Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love their idea of progression.

itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

So I haven't quite gotten to the main section of Orr yet, been fooling around completing the lower zones however i noticed something very nice when it comes to the Champions and Veteran drops in the areas I've been in while level 80 in all MF gear and MF runes on with MF food buffs. I get a drop of level 74+ rare armor and weapons and I've noticed everytime i salvage one of those with my free kits i got from doing my personal storying i get Globs of Ectoplasm (one of the ingredients of Exotic Armor). Now I bought my armor set for my main already using in game currency i earned with selling the resources i gathered i no longer needed for my own crafting progression. What's great about this? I can continue to get the mats needed to make the set i need to make for my alt, and possibly another alt in the future. (still undecided about what my third would be)

This is GREAT! No other game has allowed me to solo progress to get the gear I wanted. None. No more waiting to login at a specific time for a chance in hell of getting a drop to fall for my toon while raiding, or having someone drop out of a pug raid because they waited more then 1 minute thirty seconds to complete a group, or having some guildie go balistic because he doesn't think people who are in the twentieth heroic for the day are doing enough dps to the bosses. It's so nice to be able to just log on and enjoy the immersion and the experience for once without feeling rushed.

Anyone else get that feeling from playing? (please reasonable replies only)

BTW I'm playing a thief and engineer so far, might just go with ranger because of the convenience of already having two crafting disciplines that would significantly improve my damage output and protection while leveling without any cost. (Huntsman, Leatherworker, Jeweler, Chef)

Comments

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

While it's a nice idea they made it to casual/easy to get gear.

I had full exotics within 3 days of getting 80 and I have one friend who already has 4 80s in full exotics. That just shouldn't be possible this soon after launch, even if he does play too much, gear progression shouldn't be that quick.

Also while solo progression is nice, group content and progression is one of the reasons I play MMOs. It builds community.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

It is a great. However like the previous guy said. It's just a little little little bit to easy.

Wish Legendaries gave just a smidgen better stats so it felt more worht. Oh well... almost got my Sunrise anyway.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

It is a great. However like the previous guy said. It's just a little little little bit to easy.

Wish Legendaries gave just a smidgen better stats so it felt more worht. Oh well... almost got my Sunrise anyway.

if it's too easy why would you need better stats?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

I had full exotics within 3 days of getting 80 and I have one friend who already has 4 80s in full exotics. That just shouldn't be possible this soon after launch, even if he does play too much, gear progression shouldn't be that quick.

Also while solo progression is nice, group content and progression is one of the reasons I play MMOs. It builds community.

GW2 isn't about gear progression and that's not a development oversight, it's deliberate and a nice change of pace from all the WOW-end game cloning that is done by every themepark. There is a grind there for those OCD people who must have thngs that are ridiculously hard to get in Legendaries...but they're just cosmetc and have no special stats beyond exotic. Not a real gear grind,

Anet wants the motivation to keep playing to be your enjoyment of SPvP or WvW--not gear progression obviously. Now, that may or may not keep you interested. But we all knew that the game was developed this way and that there would be no classic dungeon-crawling PvE end game with raids.

As to leveling speed... you may have something there. By giving exp for harvesting and crafting the progression is accelrated beyond what I expected. It probably is too quick and easy to get to 80.

And PS... grouping is not actually what builds communities, certainly not those overly dramatic PUGs, yuck! Staying around a game with the same friends and enemies for a good while is what does. This is why it seldom happens any more: people MMO hop too often for that to happen naturally

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Iselin

GW2 isn't about gear progression and that's not a development oversight, it's deliberate and a nice change of pace from all the WOW-end game cloning that is done by every themepark. There is a grind there for those OCD people who must have thngs that are ridiculously hard to get in Legendaries...but they're just cosmetc and have no special stats beyond exotic. Not a real gear grind,

Anet wants the motivation to keep playing to be your enjoyment of SPvP or WvW--not gear progression obviously. Now, that may or may not keep you interested. But we all knew that the game was developed this way and that there would be no classic dungeon-crawling PvE end game with raids.

As to leveling speed... you may have something there. By giving exp for harvesting and crafting the progression is accelrated beyond what I expected. It probably is too quick and easy to get to 80.

And PS... grouping is not actually what builds communities, certainly not those overly dramatic PUGs, yuck! Staying around a game with the same friends and enemies for a good while is what does. This is why it seldom happens any more: people MMO hop too often for that to happen naturally

No, not by itself but it does in part. The best community builder is interdependence and grouping is part of that.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

So a MMO which is about play as you want, you are telling us that Anet in the end wants to funnel us all into SPVP and W v W? what about PVE folks? you convenintely ignored them.

People love to make stuff up as they go. 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by itgrowls

So I haven't quite gotten to the main section of Orr yet, been fooling around completing the lower zones however i noticed something very nice when it comes to the Champions and Veteran drops in the areas I've been in while level 80 in all MF gear and MF runes on with MF food buffs. I get a drop of level 74+ rare armor and weapons and I've noticed everytime i salvage one of those with my free kits i got from doing my personal storying i get Globs of Ectoplasm (one of the ingredients of Exotic Armor). Now I bought my armor set for my main already using in game currency i earned with selling the resources i gathered i no longer needed for my own crafting progression. What's great about this? I can continue to get the mats needed to make the set i need to make for my alt, and possibly another alt in the future. (still undecided about what my third would be)

This is GREAT! No other game has allowed me to solo progress to get the gear I wanted. None. No more waiting to login at a specific time for a chance in hell of getting a drop to fall for my toon while raiding, or having someone drop out of a pug raid because they waited more then 1 minute thirty seconds to complete a group, or having some guildie go balistic because he doesn't think people who are in the twentieth heroic for the day are doing enough dps to the bosses. It's so nice to be able to just log on and enjoy the immersion and the experience for once without feeling rushed.

Anyone else get that feeling from playing? (please reasonable replies only)

BTW I'm playing a thief and engineer so far, might just go with ranger because of the convenience of already having two crafting disciplines that would significantly improve my damage output and protection while leveling without any cost. (Huntsman, Leatherworker, Jeweler, Chef)

Yup OP its one of the great things I love about GW2 myself.

Heres another one for you, while doing 100% map completion I have at least 3 staacks of 250 crafting materials waiting for my Alt to level via crafting.  As it stands now I should be able to get my thief to 30 the regular way then craft till he is 80.  Once I hit 80 on my Thief alt, I'll have at least 20+ Jugs of Pure Karma which is minumum of 2 pieces of 80 exotic Karma Gear.  I think once I hit 30, it will take me ab out 1 day to get to 80 and full exotic on my thief, and be ready for WvW.  Lovely situation IMO.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• NavekNavek Member UncommonPosts: 71

I play now mainly for W v W, and I agree this is a major motivation for a lot of players, but to keep those people "on side" the multiple hacks that infest  it need to be adressed. Google GW2 hacks and see how many come up, its sad really.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

To the OP: you should have played AC1 - I'd bet you'd have loved it back then - it was very similar to GW2 gear progression wise, no need to raid, group, or do specific tasks to get the "best" gear of the game, all play styles where viable.

And don't listent to the "experts" - grouping to bash mobs is definitely not what makes good communities. It's actually the lowest form of interaction in a MMORPG, (ab)use others to get gear. AC1 didn't have forced grouping yet it's still one of the best communities I have known in my 17+ years of playing the graphical version of those games.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    im glad everyone is enjoying the game. I like the idea as well :D
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I quit at full rares as I didn't see the point in full exotics with minor increases.  But if I spent my gold on exotics rather than gems I'd probably be full by now. 

I think progression in this game is totally borked.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Raiding is definitely the ultimate social interaction in online games...

http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=424

As usually, Gianna nailed it perfectly... =P

EDIT: fixed the link

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

No.  Emergent game-play (social) opportunities build community.   Avenues for social interaction, like guilds, build communities.

Don't put those in your MMO, it doesn't matter how many forced grouping and cheeze-*** raids you throw in, except for the hard-core raid addicts (a vocal, but tiny portion of the MMO population), people will move on.     I've seen it tons of times.   The concept has been written-up by Bartle, Koster, Yee and a ton of other professional game design consultants.

Same goes for the silly-billy hardcore PvPers and their lack of understanding of MMOs.   It's really not all about PvP.  In fact, you can pretty much skip large-scale PvP in an MMO.   It's close to a complete resource-sink as only a tiny-fraction of the players will ever do it and most of them move on seeking a new 'combat high' with every MMO and shooter release...

In the end, MMOs are, and will always be, SOCIALLY-driven games via voluntary association.