Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online - a possible alternative?

BitshiftBitshift Member Posts: 31

Well, for me I can say that Mortal Online has failed massively, I've totally lost any faith in that company and that bug festival they call a game.

But the search for an alternative isn't easy, as there simple is none available (it seems).

Yes, Darkfall UW arrives shortly, but perhaps I have found another one. Has anyone some more infos, if http://www.wizardrythegame.com/ could be a game worth playing, regarding to the MO style?

THX

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

are you talking about this WO: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/681/feature/6842/Hardcore-You-Bet-It-Is.html/page/1 ?

personaly the only resemblence i see would be the frustration both games create.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Sorry bro but i have a doubt that WO is going to fair any better than MO. 

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132
    I find running straight into a brick wall or sleeping on a nail bed a worthy alternative to MO. Or a cleanser-induced asthma attack.
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by FastSloth
    I find running straight into a brick wall or sleeping on a nail bed a worthy alternative to MO. Or a cleanser-induced asthma attack.

LOL. You are the Winner of this thread.

-As to the Ops question. No, this isnt anything like MO in theory or otherwise... Oh wait, PVP game with no sand in the sandbox? maybe you are onto something here... =/

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

It's currently in Beta and having watched my friendload it up the other night my first thoughtd were why are we being made to watch every cut scene in the game and then when it did finally load into game play it was horrid...I left after that to go play Eve.

Bandit

Asbo

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

People are tossing false rumors about this game about the cut scenes, yes there was a bug causing it, but they DO NOT force you to watch any, I have been able to pass through every cut scene, people forgot the game is in beta and bugs will happen, but the dungeons are fun so far, I like the bounty hunter system its great. I'm not a fan of Anima at all, not my cup of tea, but the game has full loot PVP, the combat is more skill base, you can dodge on your on, you can block on your own, which I love.

The animations do need work so you can know when to dodge block etc, but that is to be expected overall, I been impressed and I dislike most Korean games and anything to do with Sony and I will be playing this, also another false rumor about them being P2W, is a lie, I don't know where people come up with such lies and people jump on the band wagon, to many darn followers in this world.

Is tha game like MO? No not really , but if you like Full loot PVP, etc , tactics and such, WO may be for you, it will be F2P. So when it does come out you will be able to play the game for your self. I feel the people behide WO is alot better than MO, because they seem to listen , every bug I have reported I have gotten replys back and some fixed, one was the cut scene issue, and it was fixed.

The issue to many people are lazy and rather complain than report issues.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Is this one of those games where you work really hard to get shit then people kill and loot your corpse dry?   Other than that I love hard gameplay.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

People are tossing false rumors about this game about the cut scenes, yes there was a bug causing it, but they DO NOT force you to watch any, I have been able to pass through every cut scene, people forgot the game is in beta and bugs will happen, but the dungeons are fun so far, I like the bounty hunter system its great. I'm not a fan of Anima at all, not my cup of tea, but the game has full loot PVP, the combat is more skill base, you can dodge on your on, you can block on your own, which I love.

The animations do need work so you can know when to dodge block etc, but that is to be expected overall, I been impressed and I dislike most Korean games and anything to do with Sony and I will be playing this, also another false rumor about them being P2W, is a lie, I don't know where people come up with such lies and people jump on the band wagon, to many darn followers in this world.

Is tha game like MO? No not really , but if you like Full loot PVP, etc , tactics and such, WO may be for you, it will be F2P. So when it does come out you will be able to play the game for your self. I feel the people behide WO is alot better than MO, because they seem to listen , every bug I have reported I have gotten replys back and some fixed, one was the cut scene issue, and it was fixed.

From the sound of it, it doesn't feel like the original Wizardry ..

The original Wizardry series was single player, and while it had permadeath, it was pretty easy to avoid.  Don't let your full party die, and don't tackle big stuff unless you overpower them.

In this new Wizardry Online, PVP and permadeath, plus grouped content in which someone can be griefed .. plus a cashshop to avoid permadeath (versus sacrificing your gear if F2P) meh.

I bet Sir-Tech would have done it better than a cash grab.  Even if people from Sir-Tech still linger.  The original Wizardry never had a cash shop.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

All I can say is that having been a Wizardry fan since the 1980s I will try this and (hopefully) its as deep as you say.

The P2W thing has to do with the fact you can pretty much avoid permadeath by paying . If that is true or not, I dont know (as I said I have to base my impressions on what I read having not played ) but if so it ruins it for me.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

the most fun ive seen in Wizardry so far is the rerolling of your character

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

I always thought that PermaDeath was an interesting option in these FPS/MMO hybrids like Mortal.  Character development is fairly limited so as the fans so often claim.. you can be effective in just a day or two of playing.

That would really make people think twice before pointlessly PKing.  Actions need repercusions. 

Too late now.. and I do not think Wizardry is going to fare much better... but maybe someday someone will be able to integrate permadeath in a meaningful yet fun way.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I always thought that PermaDeath was an interesting option in these FPS/MMO hybrids like Mortal.  Character development is fairly limited so as the fans so often claim.. you can be effective in just a day or two of playing.

That would really make people think twice before pointlessly PKing.  Actions need repercusions. 

Too late now.. and I do not think Wizardry is going to fare much better... but maybe someday someone will be able to integrate permadeath in a meaningful yet fun way.

i think it would drive people away as opposed to encourage people to stay, with perma death you encourage grouping pking is simply to profitable/fun for people to not pk just for the sake of it, they would certainly be tentative with even numbers but when they odds are greatly in their favour they would risk it.

happens in dayz.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    Originally posted by Bitshift

Well, for me I can say that Mortal Online has failed massively, I've totally lost any faith in that company and that bug festival they call a game.

But the search for an alternative isn't easy, as there simple is none available (it seems).

Yes, Darkfall UW arrives shortly, but perhaps I have found another one. Has anyone some more infos, if http://www.wizardrythegame.com/ could be a game worth playing, regarding to the MO style?

THX

I've got my eye on Greed Monger. Less PVP, more crafting and fluff than MO. Www.greedmonger.com.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    I can't see someone choosing between the two titles. Yea, the concepts are similar, but the control scheme and world setup serves separate tastes. 

darkfall and mo appeal to me but this doesnt,

i think gloria victus

and embers of cearus are more appealling to the EX MO player.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    EDITED..
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by deathshroud

i think it would drive people away as opposed to encourage people to stay, with perma death you encourage grouping pking is simply to profitable/fun for people to not pk just for the sake of it, they would certainly be tentative with even numbers but when they odds are greatly in their favour they would risk it.

happens in dayz.

With permadeath, players are far less likely to PK, especially if there are harsh penalties in addition to the chance of permadeath.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BitshiftBitshift Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

With permadeath, players are far less likely to PK, especially if there are harsh penalties in addition to the chance of permadeath.

Well, that will not work for PKGroups. Full Loot / Perma Death is a risky business, that forces a well thought out concept and a working world. Full Loot in Mortal Online fails massively for example, because the design does not simply match that random PK Deathmatch style of the game. There are more than quality reasons while I won't play MO anymore, but this is another story.

Unfortunalety, that Asia style of Wizardry will be hard to ignore, even if it should work gameplay wise. If they are able to create a world in which perma death WILL work along with all other features ... respect.

My problem is, after playing a sandbox like MO, all themeparks won't work anymore. Those repetive questing / public quest end game centric content is dumb to the core, no matter if you play a Guild Wars 2 or WoW (ok, the PvP only part of GW2 is nice, but it's that typical Button smashing combat cooldown system that simply sucks compared to Chivalry e.g.). But there are no alternatives.

Darkfall UW, I have tested DF and combat was like jumping around and simple Left mouse button clicking without any tactical depth (at least when NOT playing with a bow or magic), I did not like it. Embers of Chearus has to show if it can deliver, what no one can say atm.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

happens in dayz.

I disagree.  I think that permadeath would make people really weight the consequences of their actions.  Also, you might actually see more people wear their good equipment out and about which is always a problem in full loot games.

DayZ is purely a shooter... run on hundred of servers.  There is no penalty for killing random player #12321.  In an MMO.. if your ficticious group came upon 2-3 players from another guild, sure they may start a fight.  There would be significant political repercussions though...

Even killing unguilded players would have consequences. Reputation would matter. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I disagree.  I think that permadeath would make people really weight the consequences of their actions.  Also, you might actually see more people wear their good equipment out and about which is always a problem in full loot games.

DayZ is purely a shooter... run on hundred of servers.  There is no penalty for killing random player #12321.  In an MMO.. if your ficticious group came upon 2-3 players from another guild, sure they may start a fight.  There would be significant political repercussions though...

Even killing unguilded players would have consequences. Reputation would matter. 

It COULD work, if everything built around Perma Death and Full Loot will perfectly fit together, and people are concerned about the things they do. If there are just a handfull of people that give a fuck about social relations or "correct gameplay" (this doesn't exist), then all self controlling stuff won't work, it's simple as that. One guy that don't play within "the rules" will break your gaming experience, and there is nothing you can do about this.

The only thing that could prevent this to happen is a controlling instance which will prevent the player from actually playing the game. This really gets complicated if people pay a subscription and starting to complain about things. They support the game by paying for it, but on the other hand damaging it with their unsocial behaviour (but withing regular possibilities of the game). And no one REALLY wants the company to interrupt valid, but unsocial gamestyles, then the shitstorm would really begin.

Imagine a full loot game in which you have PKed a poor newb and where you get arrested for a week in real time, paying full price. I think this is a good example to discuss if this would rather be a "good" thing gameplay related or "a no go". If you think it's a no go, but like to play a full loot MMORPG, perhaps with perma death, you will have a bunch of problems solving those problems. This conflict is far away from being trivial. 

In a typical themepark, there is far less impact with that.

perma death just encourages palyers to roam arouns in large numbers, fair fights would no longer exist and the game would consist of ganking.

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

Its a very fun game. Feels like an old school SNES/PS1 RPG but online with party and stuff.

Combat is fun, PVP is pk anytime once you get the "noob" off of you, Rank 1 you cannot be killed by a pker that will last up to lvl 7.

Pkers become criminals they have bounties placed on them and are open to be killed without penalty by non-criminals.

I like the game a ton so far.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

perma death just encourages palyers to roam arouns in large numbers, fair fights would no longer exist and the game would consist of ganking.

This is what I'm saying. When I was playing MO, this was the standard, and it does not even have perma death. MO is a good example of everything centered around full loot is NOT working, IMO.

I don't know why people have such a problem with a hybrid like inventory loot, for example. If you die, you loose everything you've got in your inventory. Combined with local economics you'll have the thrill of bringing stuff from A to B PLUS items have a value now. If everything that is beeing crafted is not worth crafting because you die every 5 hours by a group o' griefers, then why even bother?

AND:

If you don't have to requip constantly you have more time and will to go out and risk something. But it is wasted breath to talk about things like that, at least regarding MO.