out from my post?

Sorry if I'm being snippy, I'm at work way too late and bit cranky.

No, mister high and mighty "I'm the only one who can find data on an issue", I found it here:
    http://www.developers.net/aggregator

more here:
    http://www.shacknews.com/news_archive_overview.x/2005/1/14

And a little more here:
    http://www.davis.ca/publications/2005-01_video_game_law_report_4.pdf

Sorry to burst your bubble. And yes, you're being snippy. And being at work late is no excuse. So far this week I have about 40 hours in and tomorrow is Thursday, not Friday so that number is only gonna get worse.

Hey!  Oh what a difference 24 hours makes, sorry that I was an idgit.  For some reason I found it annoying that you posted pretty much the same info right after me, as if my post never existed. But in retrospect, who the hell cares.   As far as the 40+ hours week's I'm right there with you, pulling my fourth 12 hour day this week (since Sunday).  I normally work 60+ hours week.  I know I'm not the only one, just saying I know your pain.  In any case, peace brother. 

More on topic, I agree with many here that Sony screwed the pooch.  They neede to settle before things get any worse.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Can't :) Micro$oft owns 10% of the suing company now. Do you honestly think Micro$oft cares about a couple million? I doubt it. I suspect they'll eventually let Sony settle, but it's gonna be a big settlement, not some measly $23M.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I totally agree, it's going to go a lot harder on them than it would have if Sony hadn't been stubborn about it.  But they stand to lose a lot more if they really have to stop selling PS2s along with all of the top selling games that utilize rumble tech.

One thing I'm a bit buzzled about is why Nintendo wasn't included in the suit?  Is the gamecube rumble based on that old gizmo that attached to the N64 controller?  And how bloody annoying was it to have to play Zelda with one of those things attached.  Ah, now I ramble . . .

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.