Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disney buys Lucasfilm/Lucasarts

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Hot+List/Disney+%28DIS%29+to+Acquire+Lucasfilm+in+%244.05B+Deal/7828440.html

I stand corrected now Lucasarts was accquired as well.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by BruceYee
    Originally posted by Warjin
    Originally posted by BruceYee
    Disney was the worst company that could've bought it imo. Expect all ages(G Rating or at most PG) movies. I think ol' George is finally getting his revenge for all his loyal fans being "mean" to him.

Marverls Avengers? yes that was Disney.  Disney will never make a R rated move but they sure as hell know how to make some kick ass rated PG movies., besides no Star Wars move was ever rated R, Disney is the best choice IMO, they are the Masters of fantasy hands down.

You are right, my bad. I was blinded by hate imagining the High School Musical cast in the Star Wars Universe. It also slipped my mind that Disney made Tron Legacy, I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff Bridges as a jedi master and maybe Olivia Wilde as a padawan ::drool::

^ this very much people underestimate what disney can do it really just needs good director/writer driving this thing and it will be amazing

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    If you thought Sony was evil , you haven't seen anything yet. If they move into the gaming business watchout.

• epf1epf1 Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by firefly2003
    Originally posted by AdamTM

Story is here:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-creator/

What does this mean for SWTOR?

Prospects for SWG reboot?

From the news articles I read Lucasarts was not among the accquistions bought by Disney

LucasArts is a division of LucasFilm, so yes it was part of the deal! From what I've seen in the news Disney owns (will own) the entire Star wars franchise.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

If George Lucas, operating LucasFilm himself, gave us JarJar Binks, I shudder to think what Disney will give us.  Unless it has minions in it.  Then it'll be a slam-freaking-dunk.

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 274

I think that it will be a good thing for everyone.  From what I have been reading over at the SWTOR forum about it.  Episode 7 (due out 2015) followed every 2 or 3 years with Episodes 8 and 9.  I hope that these will be live actor  movies and not anime.

As for a SWG2, that may now be possible if you truely want it and let Disney know.  Best idea to get it made would be as a tie in with Epsiodes 7, 8 and 9.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    If the new SW movies are as good as the all the Avengers movies have been (The Avengers, Thor, Iron Man, Capt. America) then this could be a very good thing.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by Ginaz
    If the new SW movies are as good as the all the Avengers movies have been (The Avengers, Thor, Iron Man, Capt. America) then this could be a very good thing.

very much agreed think many don't realize The Avengers is a disney film... this level of humor and action would be amazing for a star wars movie

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    It means star wars is going to turn into a kid IP.

Lucas himself already did that.....

What it will probably turn into is a new movie every 2-3 years ad infinitum, ad nauseum.  That's what Disney does.  It oversaturates the market with it's offerings.  Pulls them for a little while when sales start to go down, and then rehashes them in slightly new formats.

And we just keep on biting that poison bait.

You'll still buy two copies and the collectors edition.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk
    If you thought Sony was evil , you haven't seen anything yet. If they move into the gaming business watchout.

they were in games, last I recall it was Tron: eveloution and turok were both published by Disney.  Turok developed by multiple studios, threewave and propoganda, propoganda being owned by disney and Tron developed Propoganda games. 

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976
    Disney has Marvel which has resulted in some decent entertainment. Don't they have MGM as well? Lucas Arts/Films just seems like it would be another brand with its own target audience. Its a bit early to think Disney will make it any more of a kid IP then we've seen under Lucas. I'm optimistic for now :)

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Well in all reality I know some people may not want a Disney Star Wars connection but I would love to see a pissed off Doanld weilding a lightsaber as he is tempted by the darkside.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Disney has just confirmed that it has agreed to acquire George LucasLucasfilm Ltd, and that includes rights to the Star Wars franchise that will now continue on. The companies have targeted a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode 7, with Episode 8 and Episode 9 to follow as the the long-term plan is to release a new feature every two or three years. “The last Star Wars movie release was 2005’s Revenge Of The Sith – and we believe there’s substantial pent-up demand”, Disney said. The deal also includes rights to the Indiana Jones franchise.

So Indiana Jones is a part of the deal. Who will play Indy??????

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Aerowyn

very much agreed think many don't realize The Avengers is a disney film... this level of humor and action would be amazing for a star wars movie

It be great to see Robert Downey Jr. as Han Solo type character or Scarlett Johanson as maybe a sexy Sith, like Darth Talon.image

imageimage

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Disney has just confirmed that it has agreed to acquire George LucasLucasfilm Ltd, and that includes rights to the Star Wars franchise that will now continue on. The companies have targeted a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode 7, with Episode 8 and Episode 9 to follow as the the long-term plan is to release a new feature every two or three years. “The last Star Wars movie release was 2005’s Revenge Of The Sith – and we believe there’s substantial pent-up demand”, Disney said. The deal also includes rights to the Indiana Jones franchise.

So Indiana Jones is a part of the deal. Who will play Indy??????

well if they go by the last one LaBeouf will continue on the legacy as his son.. we will see

Originally posted by Aerowyn

It be great to see Robert Downey Jr. as Han Solo type character or Scarlett Johanson as maybe a sexy Sith, like Darth Talon.image

imageimage

scarlet was great in avengers so i would aprove:) and downey jr can be great in anything

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by moguy2

Its a building block for the future to come. Us old timers will cherish what we remember. Disney will give the next generation something that they think they will cherish.

Its kind of sad actually. Like an era turned over to toon ville. =(

I don't agree. I watched episode 4 in the theatre as a 9 year old and I am so glad that Disney got it instead of some company that would have ruined it. Besides, Lucas knows it too or he wouldn't have trusted them with it.

I am just glad Lucas didn't decide to mothball it for prosperity's sake.

• BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52
    This could be eighter good or bad. Since its Disney I fear that bad, could be JarJar Binks bad.

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They can't do any worse for it than Lucas himself has recently.
    Originally posted by necoo
    Technically they only bought Lucasfilms, not Lucasarts. As far as I know, nothing will change with any of the Star Wars games, they are outside of Disney's influence.

From what I have been reading such as AP and Yahoo Finance.

Disney is paying $4.05 billion to buy Lucasfilm Ltd, and all sub units including Lucasfilm's prized high-tech production companies, Industral Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound as well as rights to both Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.

Over at SWTOR forum it is looking like the new movies will be based on Heirs of the Empire series with Luke turning his light saber over to a new generation in Episode 9 if there is any trueth in what they are saying.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Hey, Disney could have Joss Whedon or the Pixar guys direct, have Warren Spector in charge of the games, get writers like Zahn, Allston, and Stackpole as Screenwriters....

Any of these would be better than the creatively bankrupt Lucas and his band of merry yes men.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    It means nothing for SWTOR. They bought Lucas Arts for the name and genre. Swtor is owned by Bioware(or whatever it is called now), through and through. They may invest more $ into it to keep up the name, or they may simply bring up their own MMO, which a doubt to the fullest. It was the name. Nothing at all else.
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    It means nothing for SWTOR. They bought Lucas Arts for the name and genre. Swtor is owned by Bioware(or whatever it is called now), through and through. They may invest more $ into it to keep up the name, or they may simply bring up their own MMO, which a doubt to the fullest. It was the name. Nothing at all else.

Yes King,  but it also means that EA/Bioware must pay Dinsey for the rights to use the Star Wars name from now on and Dinsey can tell them what to do with the game including to close it down if they do not meet Dinsey's requirments for the game.

• Originally posted by Acornia

Yes King,  but it also means that EA/Bioware must pay Dinsey for the rights to use the Star Wars name from now on and Dinsey can tell them what to do with the game including to close it down if they do not meet Dinsey's requirments for the game.

i doubt they can just change the way the contract is set up. normally the prior contracts are carried over, and all agreements are grandfathered into any new contracts. i'm talking life long commitments to the developers. there would be way too much risk to get involved without it.

• KertKert Member UncommonPosts: 71

I Disagree. With a deal this big, there is usually some changes. I beleive the prior arrangement had EAware licensing the IP from Lucas. Which is now Disney. So....

Not that it's likely, but Disney could just pull the plug on the agreement. There may even be some type of clause in the purchase deal allowing Disney to re-evaluate current on-going contracts.

Again, it's unlikely to happen though, and I'm sure someone will eventually find out what their plans are for SW:TOR. 

I'd like to think this sale will make EA take notice, as I'm going to bet Disney's version of LucasArts might be a bit more hands on. Disney is a juggernaut now, with some ridiculously popular IP's under their belt. Running the MMO into the ground may not be looked on too favorably.

Hell with all the rumors of EA's troubles, maybe Disney will buy them too.