Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we really falling for this again?!

12346»

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

There will always be people who fall for the hype..

Some who have been bitten numerous times will still fall for it.

as far as ESO goes,the fact that its going to be a theme park alone turns me wayyyyy off.Their hype will definitely not work on me.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    If they are making a themepark, what I want to know is, what have they learned from all the themeparks released since WoW?
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by Bl4ck3nD
    So many people follow the herd when it comes to mmo's, why don't people research a game a little before they buy it. I myself have not been burned or felt scammed by any game that I have brawt.

I do research but i don't trust other people's opinions when it comes to video games.I will never know if i like a game myself unless i play it.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

"We"?

I knew how SW:TOR would end up the minute they said it would be a "story based" mmorpg.  Remaining highly skeptical of TESO. 

ETA:  This setting would have been perfect for a new AAA 'sandbox' title.  That they failed to realize this is a huge turnoff.  We don't need themepark after themepark after themepark.  This game, so far, seems to similar to GW2.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    Oh yes. They will fall.

You meant antihypes?

Hype wars, that figures.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

I will be buying this and so will every single other person that posted in this thread. Put away the big grouchy meany face, you know I am right.

=)

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Let the cycle begin

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by sirachman

Hell no I am not. Keep your theme park bullshit mmos, your repetitive gear raids, and your battleground pvp.

Call me when the sandbox is full. I'm ready

So what you're saying is you did gleefully embrace the hype..of a different game?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by Loke666

My interest for ESO died when the lead designer said that all good ideas for MMOs had already been done a while back...

I stopped following this game the moment I read that comment by Matt Firor. This type of person is literally the last thing that this unhealthy and stagnated genre needs.

Hopeless only begins to describe the situation with this title.  

"Stagnated" atmosphere must mean something different to you. MMOs on average have over 14 million active players. Many of them enjoy great game play and interaction with other players. I myself enjoy an old game (FFXI) right now with a small handful of like minded players. If the genre was so stall there would not be millions of gamers still active in the worlds. If as an individual you find it so challenging to play and to entertain yourself maybe you need to find a new genre to game in?

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I don't know what I'm supposed to be ‘falling for’. TOR and GW2 were exactly what I expected. (In short, excellent.)

I'd love a good sandbox, but I don't consider it some ultimate destiny of the genre apart from which all else is regressive. I want to play Dragon Age with my wife and friends just as much as I want to play Skyrim with them.

My interest for ESO died when the lead designer said that all good ideas for MMOs had already been done a while back...

I stopped following this game the moment I read that comment by Matt Firor. This type of person is literally the last thing that this unhealthy and stagnated genre needs.

Now this is interesting. Anyone got a link to where this happened?

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Falling for what?

Im not one of you guys that are trying to recapture that new feeling you had a decade ago with your first mmo...

I like the way things are, I have fun with my themeparks and sandbox games. I dont hold this genre up like its the genre to end all genres.

Ill be buying TESO because I think it will be fun for a couple months while im playing other games in different genres.

Imo you guys expect way too much out of mmos.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Altough i love to play any good WvW / RvR / PvP game with a solid ranks of fun classes set into a medieval style world.
    I remain extremely sceptical.

Last 5 /6 years have seen so many mmo's flop after building up a crazy momentum of hype and falling flat on the face.
    GW2 is the only mmo good enough to play WvW in atm, (lol at people saying it fails)

Let them prove we are wrong, but man so many features and so many promises makes you think it will fall flat on the face again.

Wait and see i gues ?

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Saerain

I don't know what I'm supposed to be ‘falling for’. TOR and GW2 were exactly what I expected. (In short, excellent.)

I'd love a good sandbox, but I don't consider it some ultimate destiny of the genre apart from which all else is regressive. I want to play Dragon Age with my wife and friends just as much as I want to play Skyrim with them.

Now this is interesting. Anyone got a link to where this happened?

“At this point in the evolution of MMOs, every MMO has tried something at one point or another that you’re going to do in your game. There aren’t any more truly innovative features.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/31/the-elder-scrolls-online-video-interview-game-director-matt-firor-on-evolving-tes-into-an-mmo/

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I can sit here and say I am not going to buy this game after getting burned for $150 by SWTOR. Im not going to lie. Im a sucker and I probably will buy this game regardless.
  • LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119

It will be a generic piece of shit, because they have gotten rid of everything that made the gameplay unique in all the Elder Scroll´s games, they have admited to this.

I thought GW2 was alright, it did a few things differently from other mmos and that changed the feel of the game for the better, i dont see how anyone can say it "failed".

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by LhynnSaint

It will be a generic piece of shit, because they have gotten rid of everything that made the gameplay unique in all the Elder Scroll´s games, they have admited to this.

I thought GW2 was alright, it did a few things differently from other mmos and that changed the feel of the game for the better, i dont see how anyone can say it "failed".

I'm not sure you've seen the latest press for TESO. They certainly haven't gotten rid of 'everything' that made the gameplay unique - heavily skill based/any class can use any weapon, combat works with lft/right mouse buttons for example. And you find me one quote that they have admitted to 'getting rid of everything that made elder scroll's unique'. I assure you, everything that has released has said it was important to maintain the unique feel.

But it is nice of you to formulate a solid opinion based upon the first couple of press releases, and assume you know everything about the game, even as the facts change around you.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by LhynnSaint

I'm not sure you've seen the latest press for TESO. They certainly haven't gotten rid of 'everything' that made the gameplay unique - heavily skill based/any class can use any weapon, combat works with lft/right mouse buttons for example. And you find me one quote that they have admitted to 'getting rid of everything that made elder scroll's unique'. I assure you, everything that has released has said it was important to maintain the unique feel.

But it is nice of you to formulate a solid opinion based upon the first couple of press releases, and assume you know everything about the game, even as the facts change around you.

Yup, it sounds to me more like there will be tanks, there will be healers and there will be dps, you cant get more generic than that mate. The fact that you have to pick your build means that you cant master every single thing (wich you have always been able to in the elder scrolls).

The fact that there will be instances also sucks. and bosses after every dungeon strikes me as not straying far from generic mmo 101.

Core mechanics have already been announced, and NOTHING in there is either new or original, and I for one, am tired of playing the same freaking game with a different tittle.

you want good original games? play atlantica, play dofus, play DDO, heck even city of heroes is like nothing ive ever seen in the whole mmo market. There are more, im sure, and i enjoyed them.

Doing something good and original is.not.that.fucking.hard. but the devs of this elder scroll online are scared of trying something new, thats the main reason it will fail.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

They are Refurbishing DAOC, Repurposing some standard elements from other MMOs and wrapping it up in an Elder Scrolls package.

Its like when Dodge took the Neon chassis and put a different body on it and called it a PT Cruiser, or when GM took the Yukon chassis, put a different body on it and called it a Hummer.

POS that the public bought because it looked cool

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Still don't know how I feel about this game. After watching what has come out in the last 5 years or so I am curious to see what they think the "majority" of players want.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

What I see is another attempt to recapture that lost DAoC feeling using a popular IP that in this case happens not to be a movie or book IP but a CRPG IP. This could work...or not. Just don't get too worked-up about it and you won't "fall" for anything.

Time will tell. There will be trailers. There wil be betas. There will be (probaly) a $60 cost to buy and try for a month if you can't peek at the betas.

So let's give this thread a rest and go talk about what we actualy know about the game features so far...sorta like adult MMO fans. image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Gotta love the hyperdramatization regarding the success or failure of MMOs.  It never ceases to entertain me. 

Look, it's a video game not a life changing event like purchasing a home that falls apart.  Most of us will buy it, try it, and either love it or move on.  It's $60 not 100s of thousands of dollars. 

Though there are certainly very legitimate concerns.  Like the heavy use of phasing and limited exploration based on faction.  These 2 things make a MMO world feel small and cramped.  I'm not saying it is or will be but it's all about perception.  This was a huge issue with SWTOR for a lot of people.  Limiting where people go and can't go really shortens the longevity of a game imho.  A gaming world needs to at least feel seamless.  The whole eharmony phasing system just spells disaster. 

There are only 2 things right now that appeal to me.  1)  The action combat.  2)  Class customization with freedom of using any and all weapons/armour types.(though I'm skeptical how well this will work in a MMO) 

I predict that I will buy the game and play for 2-3 months before I move on. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube