Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Opinion about RYL

This game falls short for me in a lot of ways.

First, without a tutorial and being new player friendly...  this game loses you right away.

Secondly, the skills are almost non existant...

in a lot of rpg's, they give you skills automatically for your class...  RYL gives you the option to pick any skill, but with no predictable outcome in the end... since certain skills are required to make a class viable.

In RYL skills require a set amount of stats, and since most classes require a specific stat to be useful... I played a shadow off... so it was either str or dex for me...  certain int, wis, and con items or skills would never be used by me, and therefore are not choices.

The skills are things that you should just get in the first place...  Instead, they make you pay for them, to give you the feeling that you're choosing your skills.  Much like WoW does...  just a low budget way.

Since there's really nothing to choose from, you immediately realize this is just shoddy game design.

My shadow off, in order to be affective in pvp... requires top of the line backstab, and stealth.  Guess what other player activated ability he gets?  An ability to shoot a knife...  Oh boy, THREE abilities.

The class I saw with the most abilities had about 8 active abilities to choose from.  The rest are all passive, basically things the class should have already... but they let you "choose" it instead.

I'm sorry people... but Shadowbane has/had more options then this and everyone knows that's a failure... It's only a matter of time before everyone realizes how paper cutter this game is.

On top of that, the chat system is the worst I've ever had in any MMORPG.  The graphics aren't anything spectacular, the sound was decent but couldn't be turned off even after hitting the no sound button and restarting... 

if it wasn't for the smooth combat animations and the quickness from which you pace through levels *up until about level 30* this game wouldn't be anything...

The only reason to EVER play this game is if there wasn't a better pvp MMORPG out there, and if you were dieing for a community and just wanted to join any MMORPG to do so.

The siege warfare wasn't anything better then shadowbane, and the pvp was far worst...  the one thing I liked was the quest system and how it marked the spot on your map where you needed to go... but there were so FEW quests, and they weren't really revealing of much of the story content...

I honestly cannot see one thing about this game that other games don't do better other then the close combat system (which you really have no control over... it just does it's thing once you hold down the clicker)!

Comments

• ExpatriateExpatriate Member Posts: 202

ALL games fall short for me in a lot of ways.

These are valid points, but it's the best MMORPG out there right now, and having that quality of play playable on computers below 1 ghz is amazing.

Guild wars looks like the next interesting one, and I always appreciate any heads up on hot games--isn't that why we're here at MMORPG.com?

Things are always going to get better until we have the direct brain terminal and the games become indistinguishable from reality.

Watch the latest episode of "The Guild" and other Pwnage videos from around the net--also post your own: http://PwnerTV.com

• Psym0nPsym0n Member UncommonPosts: 283

woooooow.. that was a fine post my friend.. but dont forget to mention that the race/class combination sucked aswell.. when you take an Akkan, you play untill lvl 10 in like 1 or 2 hours because you always stay at the same strength... the mobs SLAY you like hell!!imageimage.. humans are ok in some ways..

And then there is the major lag of people setting up booths RIGHT in front of any NPC shop.. When i needed to get a new armor i needed to take me 2 hours off from my spare time to get there..

well that was my addition to your text..

• siLLYkiTEsiLLYkiTE Member Posts: 35

Just a quick thought.... in most games that give you skills... don't you usually just end up using the few most powerful skills you get from your givin skills? Like there's no point of using a skill if it only does 50 damage to a 10k hp person, right?

• Psym0nPsym0n Member UncommonPosts: 283
    I agree.. its no use at all... image
  • ExpatriateExpatriate Member Posts: 202

I disagree--the weaker skills/weapons use less MP, and sometimes that's all you need to finish off that monster.  If you use a more powerful weapon you may waste MP and not be able to start on the next monster as quickly.

It's a matter of using the power you need without wasting energy.  As an archer, for example, I usually fine tune it so I kill off the monster just before he starts hitting me or before he can get in too many hits so I can kill the biggest monster possible and get skill points as fast as possible.

I hit 'em with a combination of weapons at different ranges, firing arrows continuously the whole time, of course.

In a duel, though, it's something else.  Then you wanna hit 'em with everything you got and you're not worried about conserving MP.

Watch the latest episode of "The Guild" and other Pwnage videos from around the net--also post your own: http://PwnerTV.com

• jrunixz33jrunixz33 Member Posts: 1

I've seen and play the new version of RYL Path of the Emperor. It's really entertaining and more challenging... and i really enjoy playing this game.... It's better than RYL2  image

• jonsnow13jonsnow13 Member Posts: 67

the shops are just retarded.

Requiring people to sit down and plop themselves on the ground in order to sell things is the worst design idea I ever heard...

it came from lineage 2, which was by far (at launch) the worst GAME I had ever played.  Which... I'm not going to go into why here.  if you want me to, I'll go post a post about Lineage 2's flaws.

There are MUCH simpler ways to do a player based economy.  Look at horizons, it had by far the best player driven economy of it's time... your goods almost ALWAYS sold (at launch of game), so you weren't JUST selling the goods back to npc's, you were actually running a store basically...  It was a great feeling!

WoW's auction house is a no brainer, just steal their freakin design, are you too cheap to go buy wow for 50 bucks and go see their auction house and write down all the safety catchs they do to keep people from abusing it?

Why reinvent the wheel when it's already created...  and why the hell DO SO MANY PEOPLE PLAY LINEAGE 2 !!
    What's wrong with the world today?!

I was so disapointed with this game!  With it's easy combat click system, I was expecting a plausible next generation diablo 2!  That's what people loved about D2, the quick pace of combat... and the quick pace of leveling!  Darn game...  failed me!

• tronixz03tronixz03 Member Posts: 12
    My opinion about this game... hhmm... This game is really for the player's who's looking for the new set of environment that has no caves and portals!! image 
  • lun4ticlun4tic Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by jonsnow13

This game falls short for me in a lot of ways.
    First, without a tutorial and being new player friendly...  this game loses you right away.
    Secondly, the skills are almost non existant...
    in a lot of rpg's, they give you skills automatically for your class...  RYL gives you the option to pick any skill, but with no predictable outcome in the end... since certain skills are required to make a class viable.
    In RYL skills require a set amount of stats, and since most classes require a specific stat to be useful... I played a shadow off... so it was either str or dex for me...  certain int, wis, and con items or skills would never be used by me, and therefore are not choices.
    The skills are things that you should just get in the first place...  Instead, they make you pay for them, to give you the feeling that you're choosing your skills.  Much like WoW does...  just a low budget way.
    Since there's really nothing to choose from, you immediately realize this is just shoddy game design.
    My shadow off, in order to be affective in pvp... requires top of the line backstab, and stealth.  Guess what other player activated ability he gets?  An ability to shoot a knife...  Oh boy, THREE abilities.
    The class I saw with the most abilities had about 8 active abilities to choose from.  The rest are all passive, basically things the class should have already... but they let you "choose" it instead.
    I'm sorry people... but Shadowbane has/had more options then this and everyone knows that's a failure... It's only a matter of time before everyone realizes how paper cutter this game is.
    On top of that, the chat system is the worst I've ever had in any MMORPG.  The graphics aren't anything spectacular, the sound was decent but couldn't be turned off even after hitting the no sound button and restarting... 
    if it wasn't for the smooth combat animations and the quickness from which you pace through levels *up until about level 30* this game wouldn't be anything...
    The only reason to EVER play this game is if there wasn't a better pvp MMORPG out there, and if you were dieing for a community and just wanted to join any MMORPG to do so.
    The siege warfare wasn't anything better then shadowbane, and the pvp was far worst...  the one thing I liked was the quest system and how it marked the spot on your map where you needed to go... but there were so FEW quests, and they weren't really revealing of much of the story content...
    I honestly cannot see one thing about this game that other games don't do better other then the close combat system (which you really have no control over... it just does it's thing once you hold down the clicker)!

The tutorial is offered by an NPC on the docks once you begin a new player.

Skills nonexistant, and then you explain your skills? What are you smoking? By the way you explain them it looks like you glanced right over them without giving them a single thought. Players have several skills to choose from that can suit their build. Since this isn't crap on a golden platter like WoW, the skills get down to what they're needed for. You're not supposed to dance around throwing out useless and ugly skills like WoW. There's no time in PvP for it either, it's kill or be killed.

You should stop comparing this game to others. It really does nothing for your arguement and makes you look like an idiot. Different games for different people. The chat system is fine, you can turn off the channels you don't want to hear. Simple. The graphics are fine for an action game where lag will get you killed. If the graphics were better you'd be complaining that there is too much lag; is there no satisfying you goons? There's also no 'no sound button', I just thought I'd clue you in on that one. You can turn down or mute the ambient effects and the music. Both work properly.

Did you even experience any seige warfare? Guilds aren't currently setting up their forts because they don't want defending them to get in the way of leveling. So... yea... you weren't experiencing seige warfare, you're probably just tripping out on your own expectations and seeing crazy things. The quests are offered as you level so you aren't going to see the entire game at level thirty. I always thought that was common sense but I must be mistaken.

I love people who kill an ichmen and think they can comment on the entire game. Rank in around the top of your class like I have then tell us what you think. We may actually care if it isn't the same crap you've posted here.

The tutorial is offered by an NPC on the docks once you begin a new player.
    Skills nonexistant, and then you explain your skills? What are you smoking? By the way you explain them it looks like you glanced right over them without giving them a single thought. Players have several skills to choose from that can suit their build. Since this isn't crap on a golden platter like WoW, the skills get down to what they're needed for. You're not supposed to dance around throwing out useless and ugly skills like WoW. There's no time in PvP for it either, it's kill or be killed.
    You should stop comparing this game to others. It really does nothing for your arguement and makes you look like an idiot. Different games for different people. The chat system is fine, you can turn off the channels you don't want to hear. Simple. The graphics are fine for an action game where lag will get you killed. If the graphics were better you'd be complaining that there is too much lag; is there no satisfying you goons? There's also no 'no sound button', I just thought I'd clue you in on that one. You can turn down or mute the ambient effects and the music. Both work properly.
    Did you even experience any seige warfare? Guilds aren't currently setting up their forts because they don't want defending them to get in the way of leveling. So... yea... you weren't experiencing seige warfare, you're probably just tripping out on your own expectations and seeing crazy things. The quests are offered as you level so you aren't going to see the entire game at level thirty. I always thought that was common sense but I must be mistaken.
    I love people who kill an ichmen and think they can comment on the entire game. Rank in around the top of your class like I have then tell us what you think. We may actually care if it isn't the same crap you've posted here.

Wow man, you're really ignorant to be defending this game.  I compair it to other games because... well there's really nothing different then certain games... *cough* lineage 2  *cough* except the fighting system.  I can name everything this game has that another game does better.  Go ahead, name one aspect I will tell you another game that they got it from but didn't implement well.

Secondly, I did play past level 30.  I pvped, and pvp as a shadow was really easy in my opinion.  I only died a few times, of course i picked my battles well.  Since I payed for it already I am going to still play it every blue moon to get my money worth.  Of course, Guild wars beta just took up this whole weekend so I didn't play this last week.  The sad thing is, they don't even have a good role playing environment...

Next, the skill system IS A JOKE.  As a shadow, this is what I need : something that allows me to not get hit all the time because I'm a soft target.  Stealth, and backstab are a must since obviously it's the highlight of my class.  Going without my weapon masteries is fool hardy to say the least.  What else skill wise is there for me to get?  Do I still have skill points left over to get a skill adequately leveled?  Sure maybe one more... that still doesn't even compair to ANY other game EXCEPT lineage 2.  What strategy is it you're using again?  OH YA, click and attack... stealth and BACKSTAB!  W00T I'm l33t gamer dUde who thinks this games cool because I won because chance was on my side!

Here, let me make a program that you click and you gain points and then eventually it says you killed cool dude and you gain title, "Godly Player".

no actually you're probably too stupid and lazy to click it, so I'll just make it occur on login so you won't have to do anything and can tell all your buddies about it after you print the screen.

What's sad is, the developers knew this was a shoddy game.  That's why at release they had so few servers...  There was no need for more.  They knew that.  The game was just a cop out of an older game that they fixed up for a release in a different country to milk money.

• lun4ticlun4tic Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by jonsnow13
    Wow man, you're really ignorant to be defending this game.  I compair it to other games because... well there's really nothing different then certain games... *cough* lineage 2  *cough* except the fighting system.  I can name everything this game has that another game does better.  Go ahead, name one aspect I will tell you another game that they got it from but didn't implement well.
    Secondly, I did play past level 30.  I pvped, and pvp as a shadow was really easy in my opinion.  I only died a few times, of course i picked my battles well.  Since I payed for it already I am going to still play it every blue moon to get my money worth.  Of course, Guild wars beta just took up this whole weekend so I didn't play this last week.  The sad thing is, they don't even have a good role playing environment...
    Next, the skill system IS A JOKE.  As a shadow, this is what I need : something that allows me to not get hit all the time because I'm a soft target.  Stealth, and backstab are a must since obviously it's the highlight of my class.  Going without my weapon masteries is fool hardy to say the least.  What else skill wise is there for me to get?  Do I still have skill points left over to get a skill adequately leveled?  Sure maybe one more... that still doesn't even compair to ANY other game EXCEPT lineage 2.  What strategy is it you're using again?  OH YA, click and attack... stealth and BACKSTAB!  W00T I'm l33t gamer dUde who thinks this games cool because I won because chance was on my side!

Here, let me make a program that you click and you gain points and then eventually it says you killed cool dude and you gain title, "Godly Player".
    no actually you're probably too stupid and lazy to click it, so I'll just make it occur on login so you won't have to do anything and can tell all your buddies about it after you print the screen.
    What's sad is, the developers knew this was a shoddy game.  That's why at release they had so few servers...  There was no need for more.  They knew that.  The game was just a cop out of an older game that they fixed up for a release in a different country to milk money.

Ah yes, I'm ignorant. It's funny hearing that on an MMORPG.com forum, especially from somebody who thinks we really give half a shit about what he thinks of a game because he missed part of it and it isn't up to his standards.

This isn't World of Samecraft where everything takes a day and an age. You don't have a billion skills to choose from because you don't have a billion hours to use them in battle. Each class has its role, and nowhere in the Shadow Official description does it say their role is to bitch and moan in the worst forums on the internet. If you ever make it past thirty you'll realize how little time you have to execute your skills, and that having more of them would only make it worse.

Honestly, I'm with you on dagger throw. I played Shadow Off. for a bit in OB, and I didn't know what the hell it was supposed to do. Ill Wind was much more powerful because you didn't need to be standing behind the monster, and it had an AE effect to it. But trust me, I don't need any more skills to me 64 Warrior. I have 5 different skills, each up to level 4. Only two of them are active skills, but I seriously wouldn't have enough time to use them in battle.

Yes I know, and that's mainly because the combat is extremely quick, but  you don't really have any part of the initial normal attacks... they just go really fast.

Which limits strategy once again...  but looks extremely cool.

I think if I were you I'd get Guild Wars (on top of this game) and just give it a go for a week... then come back, and tell me if this games pvp matchs up with it. Then you'll come back and tell me that it doesn't  have siege warfare, and oepn ended combat.  Well then I'd tell you to go play shadowbane (don't diss it til you get to level 60 like you tell me here) and try the siege warfare in shadowbane, then come back and tell me if this game still holds up for you.

You'd be suprised when you give those two games a chance, that they beat this game in every way.  Don't diss it like you said, until you've played it to the max.  I'm not going to quit til I hit max...  so don't talk until you do the same ;)

• Dark_MageDark_Mage Member Posts: 35
    My opinion about RYL is that it is a fast level game. The skills are great especially the Dagger throw and the Forceful blow they are great if they reach level 3 to 4. And the roles like the Defender and the Warrior and the Assasin or the Archers are great. Even the monsters. I also liked their PvP modes cuz this is where you can really test your skills...

Been there, Done that!!!

• piithpiith Member Posts: 95

the game was easy to figure out, what tutorial would you need . .
    as for being able to select the skills you want what is wrong with that ?
    you can build your skills as you see fit .. course after time everyone will know which is best to use, and at that time we're right back to having a clone character game.

• buttybug04buttybug04 Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by piith

the game was easy to figure out, what tutorial would you need . .
    as for being able to select the skills you want what is wrong with that ?
    you can build your skills as you see fit .. course after time everyone will know which is best to use, and at that time we're right back to having a clone character game.

yeah.. I agree with you! this game is really easy to figure out! and it's up to you on how you will build your own character and develop the skill that character have...! image