Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Halloween skins are on the TP!!

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Vhaln

You keep saying they're supposed to be rare, but that's where we just simply disagree.  I don't think most holiday event items should be rare, at all.

most are not only about 4 skins are actually pretty rare rest are not

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

You keep saying they're supposed to be rare, but that's where we just simply disagree.  I don't think most holiday event items should be rare, at all.

and your definition of "rare" must be different than mine, too.. Or do most people have a couple of these event items, and I'm the only who doesn't? I got the backslot reward for the first part of the quest, at least, though.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

and your definition of "rare" must be different than mine, too.. Or do most people have a couple of these event items, and I'm the only who doesn't? I got the backslot reward for the first part of the quest, at least, though.

just look on the TP at the prices when you see over 100 of a skin with a price under a gold it's hardly considered "rare".. do a search for "deathly" see what you get

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Checked in-game first, and ok, you mean the shoulderpads.  They do seem to have come down even further.  1.5 gold, at most.  I'm inclined to think people must not care about the shoulderpads, for some reason, but I don't know.  It could just be because they're shoulder armor, and not something more visible?  Or maybe people are still just upset because they didn't think the holiday event would be about camping the trading post?  Or are people just that deadset on the 2h weapons?

I don't have enough info, honestly.  I don't think its as cut&dry as you're making it out to be, though.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Checked in-game first, and ok, you mean the shoulderpads.  They do seem to have come down even further.  1.5 gold, at most.  I'm inclined to think people must not care about the shoulderpads, for some reason, but I don't know.  It could just be because they're shoulder armor, and not something more visible?  Or maybe people are still just upset because they didn't think the holiday event would be about camping the trading post?  Or are people just that deadset on the 2h weapons?

I don't have enough info, honestly.  I don't think its as cut&dry as you're making it out to be, though.

what's not cut and dry? people want some skins for the holiday event correct? you can easily get a neat looking pare of skull shouldpads for cheap on the TP.. shoulder skins range from 65 silver to 1.5 gold right now would take anyone not much time at all to get that.. if you are so inclined to get a weapon skin you can try your luck with the new halloween chests or the BLCs OR if you have the gold you can buy it on the TP.. still trying to see what the big deal is now?

imho greatsaw greatsword is by far the best looking skin it's at 32 gold right now on the TP and there's 52 avaialble as the event gets further along more and more should be up on the TP bringing that price down even more..

I just see a lot of bitching, and try to explain it.  I think anet could have done a much better job of just making sure everyone had fun.  I know, there will always be bitching about something, but it didn't have to be anywhere near this bad.  I think its likely a gross oversimplification to try to chalk it up to people just not checking the TP.

Me, though?  I think there are a number of items I haven't even seen yet, but the one I did like was the staff with the lantern on it.  I tried the 6s version and its kinda neat.  I don't even know where to get the permenent version of that.  The staff skin from chests appears to be the scythe instead, which doesn't interest me as much.  Maybe the permenent version of the lantern staff is coming in a later act.

I just see a lot of bitching, and try to explain it.  I think anet could have done a much better job of just making sure everyone had fun.  I know, there will always be bitching about something, but it didn't have to be anywhere near this bad.  I think its likely a gross oversimplification to try to chalk it up to people just not checking the TP.

Me, though?  I think there are a number of items I haven't even seen yet, but the one I did like was the staff with the lantern on it.  I tried the 6s version and its kinda neat.  I don't even know where to get the permenent version of that.  The staff skin from chests appears to be the scythe instead, which doesn't interest me as much.  Maybe the permenent version of the lantern staff is coming in a later act.

http://gw2.mmorpg-life.com/halloween-skins-compilation/53876/

The crossing is what I assume you are talking about.. yea haven't seen the perm skin for that yet.. greatsaw greatsword still by far my favorite.. ghastly grinning shield is pretty neat as well

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Foomerang Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by Foomerang Cool. Maybe next time youll be able to play some cool new dungeon or DE for that type of stuff. (Hehe sorry man im totally just bustin balls here. Couldnt resist). :D
    actually 30 new events this patch and supposed ot be a large content patch next month:)
    And yet they sell the best shinies in an rng cash shop....  
    actually not really seen better looking outside the CS.. actually way better looking.. but obviously looks are subjective.. if you look at the CS very little in the way of outfits is on there.. only one set per armor type and a couple "fashion" outfits and that's it
    Im sure anet is testing the waters with what they can get away with right now. Looking at all the money they raked in today, id brace for impact if i were you haha
    And that shopping cart icon in RIFT is there just to sell the xpac?  I've got news for you. (just bustin nuts back a little lol)

By the way, ANet is offering a free helm skin in the BLTC (their store acronym sounds like a sandwich).  I think that's rather cool.

You get a free event skin through the shop.  You can buy some stuff.  You can craft some stuff in the forge.  You can trade for otehr stuff.  And, of course, you can spend real life money  for some stuff if you want.  Seems like a good deal to me.

There are also in game achevements for the holiday event.  You can't buy the achievements in the cash shop.

Ill be the first to cancel my sub the minute trion puts rng cash shop items for sale at that stupid derps depot. I hate cash shops to begin with, but the whole rng for cash thing...no way

Originally posted by Torvaldr

What should they do to make sure everyone has more fun?  You can achieve things through game play, you can grind out gold to buy some stuff, you can grind out mats to forge some things, you can some with gems, and you can buy stuff from other players.

I've been having a great time doing event stuff and enjoy seeing the GW2 version of halloween that I'm used to seeing in GW1.

I'm not a fan of exclusively rare fluff either, especially not from a holiday, but ANet has had this same philosophy for about 7 years now.  It shouldn't be a huge surprise that they carry that over from GW1 to GW2.

I didn't play the first GW, but I've seen lots of people saying this is not the case at all.  That they'd have rare fluff in the main game, but holiday events were more all inclusive?

@Aerowyn yeah, that's the staff I meant.

It's cute, but not something I'd invest in more seriously, trying to get.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

The prices of the skins have greatly fallen since their introduction to the trading post.

Prices shall continue falling, especially after the Mystical Forge update. Please save up the extra items you get from chests and make sure you use them in the forge for many Halloween style items and skins!

As the Acts (there are four... we are at 1) continue on, expect more and more items in the TP, hopefully you all will participate in the celebration!

Happy Halloween!

Originally posted by Foomerang

Ill be the first to cancel my sub the minute trion puts rng cash shop items for sale at that stupid derps depot. I hate cash shops to begin with, but the whole rng for cash thing...no way

if it was purely cosmetic than how would this effect your game at all? i personally only dislike cash shops that have non cosmetic weapons/armor and ones that you cannot get anything from that shop without spending real money.. luckily for me GW2's GS doesn't full under those categories.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

if it was purely cosmetic than how would this effect your game at all? i personally only dislike cash shops that have non cosmetic weapons/armor and ones that you cannot get anything from that shop without spending real money.. luckily for me GW2's GS doesn't full under those categories.

Adding an RNG item in to a cash shop requires a low drop rate of the desired item to generate the highest profit, great for the company, not great for the player. It's your choice whether or not to get involved with money grabbing shenanigans, I choose not to, don't support the idea at all. Not at all impressed Anet went down this route, disappointed with them. Nothing you say here can change that fact, that's down to Anet.

Had no intention of using real money for an RNG item, look what happened, a lot felt like they just threw their money away. Bit of a PR mess.

I'm also ignoring the insane grind for the permanent Halloween weapon recipes, just as I ignore the insane grind for legendaries and the like, don't need em, function quite well without them thanks. Halloween isn't the special fun thing it was in GW, there was a much more egalitarian approach back then.

In game I ignore all this nonsense, we keep that to forums in our guild, still getting a lot of mileage and fun out of the game, leveling up alts and discovering new things, it really is a great game, doesn't mean I have to shut up when I see something I don't like though :)

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Adding an RNG item in to a cash shop requires a low drop rate of the desired item to generate the highest profit, great for the company, not great for the player. It's your choice whether or not to get involved with money grabbing shenanigans, I choose not to, don't support the idea at all. Not at all impressed Anet went down this route, disappointed with them. Nothing you say here can change that fact, that's down to Anet.

Had no intention of using real money for an RNG item, look what happened, a lot felt like they just threw their money away. Bit of a PR mess.

I'm also ignoring the insane grind for the permanent Halloween weapon recipes, just as I ignore the insane grind for legendaries and the like, don't need em, function quite well without them thanks. Halloween isn't the special fun thing it was in GW, there was a much more egalitarian approach back then.

In game I ignore all this nonsense, we keep that to forums in our guild, still getting a lot of mileage and fun out of the game, leveling up alts and discovering new things, it really is a great game, doesn't mean I have to shut up when I see something I don't like though :)

i could understand an outrage if the items were bind on pickup but as being tradeable and not requiring you to even use the cash shop at all to aquire the skins i cleary don't see what the fuss is about.. if ANET wanted to they could of just made the skins only available on the CS but this would greatly limit how many people had access to them without spending money or converting gold.. the way it is now a great deal more people have an oppurtunity to obtain the skins

Originally posted by EvilGeek   Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by Foomerang  
    Adding an RNG item in to a cash shop requires a low drop rate of the desired item to generate the highest profit, great for the company, not great for the player. It's your choice whether or not to get involved with money grabbing shenanigans, I choose not to, don't support the idea at all. Not at all impressed Anet went down this route, disappointed with them. Nothing you say here can change that fact, that's down to Anet.   Had no intention of using real money for an RNG item, look what happened, a lot felt like they just threw their money away. Bit of a PR mess. I'm also ignoring the insane grind for the permanent Halloween weapon recipes, just as I ignore the insane grind for legendaries and the like, don't need em, function quite well without them thanks. Halloween isn't the special fun thing it was in GW, there was a much more egalitarian approach back then. In game I ignore all this nonsense, we keep that to forums in our guild, still getting a lot of mileage and fun out of the game, leveling up alts and discovering new things, it really is a great game, doesn't mean I have to shut up when I see something I don't like though :)
    i could understand an outrage if the items were bind on pickup but as being tradeable and not requiring you to even use the cash shop at all to aquire the skins i cleary don't see what the fuss is about.. if ANET wanted to they could of just made the skins only available on the CS but this would greatly limit how many people had access to them without spending money or converting gold.. the way it is now a great deal more people have an oppurtunity to obtain the skins

Tradeable cash shop items on the in game TP reeks of dev driven economy which is something I definitely stay away from in when looking for a good mmorpg. Its just unfortunate all the way around in regards to the rng cash shop items and then putting them into the game economy. Sure the end result is non sub fee sustaining revenue but at the cost of a tainted game economy and gambling microtransactions, I'm not impressed with this setup at all.
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by EvilGeek   Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by Foomerang  
    Adding an RNG item in to a cash shop requires a low drop rate of the desired item to generate the highest profit, great for the company, not great for the player. It's your choice whether or not to get involved with money grabbing shenanigans, I choose not to, don't support the idea at all. Not at all impressed Anet went down this route, disappointed with them. Nothing you say here can change that fact, that's down to Anet.   Had no intention of using real money for an RNG item, look what happened, a lot felt like they just threw their money away. Bit of a PR mess. I'm also ignoring the insane grind for the permanent Halloween weapon recipes, just as I ignore the insane grind for legendaries and the like, don't need em, function quite well without them thanks. Halloween isn't the special fun thing it was in GW, there was a much more egalitarian approach back then. In game I ignore all this nonsense, we keep that to forums in our guild, still getting a lot of mileage and fun out of the game, leveling up alts and discovering new things, it really is a great game, doesn't mean I have to shut up when I see something I don't like though :)

If you're happy with RNG on desirable festival cash shop items that's fine, I'm not, as I said before nothing you can say will change my mind on that. RNG on shop items = lowest form of cash grab going, expected better of Anet. Don't care that the items are on the TP, RNG on cash shop items is a road they should never have gone down.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Tradeable cash shop items on the in game TP reeks of dev driven economy which is something I definitely stay away from in when looking for a good mmorpg. Its just unfortunate all the way around in regards to the rng cash shop items and then putting them into the game economy. Sure the end result is non sub fee sustaining revenue but at the cost of a tainted game economy and gambling microtransactions, I'm not impressed with this setup at all.

Honestly, all this outrage over the holloween skins seems a bit excessive.

1) How exactly is it tainting the economy? Where's the proof showing a strong negative change in the economy? I don't really see where this argument comes from. In all games with an economy, the market is influenced by the devs to some degree. However I have yet to see why this is automatically a bad thing.

2) We're complaining about 100% cosmetic item skins, that are not only completely unnecessary to have ingame, but also can be obtained (as Aerowyn has pointed out) without ever touching the Cashshop. Furthermore, their prices are dropping on the TP, and many of them are very affordable right now.

- Honestly, the big issue from what I see is that Anet screwed up the drop rates. They were too low. But this turning into a soapbox about gambling, economics, and lies just seems a bit absurd to me.

We were told from the start that these skins could be obtained via the black lion chests (which have always been an RNG item). We were also told they would be a chance to recieve them (again, re-enforcing the point of it being random).

At some point, shouldn't it be on the players to act like adults and take responsibility of their own actions?

- Again I'd like to point out that ALL of the event items from halloween can be obtained using ingame currency, randomly, or through completing the events. I'd also like to remind people that this is only act 1 of the holloween event. There are more updates coming tomorrow, supposedly. Not the least of which, is supposed to be ways to get said skins in an easier fashion.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

As soon as a company knows that they can get away with RNG CS items without too much fuss from the community then all bets are off and you will start seeing more and more of those items.

Cosmetics or non-cosmetics is NOT the issue,  playing slot machine with CS items is.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    Originally posted by stayontarget

As soon as a company knows that they can get away with RNG CS items without too much fuss from the community then all bets are off and you will start seeing more and more of those items.

Cosmetics or non-cosmetics is NOT the issue,  playing slot machine with CS items is.

It is because it makes all the difference between a game being play to win or not.  I don't care if other people are too careless with their time and money over 'fluff' items.  More power to them if thats what they want to do... im not forced to participate.  If it's play to win, I am.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by aesperus

1) How exactly is it tainting the economy? Where's the proof showing a strong negative change in the economy? I don't really see where this argument comes from. In all games with an economy, the market is influenced by the devs to some degree. However I have yet to see why this is automatically a bad thing.

2) We're complaining about 100% cosmetic item skins, that are not only completely unnecessary to have ingame, but also can be obtained (as Aerowyn has pointed out) without ever touching the Cashshop. Furthermore, their prices are dropping on the TP, and many of them are very affordable right now.

- Honestly, the big issue from what I see is that Anet screwed up the drop rates. They were too low. But this turning into a soapbox about gambling, economics, and lies just seems a bit absurd to me.

We were told from the start that these skins could be obtained via the black lion chests (which have always been an RNG item). We were also told they would be a chance to recieve them (again, re-enforcing the point of it being random).

At some point, shouldn't it be on the players to act like adults and take responsibility of their own actions?

- Again I'd like to point out that ALL of the event items from halloween can be obtained using ingame currency, randomly, or through completing the events. I'd also like to remind people that this is only act 1 of the holloween event. There are more updates coming tomorrow, supposedly. Not the least of which, is supposed to be ways to get said skins in an easier fashion.

I would not say that the highlighted section is necessarily true. The person purchasing the item off the TP most likely didn't need the cash shop, but the person putting it up most likely did. Sure there are a few keys floating around, but not nearly enough for the amount of items on the TP based off drop rates of both the keys in game and the drop rate of the skin from a chest......

Originally posted by Tawn47
    Originally posted by stayontarget

It is because it makes all the difference between a game being play to win or not.  I don't care if other people are too careless with their time and money over 'fluff' items.  More power to them if thats what they want to do... im not forced to participate.  If it's play to win, I am.

It is play to win if your entire end game progression is based of cosmetics like it is in GW2.......

Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

I would not say that the highlighted section is necessarily true. The person purchasing the item off the TP most likely didn't need the cash shop, but the person putting it up most likely did. Sure there are a few keys floating around, but not nearly enough for the amount of items on the TP based off drop rates of both the keys in game and the drop rate of the skin from a chest......

still an assumption also with how the mad king chests are obtained even less likely people are going to spend money to aquire these items.. but again if if they did why would you care that much? game needs to make it's money like any game they are allowing players to make their own decision on if they want to spend the money as anything can be obtained without money... for a B2P game i really don't see the big deal here if it was P2P i could see an issue.

still an assumption also with how the mad king chests are obtained even less likely people are going to spend money to aquire these items.. but again if if they did why would you care that much? game needs to make it's money like any game they are allowing players to make their own decision on if they want to spend the money as anything can be obtained without money... for a B2P game i really don't see the big deal here if it was P2P i could see an issue.

I agree with you 100%. This is how I imagined a B2P game making money. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, running a full blown AAA mmorpg is not free. It may not cost a lot to maintain the servers, but customer service personnel and the development team do require a large amount of resources. I was only stating that the cash shop is still being used in the process. It isn't really an assumption, you and I both know that when you combine the low key key drop rate with the low yield percentage of the chests most likey there is some CS purchased keys in there somewhere.

1) How? Devs are placing items in their cash shop and players are turning around and putting them into the game's trading post. Not sure how else to phrase that tbh. Seems fairly obvious. In game auction houses should be about player made/found/gathered items being bought and traded among the players. When devs put items in a cash shop that can be bought with out of game money and put into the trading post, it breaks the circle. It ceases to be a player run economy because devs can introduce items at will that came from somewhere outside the game and benefits their bottom line directly.

2) This is not about how important or unimportant the items are. Cosmetic or not, they are items inserted into the game via devs and not in game content. A player could just buy items with real cash, and sell them on an in gme AH to other players without any use of actual in game mechanics or systems. They are essentially playing the game with the devs and not the players. Its like being a middle man for obtaining items outside the game. Doesnt matter if the same items can be obtained in game or not. It taints the in game economy when outside sources for in game items can be obtained for real money.

This may not be a big deal to you. But for me, its a deal breaker in regards to virtual world mmos and what I look for in a player run economy. Not to mention youre not even guaranteed an item, rather youre basically buying scratcher tickets that have a chance to yield an item which then can be sold or traded via an in game auction. All this to avoid a monthly fee. Sorry , but for people like me, that kills a lot of what an mmorpg is supposed to be.

The Rift app does this too and it really sucks. At least the Rift app is free and involves a mini game on your phone. But regardless, it is poor form.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

1) How? Devs are placing items in their cash shop and players are turning around and putting them into the game's trading post. Not sure how else to phrase that tbh. Seems fairly obvious. In game auction houses should be about player made/found/gathered items being bought and traded among the players. When devs put items in a cash shop that can be bought with out of game money and put into the trading post, it breaks the circle. It ceases to be a player run economy because devs can introduce items at will that came from somewhere outside the game and benefits their bottom line directly.

2) This is not about how important or unimportant the items are. Cosmetic or not, they are items inserted into the game via devs and not in game content. A player could just buy items with real cash, and sell them on an in gme AH to other players without any use of actual in game mechanics or systems. They are essentially playing the game with the devs and not the players. Its like being a middle man for obtaining items outside the game. Doesnt matter if the same items can be obtained in game or not. It taints the in game economy when outside sources for in game items can be obtained for real money.

This may not be a big deal to you. But for me, its a deal breaker in regards to virtual world mmos and what I look for in a player run economy. Not to mention youre not even guaranteed an item, rather youre basically buying scratcher tickets that have a chance to yield an item which then can be sold or traded via an in game auction. All this to avoid a monthly fee. Sorry , but for people like me, that kills a lot of what an mmorpg is supposed to be.

The Rift app does this too and it really sucks. At least the Rift app is free and involves a mini game on your phone. But regardless, it is poor form.

Foom, you do realize that you can flat out buy gems for cash and directly change them into gold via in-game mechanisms right?  So like...adding an indirect method to do this doesn't matter.  The direct method already exists.

As for me, I definitely wasn't happy when i heard about the gem->gold exchange, but I've come to terms with it.  Right now, the price of gold is so ridonkulous that it really isn't a big deal.  You have to spend a LOT of money to get gold that it wouldn't but a handful of dungeon runs to get.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

I agree with you 100%. This is how I imagined a B2P game making money. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, running a full blown AAA mmorpg is not free. It may not cost a lot to maintain the servers, but customer service personnel and the development team do require a large amount of resources. I was only stating that the cash shop is still being used in the process. It isn't really an assumption, you and I both know that when you combine the low key key drop rate with the low yield percentage of the chests most likey there is some CS purchased keys in there somewhere.

obviously people got skins by buying keys from the CS.. my point is we have no way of knowing how many.. how many had keys saved up and how many converted gold to gems and got keys.. no data means obviously all this is assumptions and honestly since you have alternate ways to get this stuff without spending a dime of real money I really still don't see how people can have an issue on a B2P game..  only two skins i'd really like to have are the ghastly grinning shield and the greatsaw greatsword.. ill wait till end of event and see what price is on the TP if I can't get them oh well if I can great.. really it's not that big of a deal.