Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My inside information: Funcom being bought out

2»

Comments

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by defector1968
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    doesnt seem right, EAs track record shows them buying good companys and destroying them. what will they do with funcom? that place is already a mess.

arent any good left so they drop their standards :)

ah finally a real answer.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I am hesitant about it. Unless it's a real bargain. Economy is going to go downhill in next 4 years, companies are wary.

But who knows.

Well first off, nobody knows what the economy is going to do in the next 4 years.  

Secondly, there is absolutely no reason to expect a poor economy hurts MMOs.  In fact, there is probably more reason to think it helps MMOs.

Cheap, escapist entertainment does well in bad times.  And that is *exactly* what MMORPGs are.  And that includes P2P, 15 for a month's entertainment is a steal.  Hell, movie theaters do well in down times and thats 15 per 2 hours if you get popcorn.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by jpnz Don't think EA is in a position to make a move like this. Acti-Blizz on the other hand is loaded with cash. It is hilarious to see some people think 'being on the board' = buyout. Kotick (Acti-Blizz CEO) is on the board for Coca-Cola. I am pretty sure Coca-Cola isn't buying Acti-Blizz. XD    
    It's only hilarious to people who have absolutely no clue about business, particularly "hostile takeovers". Funcom's recent little insider trading issue along with other screw-ups and less than stellar performance the past few years makes Funcom a ripe target for such. 

Funcom is a publically traded company. Funcom is beholden to one thing: its investors. Do you think for one second Funcom's investors will say no to EA?

Investors want only one thing: a return on their money. Funcom isn't providing that. In fact, investors have LOST money time and again the last few years due to Funcom's performance and issues. And having a board filled with people who will most definitely vote on the side of the sale, added to the investors who will lap EA up like thirsty dogs will lap water from a creek, if EA wants Funcom they will have it.

I was afraid of this and hope your info is wrong, OP. But as has already been posted, Funcom's investors are looking for a return on their money and a sale (even if via a hostile takeover) generally produces a good return.

If true, one can only hope it's not EA. =/

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

I was afraid of this and hope your info is wrong, OP. But as has already been posted, Funcom's investors are looking for a return on their money and a sale (even if via a hostile takeover) generally produces a good return.

If true, one can only hope it's not EA. =/

I also hope its not NCsoft given their track record of shuting down MMOs (not that EA is much better in that regard).

I really want to see the new engine in AO.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

why would EA buy funcom ...they have their own problems...sounds more like a EA / funcom fan boie to me..even if they did why would this be a big deal anyways..they both suck lol

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

What a compelte waste of money that would be.  I believe they are in big trouble financially after the bomb that was TSW.

I would maybe buy their properties, but not the company or employees.  If some employees want to come over after you buy the properties that's fine.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I am hesitant about it. Unless it's a real bargain. Economy is going to go downhill in next 4 years, companies are wary.

But who knows.

Oh?  Really?  That's funny, everything I've seen on the economy has it globally going "uphill"  but I guess you are free to believe whatever brainwashing you like.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

What a compelte waste of money that would be.  I believe they are in big trouble financially after the bomb that was TSW.

I would maybe buy their properties, but not the company or employees.  If some employees want to come over after you buy the properties that's fine.

Not really a waste.

*IF* they were to go the hostile takeover route, for example, they'd get the company for a bare minimum expense.

They would again strengthen their european presence and remove yet another competitor in the process.

They would then do some "reorganization" and "cleanup" which would most likely include laying off many of the current FC devs and replacing them with their own, possibly keeping AO ( as this gives them a new unique IP to exploit), and keeping AoC ( again, this gives them direct access to the Conan IP holders, as well as additional leverage to craft a better deal for future Conan games  ) and TSW ( another unique IP for the larder ) alive as F2P cash shop milking cows.

There really is no downside for either EA nor the FC shareholders. Everyone wins. Except FC.

Unless they get Funcom for cents on the dollar, it isn't a good purchase.  They are utter failures at developing MMOs and aren't really a competitor to anyone.  TSW IP is worthless.  Conan isn't the most marketable IP these days either.  Maybe the next film with Arnie can change that, but in that case just make an MMO based on the film franchise.

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Well if EA or Activision buys Funcom it might as well be renamed to "Defcom"
  • ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
      Conan isn't the most marketable IP these days either.  Maybe the next film with Arnie can change that, but in that case just make an MMO based on the film franchise.

Funcom has the rights for mmo's on Conan so nobody but Funcom can make a mmo with Conan brand...