Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you seen any Roleplayer groups in GW2?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

How do they operate in this game that's unique and different from roleplaying groups in other games?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I haven't seen any. But I'm not a role player.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Have you seen any Roleplayer groups in GW2? How do they operate in this game that's unique and different from roleplaying groups in other games?

There was plenty on my server especially in Lions Arche but compared to lotro Laurelin server it really does not compare. A good rp exeriance needs to happen on a server with rp rules even lotro has an America player made RP server but no rules are enforced.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I thought I was role-playing with my character, when I play the game. Is there a manual on how to do that? What is the difference?

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by botrytis
    I thought I was role-playing with my character, when I play the game. Is there a manual on how to do that? What is the difference?

Google it I suppose.

The real hard core rp'ers usually talk the talk, follow the lore to the letter, etc. There is no speaking out of character unless in certain channels of chat if absolutely needed. While you are "roleplaying" any time you play a character in a game, they take it to another level. 

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I did see one group a few days ago on my server Tarnished Coast.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

How do they operate in this game that's unique and different from roleplaying groups in other games?

Just look around, they have got to be all over the place, the game got 8.4 on Role playing.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Are you sure RP'ers still exist outside of taverns and private lusty ERP whispers between secretly really fat people loitering their pixels in the back rooms? You know, like in LOTRO and Booty Bay in WOW? Old school RP is dead cause its really hard for the social tweet minded. Like watching a movie without being able to text message is really hard now a days... O.o
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    There is actually quite some roleplaying on my server, i am even in an alt rp guild, its great fun. But then piken is the unofficial EU RP server.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172

I'm on Tarnished Coast which is known as an unofficial roleplay server.   The majority of players on this server are not openly roleplaying most of the time.  That being said, I've grouped with roleplayers while in WvW and had a blast listening to them act as their characters would while fighting the enemy and doing other regular WvW activities.  They've inspired me at times to get "In Character" too while on the battlefield.

I've also come across plenty of roleplayers in remote PvE areas speaking and emoting in character.    In general, non-roleplayers are quite respectful of roleplay on this server. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

All over the place! I'm on tarnished coast and they seem to be everywhere of all levels. I was finishing level 45-55 zones today and in every zone located in towns and camps all over the place i kept seeing long typing in the Say channel sure enough it was the RPer's :) 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I've been in roleplaying groups. As has been said before, Tarnished Coast has a sizeable roleplaying community.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

It just wasn't designed to RP in.  Hard to explain why the races and classes you battle are the same as yours.  Imagine if Lord of the Rings was written about the Hobbits being at war with the elves who sided with other hobbits who sided with other elves.  Just nonsense, really, and not at all epic. 

This is just a video game with the popular MMO title because like Neverwinter Nights, you can log a bunch of folks in to play together.  But this title is a far cry from any mmo concept that first played out when the industry competed with creativity as opposed to salesmanship.

RP should be built into the game - there are a number of ways to do this.  Forcing the few RP'ers who desperately want RP in a video game should not condemn them to wear blinders in order to pretend away the anti RP elements. 

Folks used to RP on Moonguard in WoW all the time - but the second I saw a human female do the macarena with an Orc who was doing the MC Hammer dance (Goldshire lol) next to a male nightelf who was doing Michael Jackson moves...well...rp died that moment for me.  Most folks just pretend away when it comes to this stuff, however.  You just might find some people who have come up with an answer to every broken RP posssibility in GW2.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    I have seen a few on Aspenwood server maybe 15 to 20 but in different areas one group was playing out during an event with a caravan arguing about how the merchant is not paying them enough to group them to then next area it was quite cool to see. I seen another group rping in a open dungeon that was quite funny when they got to the chest at the end and they asked the thief to check it for traps. But yeah seen some around DR and in LA before Halloween.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by nolic1
    I have seen a few on Aspenwood server maybe 15 to 20 but in different areas one group was playing out during an event with a caravan arguing about how the merchant is not paying them enough to group them to then next area it was quite cool to see. I seen another group rping in a open dungeon that was quite funny when they got to the chest at the end and they asked the thief to check it for traps. But yeah seen some around DR and in LA before Halloween.

Well, gaming gods bless them for their imagination :)

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Not that I've noticed really. Since there is no official RP server, it's not something I'm looking for or even paying attention to.

imageimage
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I dunno how unique roleplayers act in GW2, RPers are RPers. The largest difference I seen is that they can be in larger groups in the gameworld than in most other games.

The game do still miss a few basic features for RPers, particularly the guildhalls that hopefully will be released with the first expansion but most of them are in and working.