Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP explained

TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205

Well........Im a pvper, all i do is PVP in most games......In fact im a top pvper in almost any game i play.........but I have a question about the pvp in this game.......

First off, The graphics are sick (im all about conspiricy theorys so its right up my ally)...

Second, I dont wanna hear how horrible the pvp is, I understand its might not be the greatest to some people but a sandbox to a pvp is heaven...

So anyway....I played sandbox's in the past, They are my game of choice......but how does the pvp work in this game?????

Im the type of person to not wanna waste tons of points on something im not going to use.....but it seems like its hard to plan out what you would like to play in pvp just by description....

Im sure if i played for months ide understand how everything works but like i said i hate wasting points on skills that i know nothing about.....

This game is different....its not like ( A. hits your for this much and does this much dammage) its more about skills building up other skills? i think...

Anyway can someone explain how pvp works?

I actually stopped playing because I need a path (or at least a hint) on how it works......

BTW i wanna use an AR and maybe blood magic or elemental.......Anyway like i said lvling up (i hate pve) without knowing if your spending your points the right way made me quit in the first place.......any help would be awsome...

thanks in advance 

Comments

• erinyserinys Member UncommonPosts: 395

you are the top pvper in most mmo's but cant figure out a pvp build or how pvp works ion TSW?

lol, go dreaming dude!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Not really sure what you're looking for here, tbh. Especially since it sounds like you already played the game?

PvP works very much the same as any other TAB-targetting MMO. You have damage oriented skills, heals, CC, and defensive skills. The only real difference is that you don't have specifical classes, but the traditional roles still exist.

As far as skills building up other skills, it really comes down to your passives. Passives generally cause your skills to gain bonus' effects based on certain states your target is in. I.E. More crit against afflicted, or more damage against weakened targets. etc.

If you've played any scenario-heavy PvP MMO, this game isn't much different other than the setting.

Side note: As to wasting points. It's best to focus on a role from the start (i.e. AR DPS in your case) and build skills around that idea that will make you as efficient as you think you can be. Once you have that core role bought & paid for, you can begin to experiment with other roles without feeling like you completely screwed up.

For me, I started with a focus in Elementalism, and developed secondary points into Blood Magic. This game me a few strong offensive skills, as well as some variety in my builds. From there I started working on Shotgun skills, for an AoE grifter spec. After that I basically just spent points how I felt like it, because it didn't really matter at that point. I could fit a DPS / support role however I needed to, and I didn't have the right gear to even begin to attempt tanking or healing, so I didn't bother.

I haven't played TSW in a while, but I would say if PvP is your focus, AR is generally the easier way to go. AR's have the best range, really strong dmg output, and PvP is mostly team-oriented, so you can hide in the back picking off targets.

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Thanks aesperus for the reply, that explains alot....just wondering why did you stop playing?
  • ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

In general, there is no "i win" build. There are always builds that counter other builds... ;)

But ofcourse you can never go wrong with more hp, some hit rating, ability to move around alot, and ofcourse be willing to change build when you face situations where your build doesnt work at all.

The best part about the pvp here is the ability to completely change role and gear going from a dps based to tanking to healing, or a mix between it all based on your personal preferences.

There are some interesting changes on its way according to Funcom developers for pvp as well....

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    TSW is a sandbox? That's news to me, and everyone else I expect.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

The new game lead has talked about pvp being a pet project for him in the near future. Currently (as stolen from crygaia):

PvP in TSW consists of three zones:

• Stonehenge is a small battlefield with ‘king of the kill’ style gameplay
    • El Dorado is a medium-sized battlefield with ‘capture the flag’ style gameplay
    • Fusang Projects is a large persistent warzone with multiple objectives

Expect largtest changes in Fusang with tweaks elsewhere as far as maps go. I would imagine we would see a Tokyo addition for pvp as well. All I have really heard from him is that he wants to awaken the conflict between the factions as it isn't represented well in game atm. This sounds as if they may tie pve more into pvp along with story as they do that very well.

Personally I avoid pvp atm until I start seeing some changes and because I am very casually playing and mostly for the story as I progress through.

You stay sassy!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Talketzanto
    Thanks aesperus for the reply, that explains alot....just wondering why did you stop playing?

I stopped playing for the following reasons. (keep in mind this is my own personal experience, so take that as it is)

1) My main attraction to this game was the dungeons & atmosphere. The story got kinda stale by the end of the game & lacked cohesion. You often drop one plotline and pickup another without any real resolve.

2) The dungeons, while I really enjoyed them at first, quickly turned into a gear-score heavy geargrind, which is something I absolutely hate. The game does support a certain degree of skilled play, but people still just focus on whether or not you meet some arbitrary number. Really dissapointing.

3) PvP. This is a big one for me.

However, PvP basically turned into the following. Fusang is pointless. It's basetrading for tokens at an absurd lvl. Having 3 factions doesn't change that at all, it's just a giant merry-go-round. I was even getting told to 'shutup' in faction chat, when I asked why we were letting the enemy teams capture out bases. The response was 'well cap it back later when they're done, just focus on the tokens'. Really dissapointing.

The battlegrounds, I started to get excited for. I had some fun in Stonehenge & El Dorado. However, they never Que. The Q timers were atrocious. I got tired of waiting most nights. They also have a Q system based on whether you are a 'tank, healer, or dps'. What that led to was people specced as 'healer' and then switching to 'dps' just to get faster Ques. I don't know if that's ever been fixed but it was infuriating to see happening over and over again.

- Another thing that kind of bugged me, is inspite of the amount of customization you got w/ the skill wheel, it didn't translate very well into PvP. There wasn't much in the way of strategy & counters. It was all spike DPS, and chain CC, with a few odd-people playing super meatshield or heal spammer. The combat just got stale fairly quick. I'd often try and experiment with my own builds just to change things up, but it didn't add much to the experience.

Needless to say, the game had it's charms, but I just found it hard to justify paying a subscription for such a game. If it ever changed to a F2P or B2P model I'd probably give it another go.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tsw IS NOT A SANDBOX

It has a skill system that is like many sandbox games.
    Everything else in the game is themepark.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    How does pvp work in TSW?? It doesn't...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Anyway there's 4 effective ways to play imo

Heal weapon + tank weapon, wear tank uniform, use 50/50 heal / tank gear, slot aoe heals, tanking buffs & anti cc. Mix of tanking bonus passives and heal triggers.

Pure spike rdps, POP from nowhere, try kill 2 people before you die.

Reflection "tank", get the sword damage reflections and passives, get in the faces of players

Range cc, go heavy in blood, get all its impairs and impair related passives. Pair with blades or fists (mostly for impair passives)