Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do SV have a development team?

LinseshLinsesh Member Posts: 14

This is a bit of a strange thing to ask, but do Star Vault have a development team?

I might be a little late to the party here, but Mats left, didn't he? No posts on the new forum (which came in around May), last post before that was one in Jan and before that, Sep 2011. Up until Sep 2011, Mats was a prolific poster: several a week, often several a day - and very verbose posts, too. I found his LindekIn, which would not only seem to confirm his leaving, but shows his last involvement as March 2011? That date seems odd, given his forum activity.

I had a look on the forums to see what I could find about Mats.

Couple weeks ago:

Mats is crying here, it doesnt make sense, but then yeah its a game and sometime those doesnt make sense. We will see.

Few weeks ago:

A player caught by a "lost soul" or whatever Mats wants to call em would be instantly moved to the nearest priest just like if he was banished by a spell.

From May:

Mats is our game designer , and is not going anywhere he is just really busy

And that's it, pretty much. The last one is interesting, as he had joined a different company 4 months previously. The other two suggest an advisory role where Mats is no longer doing Game Design for SV, but still has 'creative' input (like George Lucas and Disney).

I don't doubt that Mats may help out when he can, but there is no evidence of official involvement for a long time. If he really is a Createive Director/ Game Designer elsewhere, he's probably doing 60+ hour weeks for them. That leaves Henrik and Seb, by my estimation. Also the Web Developer who helped set up their patching system and who, I assume, did all the Chronicles work.

One programmer, one web programmer and one - truthfully, I'm not sure what Henrik does. Surely I must be missing some other developers? 8-bit gaming was 25 years ago, you need more than a few programmers (especially so for a mmorpg). Even if Mats is still at SV, you need more than two monkeys and a designer.

Comments

• w4ffl3w4ffl3 Member Posts: 36

Well, we knew several months ago they were down to 3-4, so it doesn't surprise me too much that they're down to 2.  Paratus works with them too, but I think he lives in Canada or something?

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by w4ffl3

Well, we knew several months ago they were down to 3-4, so it doesn't surprise me too much that they're down to 2.  Paratus works with them too, but I think he lives in Canada or something?

I think thats one of the two "monkeys" OP has mentioned.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    I think they're outsourcing now.
  • FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132
    Somehow I can't imagine anyone getting into SV's noob-code.
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Judging by the forum activity (could be wrong here, I don't lurk the MO forums as much as I used to, the place is dead and boring nowadays), there are only three of them: Sebastian, Paratus and Henrik himself.

A pretty dire situation since none of them seems to be very skilled at what they do.