Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some tech advice

SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278

I hooked my dell pc up to my 42" sanyo tv and when i try to play skyrim the tv gives me a message that its out of range and i gotta change the resolution but i have no idea what to set it to work on my tv.

my other question is about audio wiring from my samsung home sound system and hooking my pc together does anyone know what kind of wires i'd have to buy for this to work ?  its a older system with two pretty tall speakers,small speakers,center and sub-woofer.

PSN-SlyFox5679
Xfire-Slyfox5679
raptr-slygamer1979

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Here's a list of standard video resolutions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

More than likely your TV is either 1080p or 720p.1080p (or 1080i) translats to 1920 x 1080 monitor resolution also known as FHD. 1920 x 1200 or WUXGA would be out of range for your a 1080p tv. 720p translates to 1280 x 720 monitor resolutions. 720p does not translate to a standard computer monitor resolution. The closest monitor resolution the might work on a 720p TV is 800 x 600.

Since your speakers are probably not self powered you will need to run your PC sound through your current sound system's amplifier setup.  PC system's audio out > sound system's audio in.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    does your stereo have a pre-amp?  could be as easy as buying an instrument cable and a 1/8" adapter.  just use the headphone jack on you pc and plug the cable into the input on your stereo.
  • SlyGamer79SlyGamer79 Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by muffins89
    does your stereo have a pre-amp?  could be as easy as buying an instrument cable and a 1/8" adapter.  just use the headphone jack on you pc and plug the cable into the input on your stereo.

what's a pre-amp ? never heard of that 

PSN-SlyFox5679
    Xfire-Slyfox5679
    raptr-slygamer1979

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by SlyGamer79
    Originally posted by muffins89

what's a pre-amp ? never heard of that 

Most home systems have their pre-amplifiers and amplifiers in the same box. Sound fanatics and techs tend to separate them in the logic of the system and ignore which physical box they are in.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    720p is 1280x720 - it's as standard as 1080 is

Audio hookup depends greatly on your setup - usually any system will have RCA inputs (the 2 separate red and white plugs) and a 1/8" (headphone cable) to RCA cable will let you get sound from your computers Line Out or Headphone output to some input on your stereo.