Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BOOOOOOO!!!!! NO LOOT FROM MOBS??!?!?!?!

Check out #31  http://hovault.ign.com/thegame/info/fangencon.shtml

Why in world would you create a MMORPG where the mobs do not drop usable loot?????  Ask the creators of the over hyped SWG, they would know....  Special loot from mobs gives us a reason to play the game.  Why would 50 to 100 people get together and kill a boss mob.. just for the kill?  NO!  It's for the opportunity to win that uber item, and for the kill!  You didn't clear the planes 25 times just to gather hides and meat.... Why would someone spend hundreds of hours online.. to build a house? work on skills?  perhaps... but I built up over 240 days on EQ in dungeons looking for that elusive item to sell for mass plat in the commons, leveling working on skills was done in addition to questing for the epic item (cloak of flames)... not tree bark!!!!  You didn't play dungeons and dragons to build a fake house!!!!!! You played to win fake items DAMNIT!!!!   Sigh...  I am not interested in spending hours upon hours doing mindless tasks to build a set of 20 sided dice that aren't worth a !@#$!@#... CAUSE THERE IS NOTHING TO ROLL ON!!!!!  RANT RANT RANT  The EQ economy didn't have the same GDP as Russia because everyone made meat pies!!!! It was the fungi tunic and the runed girdle that did that. 

Goza  65 Cleric Quellious.... waiting for EQ2 or World of WarCraft...

Comments

• AzDraonAzDraon Member Posts: 4

The reason to go and kill "Bosses" in Horizons is not for any loot it might produce. It is for the rare minerals that it might be guarding, or the treasure behind him. So there is loot, just not on the boss. Which does make perfect sense.

Dragon Knights Guild is Here.
    Http://www.dragonknights.co.nr

Dragon Knights Guild is Here.
    Http://www.dragonknights.co.nr

• HedenHeden Member Posts: 131

I am waiting for my decision on this...I would like to hear what AE has to say on it.

IMHO I think the way that they are going is that they want a community run game.  UO did a great job of that.  Without a community a game will die.  Horizons is about the globe (server) working together to beat back the WA. 

From what I know of the loot system (no usable loot) I have concerns as we all do, but I am giving AE the benifit of the doupt that it will work.  I want to hear from then how it works...not how people have interperated it and misconstrewed it.

Heden

***Just agree with me and we will get along fine*** :P

Heden

• SoultierSoultier Member Posts: 24
    I agree there looking at the big Picture. They want people to get hooked to this game and stay along time. Thus there making it very player/community oriented. No more fighting with somebody over a spawn spot and mob for uber items. =P and i'm sure there will be some items like magic/quest items. and theres always gold. and has to be other stuff since dragons will have hoards afterall.

• CalmCalm Member Posts: 17

At first I will not lie I was upset...I come from the world where creatures drop items items I sell for gold followed by me saying 5w3et and buying some new armor.

Its a cycle I have lived by for many years and now it will be broken image but I can get over it lol.  Its not that bad remember the days when there were lines to kill said creature so they would drop said items and either you wait and get it or when you are about to its ninja looted image 

Or when camp grounds were packed and you had to wait for a spot in a group blah, so now it will be a littel better.  Creatures may drop rare minerals or may not...it could be located in a strong box behind said MOB what makes for a little bit more realism.  Why do betteles carry rings?  (REmember that P.A. strip) why does Lord Evil bad GUY EVIL carry a sword of ultimate evil and never uses it to slay you? 

And lets say Lord Evil badguy evil does carry said sword, its random if he drops it instead of his evil armor and evil robe you could get his Ring of +2 flower guarding and have to wait 2 hours for him to respawn image so I dont mind

Minerals arent that bad, just let me throw them at people if I dont ned them image

• RPGPorksterRPGPorkster Member Posts: 77

It's called BORING.   How long will it take for a player to get through seeing 1001 rusty swords or metal drops.

AE have diverted off a very important RPG theme and I think it SUCKS.

A monster should drop what is realistic if the monster did exisit.  The higher the mob's duty the better the items.

This trade based treaure concept will get very boring very quick.   I for one didn't see much fun in EQ's attempt to drop more trade resources then treasue when compared to the fun of the original game areas.

• odinwiseodinwise Member Posts: 79

If you don't like community, roleplay driven MMORPGs, then don't play this one.  That's what this is.  I personally think mobs dropping equipment and treasure is ridiculous.  I much more like the idea of having to defeat the boss to get the treasure he's GUARDING.  I'm very eager for a game just like Horizons is going to be, something community driven, with no powergaming bullshit.  I'm so sick of that.

Btw, I never played D&D to kill things and get cool items.  NEVER.  I was raised on the game by ROLEPLAYERS, not powergamers.  For your information, I did actually play D&D to build a house.  Well not exactly, but I played it to become a character in another world.  Not to kill gnolls in their stupid boring same old dungeon.  Now of course I went on adventures and got cool stuff from it, but in many different ways other than killing the "boss" which is typical of a dungeon crawler.  That's why I'm looking forward to Horizons so much.  Finally an MMORPG that seems VERY roleplay friendly.

Pune!

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Horizons will be one of the best games out to date as I can see.  It's touching base with a lot of the demands that players want.  Sure, other games incorperated these mechanics but they did it wrong, they didn't push the community to NEED each other.  I think that's what is going to set Horizons above the rest.

For the whole monster dropping armor.. that was ridiculous.. and still is.  I too like the idea of getting the "guarded" treasure/items.

---------------------------------------
    You can't stop the bum rush
    www.mmorpg.com - staff

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• TineaTinea Member UncommonPosts: 86

I like the idea of treasure drops.  It breaks up some of the boredom of leveling in games.  However I hate the idea of mob X drop treasure Y.  I'd reather give up a game being realistic (why does that beetle drop a helm?) and instead have random drops so that one mob or area would not be camped for the best item in the game.

This is still going to be a game to me, so I don't mind if that beetle does drop a helm as long as its random (I didn't camp the beetle for that helm).  I know that this will have an economy driven by crafters, but why not still have magical drops that were created in some mysterious fashion instead of by a crafter?  I do not think that the world needs to be 100% crafter driven.  I'd like to see some random drops off mobs.

• MaximumJohnMaximumJohn Member Posts: 8

OH NO LOL NO LOOT THIS GAME IS DIFFRENT THAN ANYTHING ELSE EYE PLAYED LOL NO ITEMS FROM ENEMIES = TEH SUCK WHY DID THEY DO THAT THIS GAME WILL FAIL CAUSE U CAN'T GET TEH ITEMS FROM TEH MONSTORS>>>!?

If this game sounds stupid to you then don't play it.  From what I can tell MMORPGs where NEVER intended to be solo games.  Why even make it an online game if you don't need other people do to shit?

Enemies will have loot, but it won't be in the form of useable equipment.  My god, I've never seen so many people bitch about a game that has as of yet to be released just because it doesn't follow the mold.  You people who are so close minded and stuborn that you resist change in any form should be shot.

Its like you crap your pants at the thought of being a Dragon, then you crap your pants again in anger because the game won't work like all the rest of the MMORPGs.

• TineaTinea Member UncommonPosts: 86

Max J,

I posted my reasons why I would like to see usable loot drop.  At no point in my post did I a) crap my pants or b) say that I hated the game.  I think special random drops once in a while make a game interesting, but I did not say that it would ruin the experience for me.

Until I actually try it, I cannot say for sure that it is good or bad.  And neither can you.  It may turn out that the system will really stink.  Will you have an open mind then and say so?

I guess that I'm tired of posts from people that feel they are the pinnacle of open-mindedness (no you didn't actually say that) because they back what a developer is doing differently.  Being different from other games is important, because it can fix things that other games did poorly.  But doing something differenly doesn't automatically make it a good idea.  But I guess that's why beta testing exists.

Wwwwooooaaahhh, sarcasm, whats that?

I've seen far more people say this game is going to be bad because of this.  There will be USEABLE loot, just not equipable loot.  If you wanted some powerful item you can go get a crafter to make if for you.

Besides, I was making fun of the original poster, not you.

Oh, also, since you're going to pretend like I was specifically talking to you, you wouldn't really be able to camp a certain mob in this game from what I've read, since there are no set mobs in any area.  The monsters just walk around on thier own accord.

• SoultierSoultier Member Posts: 24
    i agree with most of the statement's even thou some should have been said a little more nicely. =P Evrybody has there own view. i personaly think that 1. if you like camping certain mob's for great items,runes etc. then no Horizons probly won't be your cup of Tea. 2. if you like crafting, interacting with other people on-line then yeah you may like Horizons.3. If you like soloing then Horizons may not be for you =P.

• livelyclivelyc Member Posts: 110
    the idea is original and i cant state my opinion till i see it  all laid out . Personally the idea seems to make community reliability big , making this game like an eq game ... community driven sooo ill be checking it out

This message has been brought to u by Death, the fulltime sponsor of the lively cadaver

This message has been brought to u by Death, the fulltime sponsor of the lively cadaver

• ChilledPenguinChilledPenguin Member Posts: 51

[edited]

• OmolOmol Member Posts: 332

You know if done right they could have the best of both worlds.See most other games that have crafting skills rely mainly on droppable loot and those that wish to actually take the time and do tradeskills get the shaft.

I will tell you up front that I think this idea sucks.Now take a moment and think about this.All they need to do is implement minor readily useable items on mobs and make the high end best weapons player crafted,while keeping other stuff for crafting on the mobs also.You can still foster a nice economy while giveing people the opertunity to get something readily worthwhile for their time without sitting around waiting for someone or yourself to get your tradeskills up there to get the awsome items.

It will take time for the individual or another person to get up there in skill,so why not give people minor items  that they can use off the bat until tradeskills get up there in lvl.Face it,you have to hunt/have items gathered.Then you must find someone (if you cant do it yourself) that has high enough skill to make something worthwhile that you can use.Now,not knowing how fast tradskills progress or how readily available componets are,I can only speculate that it will prolly be sometime before people can get tradeskills up and running.If it is this way I see it as a flaw,if not then it may actually work,but people shouldnt have to be forced to rely on tradeskills to get general items.(only the best weapons to be made by players)

Just my opinion tho.

----------------------------
    Omol da'Ox

• ChilledPenguinChilledPenguin Member Posts: 51

[edited]

• HairfootHairfoot Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by SogarGofin

Well you gota remember what the game will be like at release ~ Total chaos.

The world is completely destroyed, and we are all waking in a new land with one purpose in mind --push back the undead leagon and discover their secrets, or the long forgotten secrets of istaria. sw337 l3w7 isnt going to be the main focus of the game at launch (and hopefully, ever...) But with that being said, i think they will put some usable drops on enemies. Not many, but definately some. You can bet on it, too many people would complain.

Sogar Gofin

Who knows how it will work out?  All we know now is that Horizons got stellar reviews at E3 and that it will have a unique system of getting loot.  If that system was so awful then why would it be getting so much critical praise??  Do we really need another mmorpg that does everything like the last generation?  I for one am looking forward for the change. 

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Amen.

Enough is enough and its time for a change.  I for one am super glad that it's a step away from the mass cliche that most of these other games have turned out to be.

---------------------------------------
    You can't stop the bum rush
    www.mmorpg.com - staff

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• CassandraRCassandraR Member Posts: 29

This system will make crafting fun really. And its certainly a change from the norm so thats always good. Change is good, new things are good. More games need to break the mold and do new things to catch my attention. I played nearly every MMORPG out to date but cant really stay with any of them for very long. So im hoping some games actually do some radically different things. Quit whining you bunch of static bland people. ;)

• ShatterShatter Member Posts: 172
    I for one am excited about this game however the gold and items are  obtained.. I can't wait to own a house and a forge in it if possible and start smithing..

Formally Shatter Soullich of Terris Thule
    Recovering EQ addict.
    Waiting for Horizons.

• millbromillbro Member Posts: 71

Ok just to say from what im reading is that there will be no (Quick) reward for killing a monster as in gold and wpns or armor but u must take what u find in the world and on the monsters to make your wpns and armor and sell it to ppl that are doing the exact thing. They probly will have the same items as u and NOBODY will have 2 copper pieces to rup together!

Ahhh anyway are they saying it will be kinda like eq in the way u have alot of trouble beating monsters that are lower lvl than u cuz if your working on wpns and stuff not in a grp the monster will a) come and rape u! b) destroy your house! c) steal all your wpns lol! just saying that if your are not in a grp your helpless is dumb and u should be able to atleast defend yourself.... not like Diablo 2 where 1 guy can kill all! lol just a thought.

• TheoTheo Member Posts: 242

I think this sounds cool. If I want to play a game with mobs dropping loot, there's no shortage of them to choose from. I'd love to play a game that takes a different approach.

I like drops, but I'd like them a lot more if they made sense. If I slay an orc, I should be able to take whatever he has on him, like the armor I saw him wearing, or the sword he was using against me. He should be fully equipped just like any PC. In EQ, why do only SOME spiders have legs??? I could see if you made it a skill to "clean" the kill, but if not then I should be able to get what I see. I've never fought a spider without legs yet. Whatever drops should make sense. I don't want mobs dropping ore either. Why would an orc run around with ten pounds of ore in his pockets? I do like the idea of having them guard treasure though, so there could be ore in a box or something, and maybe a new maneuver could be to distract the guards while the rogue sneaks in and cleans out the horde.

Anyway, the more new things they try, the more options we all have. Sounds cool to me!

• redtigerredtiger Member Posts: 124
    it's never made that much sense that the amount and relative quality of loot on monsters was so high in so many games, but then it was just an accepted thing after awhile. The fact that Horizons' loot system is more balanced and closer to what you'd expect say a zombie to be carrying on it is good news to me. Besides, the crafting system in this game is pretty sophisticated so if you want to have some sort of uber weapon you should have to work a little harder to either find someone to make one for you or make it yourself. and ditto to what was said earlier...if you want to solo get yourself a single player game.

• TheoTheo Member Posts: 242

I like playing solo a lot of the time, but I like the unpredictability of being surrounded by player characters instead of scripted NPCs. I think there's room for both soloists and groups in the same world.

The player driven economies of some of the newer games coming out would seem to get even solo players to interact with other players on a regular basis, at least for trade. I don't think you should be required to group to make gains though.