Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Controller?

fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208
My girlfriend wants to use a controller to play pc games with me (I know that mouse + keyboard is way better, but these are certainly baby steps in the right direction).  I realize that my PS3 controller has a USB connection, so I hooked it up.  It doesn't work simply by plugging it in and I found a program to help me... we program the buttons on the controller.  After battling with it for hours, I have it semi-working (playing Vanguard btw).  So my question is this, if I actually go out and buy a controller specifically made for PC, will it be way easier to get up and running?  Are most of my problems simply trying to get a PS3 controller to work on the PC?  I don't mind programming a controller if it's simple (such as make the red controller button be the 'c' key on the keyboard keybinding type of thing).    Does anyone have much experience with using controllers on PC?  Are there some games that are controller compatible and some that arent?  Any advice will be much appreciated.  Ideally I'm looking for a controller that's virtually plug and play, if it exists.  Someone please help me!!!

Me

image

Her

image

Comments

  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by fivetigers
    My girlfriend wants to use a controller to play pc games with me (I know that mouse + keyboard is way better, but these are certainly baby steps in the right direction).  I realize that my PS3 controller has a USB connection, so I hooked it up.  It doesn't work simply by plugging it in and I found a program to help me... we program the buttons on the controller.  After battling with it for hours, I have it semi-working (playing Vanguard btw).  So my question is this, if I actually go out and buy a controller specifically made for PC, will it be way easier to get up and running?  Are most of my problems simply trying to get a PS3 controller to work on the PC?  I don't mind programming a controller if it's simple (such as make the red controller button be the 'c' key on the keyboard keybinding type of thing).    Does anyone have much experience with using controllers on PC?  Are there some games that are controller compatible and some that arent?  Any advice will be much appreciated.  Ideally I'm looking for a controller that's virtually plug and play, if it exists.  Someone please help me!!!

    Yes, controllers made for PC tend to work better on PC. Most of them have software that lets you set it up fairly easy. Keep in mind though that many PC games that are designed to work decent with a controller will auto detect a 360 controller. I personally have a Razer Onza TE controller that is superb. Nice mechanical buttons on a 360 controller with a bit of reprogramabillity for the extra bumpers. 

     

    Plug and play for PC = 360 controllers, even the wireless ones will work if you get the adapter. 

  • fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208

    Thanks a ton.  Do you know if they'll work on older games?  I know the new edition of the old Baldur's Gate game is coming out next month and we were planning on playing that.

     

    When you say a 360 controller, do you mean literally buying a XBox 360 controller and plugging that in?

     

    What was the adapter you were talking about?

     

    Would you say your Razer Onza TE is better than a 360 controller?  I don't mind spending a little money.  Thanks again.

    Me

    image

    Her

    image
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by fivetigers

    Thanks a ton.  Do you know if they'll work on older games?  I know the new edition of the old Baldur's Gate game is coming out next month and we were planning on playing that.

     

    When you say a 360 controller, do you mean literally buying a XBox 360 controller and plugging that in?

     

    What was the adapter you were talking about?

     

    Would you say your Razer Onza TE is better than a 360 controller?  I don't mind spending a little money.  Thanks again.

    Yes I mean actually buying an Xbox 360 wired controller. Most games that work with controllers will auto detect it. As for older games you may need to get keymapper software which is every where.  

    The adapter I was speaking of is ....   http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000HZFCT2

    It's an Xbox 360 wireless adapter for PC which allows you to use wireless 360 controllers. 

     

     The Onza is better by a large degree but it requires you to actually take care of it. It's not as durrable as a 360 controller which you could throw on the floor and still be able to use lol. 

     

    http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-controllers/razer-onza-tournament-edition

    More buttons, better Dpad, Mechanical Keys, extra long braided cable, and it works very well on both PC and 360. 

    Chat pad will not fit the Onza but you can use your 360 headsets. 

     

    For older games keymappers can be used. 

    Xfire has Switchblade which is software that lets you use the 360 controller to play PC games. 

    Xpadder is another good one for older games. 

     

     

     

     

  • fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Thanks dude.  You're awesome.

    Me

    image

    Her

    image
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,061

    XBox 360 Wired USB is as plug and play as it gets. The wireless ones work too, but require the special wireless adapter (someone linked it earlier).

    You ~can~ get a PS3 one to work, but there are no official drivers (why on earth I have no idea, especially since DCUO), and the support is hit or miss.

  • XendrellXendrell Member UncommonPosts: 11

    I'd peronally reccomend the Logitech F710

    My brother an I both got ours a few months ago and they work great.

    Everything that has controller support works perfectly and it doesn't draw much power from the batteries

    We had the duracells that came with them for about 2 and a half months before they needed to be replaced.

    And with the Logitech Profiler you can map keybinds and the mouse (Movement and clicks) to it too.

    And also..Most games don't have controller support. You'd pretty much have to map it. But you get the software to do so with the controller.

  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

    There is one for PS3 aswell called Motionjoy. i am planning to use it for the TSW reticle combat when its released.

     

    Google it and there will be where to download and instructions on how to set it up.

    Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

    XBox 360 Wired USB is as plug and play as it gets. The wireless ones work too, but require the special wireless adapter (someone linked it earlier).

    You ~can~ get a PS3 one to work, but there are no official drivers (why on earth I have no idea, especially since DCUO), and the support is hit or miss.

     

     

    Rofl there are no drivers because Microsoft has probubly told them NO a million times.

    Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

  • SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

    I recommend the xbox 360 wired controller too, and for key programming you have xpadder who is great for this.

    http://xpadder.com/

  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,569
    Don't know if this has been stated but a PS3 controller with a usb plug does in fact work on the PC. You just have to install the DS3 tool or any driver like that. I use DS3 and it works great, basically it can emulate a PS1, 2, 2 with dual shock, ps3, or 360 controller with your ps3 controller. So if something works with the 360 setup, and you only have a ps3 controller, put it on the 360 setting and it will auto detect buttons and things like that. Works wonders.
  • BeegsBeegs Member Posts: 107

    Ill also say that the PS3 controller works just fine using the DS3 tool. I have mine set to xbox360 emulation and its worked fine in every game ive tried. Ive got a 360 aswell but both the controllers for it are wireless so i was loathe to have to buy a wired one or a bluetooth dongle - luckily i found the DS3 tool and it works just fine. As it happens i actually prefer the ps3 controller anyway.

    Id check it out - it certainly works.

    r.i.p. c!

Sign In or Register to comment.