Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A top of the line MMO

My recent "World of Weaksauce" post got me to thinking exactly what it is I look for to make a top of the line MMO.

1.  Include all the features that were present in the original World of Warcraft.

2.  Introduce crafting and pets/minions immediately after the basic training zone (around level 6 in WoW).

3.  When apprentice crafting is learned, a full set of basic gear/enchant/glyph/potions/whatever recipes should be available.  As it is now, low level crafters outlevel the gear they can make very quickly.

This format should be followed as the crafter levels to journeyman/expert etc.  This does not preclude the availablity of "special" recipes through drops or awards.

4.  In order to keep PvP balanced,  make all enchants, crafted gear etc. level restricted.  By that I mean if you must be level 20 to make the item, then you must be level 20 to use the item.

5.  Eliminate heirlooms.  Spend your honor on pvp gear, potions, etc.  If you want additional honor sinks, make pvp titles available for purchase.

6.  Keep the present mount availibilty to all characters on that server.  That was a good idea imo.

7.  Make all types of weapons and gear available as lower level pvp gear.  WTF is with no lower level pvp axes anyway?

You guys have something against Orcs?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  If you have more to offer, go for it.

Comments

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Personally speaking WOW is the reason MMO's are in such a bad state today, not because it does things well but because it makes money and has sucked all creativity from the developers in recent years.

So to be honest, a top of the line MMO for me should take nothing from WOW other then making the game polished and content full. For instance WOW combat is really old and I cannot really accept it in new MMO design.

With so many good idea's splattered amongst other games out there I would not really be looking to WOW for many idea's but to make the next generation of game.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,900
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Personally speaking WOW is the reason MMO's are in such a bad state today, not because it does things well but because it makes money and has sucked all creativity from the developers in recent years.

So to be honest, a top of the line MMO for me should take nothing from WOW other then making the game polished and content full. For instance WOW combat is really old and I cannot really accept it in new MMO design.

With so many good idea's splattered amongst other games out there I would not really be looking to WOW for many idea's but to make the next generation of game.

Yeah. I'm with you but I'm not very hopeful. Computer/console games, including MMOs, are mainstream big business now produced with the same mentality that brings us Rocky 13 and the upcoming Mickey Mouse Wars--Episodes 7-20.

Very few games come out now that are truly unique and knock our socks off like they did 10 years ago. We just get variations on the same proven financially succesful theme.

There are the odd unique ones released but they are typically low-budget, poorly implemented disasters that try way too hard to be different just for difference's sake not because their "different" is better in any way or fun.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Well what I see here is Wow with a few changes, we have all seen how well that works, they have all died on the vine.  You are going to have to get far more radical to even come close to a game that will work.