Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would be the point of PvP being one of the mega server options, if PvP only happens in a single

2»

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

I can see this having it's benefits but also it's flaws depending on how you like your MMOs. On one hand there's no server merging issue once the player base dies down, but there's instances of the same world so people can avoid PvP and hide, it also creates a lack of community by which I mean you may not see the same people again. One thing I like about MMOs is getting to know your enemies and allies.

From what I've read the world is just one big world with multiple instances of that world generated when needed, or maybe they are static in this case, otherwise how would sieges work? You take a castle only to have the instance you took it in disappear? Nah, they have to be static instances. Like Guild Wars 1 where you select what world etc.

Think I'd rather have multiple servers and one big seamless world to play on each server.

you will be selecting (as will the game with some back-end stuff) what pocket of the server you will play on.  it's not random ffa.  in pve you will be with the same people for the majority of the time.  you will be assigned to a server pocket.  moreso for pvp.  you will be assigned a 'campaign' which essentially a server pocket and you will fight with and against the same people for the duration of the characters life.  

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by ragz45
    I think "instanced" means different things to many different people.  Personally "instanced" to me means that I hit zone walls constantly and see loading screens.  ALA  EQ, TSW, GW2.   Other people may think instanced means that you are running multiple versions of the same zone on the same server.   IE 1 server, with 30 skyrim's running on it.

Yeah instanced to me means load screens like swtor, tsw, gw2. Non-instanced open world like WoW and RIFT.

I really don't care how you fit eveyone on the same servers be it overflow or multiple copies. I actually feel 1 server multiple copies works well when made is to meet up with friends, if you just can't fit everyone in the same space.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by muffins89

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2012/10/interview-brian-wheeler/

pvp megaserver info ^

Cool, thanks. I'm starting to get it ;)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by ragz45
    I think "instanced" means different things to many different people.  Personally "instanced" to me means that I hit zone walls constantly and see loading screens.  ALA  EQ, TSW, GW2.   Other people may think instanced means that you are running multiple versions of the same zone on the same server.   IE 1 server, with 30 skyrim's running on it.

Yeah instanced to me means load screens like swtor, tsw, gw2. Non-instanced open world like WoW and RIFT.

I really don't care how you fit eveyone on the same servers be it overflow or multiple copies. I actually feel 1 server multiple copies works well when made is to meet up with friends, if you just can't fit everyone in the same space.

they arent instancing for population reasons though.  they are instancing based on playstyle.  example:  i play on channel 3 beacause that is the "over 20 like to solo channel"  joe plays on channel 2 cause that is the "Role-play channel" mary play on channel 8 becuase that is the "under 18 channel". they arent constantly creating copies to meet population demand.  they are creating copies to accomidate people's play styles.  and with one sever you can switch whenever you want so you can play with whomevver you want. 

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

At this moment in time it is all speculation and would like too's. As things move on these will change considerably, they always do, usually in the not so good department or canned out.

Call me in a year or 2 when the game is mostly written. I wont waste my time on early speculations anymore.

• Won't all PvPers identify themselves to the game as PvErs so they get teleported into one an instance of the zone with a lot of PvE players they can gank?
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Axxar
    Won't all PvPers identify themselves to the game as PvErs so they get teleported into one an instance of the zone with a lot of PvE players they can gank?

You get locked to a campaign (as does your guild) so it shouldnt be that big an issue

If you get ganked that means you in the PvP zone (cyrodil) and If you enter the PvP zone ganking is to be expected. If you dont want to get ganked then stay in your factions area as there isnt any pvp there

• ShadowedMareShadowedMare Member Posts: 30

The Mega Server filters out players that do not match your playstyle and I assume will also overflow if there are too many people like you. For example, if you want to play Solo and you select that option in the game's questionaire it will do its best to filter out the people that like the group and so on. 

I don't think the server will ever completely remove a certain group of people, so if you select PvE the server won't remove every PvP person from your server. It may try to balance them based on your playstyle over time. So if you PvE 60% of the time and then PvP the other 40% it may try to find everyone with a 10% range of your preferences (if that makes sense) and put you all together. 

The Shadowed Mare - A Tavern North of Caldera and an Elder Scrolls Online Fansite and Forums.

• MentalEventMentalEvent Member Posts: 8
    I dont have problem with MEGA server or instancing as long as they dont split me from my friends and people who i chose to play with-certan groups (pvp,pve,rp and stuff). But i do have a problem not beeing able to enter other fraction zone and not beeing able to kill other player exept in Cyrodill thats just sad if u think of it as their concept of OPEN PVP sistem. Its like one big battleground and u can play only one map not like u que for one or another or something but its just one PVP zone, i dont like that. If they wanna make open pvp sistem alow players to kill each other where eva they desire to do so not just one zone -  if they join PVP group. 
    Originally posted by MentalEvent
    I dont have problem with MEGA server or instancing as long as they dont split me from my friends and people who i chose to play with-certan groups (pvp,pve,rp and stuff). But i do have a problem not beeing able to enter other fraction zone and not beeing able to kill other player exept in Cyrodill thats just sad if u think of it as their concept of OPEN PVP sistem. Its like one big battleground and u can play only one map not like u que for one or another or something but its just one PVP zone, i dont like that. If they wanna make open pvp sistem alow players to kill each other where eva they desire to do so not just one zone -  if they join PVP group. 

the zone is (slightly) larger that ES:IV Oblivian.  it's huge.  http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

it's not "like one big battleground" it's a big owpvp zone.  with quests,  towns, public dungeons,  siege warfare.  etc.

p.s.  oblivian is bigger than skyrim.

• MentalEventMentalEvent Member Posts: 8
    If i joined PVP group of people i wanna kill other players where eva i want not just Cyrodill. I simply dont like that concept (far from that i will not play ESO cos of that :) ) but still. And not to mention that i cant enter other fraction zones.... i mean why ?!  They said no instances but whole area of one race is a big instance in witch u cant enter if ur not in that pact/race. (atleast  thats what i understood correct me pleas if i am wrong - would love to hear that) And if u concider that all fractions must have same loot that means that they copyed 3 zones of 3 fractions and the u go PVE region and Cyrodill PVP region... whats up with WORLD PVP/OPEN PVP they mentioned ?
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Talk came out about the mega server and how it allow players to play with like minded players.

Things like PvP was mentioned to be an option.

but what good would playing on a mega server with people that like PvP, when there is only 1 zone for PvP? The rest of the world is PvE only, and can't even be crossed into by PvE characters of other races.

This is a comment we've seen a number of times now. The thing that seems to be forgotten by many is that TESO is a mainstream game, and with that mainstream game ideas are going to be used. Even if you choose to play in the megaserver phase for all of the pvp folks, there's going to be an option for hassle free pve. It's basically the EXACT same thing we saw in DAoC. It's simply how you attract the greatest number of players. Considering how many people place the ultimate value of a mmo in total number of players, you can't blame a company for trying to maximize potential customers.

With their phased shard system, you could in theory have a fully open pvp phase. However, considering the vast minority of players who enjoy that type of playstyle, you can also question whether Zenimax would even bother. Mythic had different rulesets for some servers (such as Mordred which was fully open PvP), and compared to the normal ruleset servers, the population was a drop in a bucket.

Who knows though, all of this speculation is pretty well pointless until we get more official information.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Don't forget the coop server with cross faction pve and no pvp.

Although I played mordred / prydwen depending on my mood "evil pvp sociopath" that I am.
  • pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

[quote] [i]Originally posted by baphamet[/i]   [quote] [i]Originally posted by ragz45[/i] [b]I think "instanced" means different things to many different people.  Personally "instanced" to me means that I hit zone walls constantly and see loading screens.  ALA  EQ, TSW, GW2.   Other people may think instanced means that you are running multiple versions of the same zone on the same server.   IE 1 server, with 30 skyrim's running on it.[/b] [/quote]   [b]"Instance Definition: A segment of gameplay in MMORPGs in which players form a group together and enter a special area in the game world, usually through some type of portal. They are then essentially cut off from the rest of the gamers in that only people who are in the group when the group passes through the portal will be able to enter the dungeon with them. Other groups may enter the dungeon, but will not encounter the first group, hence they are in a different INSTANCE of the same dungeon."[/b] [b][url=http://geekdictionary.computing.net/define/instance]http://geekdictionary.computing.net/define/instance[/url][/b] [b]that is what an instance is, EQ didn't have instancing until the LDON expansion.[/b] [b]what you are describing is non-seamless "zones" within a game world.[/b][/quote] 

instance its this phrase , just that rest it open world or copy of that open world, such as overflow in GW2 or channels on other mmo's,

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

it would have to have many instances since they said your actions affect the game world, They gave the werewolf invasion example where once you defeat them the villagers always like you and there are no more werewolves there. Though how a friend who wasn't part of that would fit in is beyond me, since they say they always put you where your friends or guildmates are. Sounds very complicated, and my experience is the more complicated the system is the mor bugs there are. I hope I am wrong, I suppose it is possible, though to do it - EVE has 1 server but each solar system is actually an instance and the load time is your jump to that system. Or so I have been told,

Currently bored with MMO's.