Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for game that has as many of these elements as possible

Mills007Mills007 Member UncommonPosts: 55

I'm a veteran MMO player, and I'm looking for a game that will grab my attention and make me want to play for extended periods of time, not just log in and do daily quests in hopes of not falling to far behind in my chase of the proverbial carrot. I don't know of any game that has all of these elements, but here are the things that I've found fun in my three and a half decades of gaming (the last 17 or so in MMOs):

1) Flight simulation. Something off of rails, like the old X-Wing vs Tie Fighter games, or even the space combat in SWG (though actual player interaction in space was a little sparse for my taste... may have just been the servers I played on). It doesn't have to be in space, but any sort of flight simulation where I can gain experience and upgrade what I can fly or the equipment I can fit onto my ship would be nice.

2) Player housing. I'd like to not only be able to display trophies, like in EQ2, but also have plenty of interior (and exterior, to an extent) decorating options available that I can use to create different effects and really make my house unique (again, as in SWG). The option to have some NPCs populate the house, whether they serve a purpose (like a vendor) or whether they're just flavor would be nice, too. Also, If I could make my house a farm, where I can grow plants or raise animals that I can then sell to other players (or NPC vendors, in a pinch) that I can automate would be nice.

3) Character appearance customization. Could be character creation options, like in City of Heroes, but I'm really looking for gear customization, so I don't look like every other member of my race/class if I don't want to. Something like the appearance tabs in LotRO or even the Transmog in WoW would be acceptible.

4) Skill customization. The ability to choose which skills/abilities I want to use (similar to the skill boxes in pre-CU SWG) or to be able to use skills/abilities from different classes/professions. Even something as simple as different abilities based on my equipped weapon (like GW2) would be okay.

5) Crafting. I'd like to be able to get gear that is competitive (not neccessarily the best or even on par with) with looted/purchased gear. I'd also like the crafting to be dynamic, not just a click-it-and-forget-it type of system. I hate to keep referencing SWG, but that crafting system was very nice, assuming you could play the resource gathering game well. Even EQ2's system of responding to prompts within the crafting process (with outcome quality reflecting those responses) is better than nothing.

6) Immersion. I'd really like to get drawn in by an amazing story, particularly a race/class quest line. SW:TOR did this well, I felt. I'm looking for something that takes you through the entire leveling experience, not just up to a point (like WoW's class-specific weapon quests at level 20 or GW2's personalized quests that end in the 30s) then dumping you and your character. An engaging story with moral choices that affect how NPCs respond to you (beyond just reputation grinding) would be nice.

7) Dynamic. I'd like to see player actions impact the game world, as in taking and controling a city or a base. I like how GW2 has some level of this in NPC events, but something where player action is taken into account (instead of player inaction against a cycle of NPC waves) would be optimal.

8) Good social content. When I'm tired of questing/killing/delivering goods to NPCs/slaying Brown Rats/etc, I'd like to be able to interact with the game's community in social events that lend themselves to roleplaying opportunities, such as sharing tales at a tavern, listening to a band, etc. This would require a decent community, not the game's version of "Barrens Chat" or trade channel spam and ranting.

9) Mini games. Kind of goes along with the item above. I'd like to be able to wager over a hand of cards, engage in racing, do some gladiatorial pit fighting, etc. WoW's pet battles are a step in this direction, but I'd like to see more player interaction.

10) Playstyle choices. Sometimes I want to solo. Sometimes I want to play with a small group. Sometimes I like the epicness of a big wave of players fighting together. I like these things in my PvE and my PvP. I like how GW2 lets players come together on the fly and work towards a common goal in an event. I don't care whether I group or whether it's more open and free-form, as long as I can accomplish what I want to when I want to. If a group is required and there's not enough players, having the option to hire minions (as in the original GW) would be nice.

I'll stop with those as my Top Ten, in no particular order. Like I said, I don't know of any game out right now that employs all of these things, but I'd love to hear what you guys are playing (or have played) that meets as many of these elements as possible. I don't care whether the game is free-to-play, has a subscription, has an item mall, etc. I just want to play something that will get as close to sucking me in as those first days/months/years of my MMO experience (with the original EQ).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Yes..I want all that too but It cant be to hard.  Also a pay to win cash store would be a great number 11.   Also I want to the abitly to play offline with out even seeing other players..though this is a suboption of 10.    Hmm what else...

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    go make your own game.. There isn't any game with all the aspect you writed there

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• Mills007Mills007 Member UncommonPosts: 55

Yes, I understand that there is not a game out there right now with all of these aspect. In fact, I think I stated that in both the opening paragraph AND the closing paragraph.

What I'm asking is what games you're curently playing and enjoying that meets as many of these points as possible. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Thanks in advance for any constructive replies.

• Mills007Mills007 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Yes..I want all that too but It cant be to hard.  Also a pay to win cash store would be a great number 11.   Also I want to the abitly to play offline with out even seeing other players..though this is a suboption of 10.    Hmm what else...

Sorry if what I'm looking for in a game appears to have offended you. Don't think I ever said I wanted everything handed to me or to be able to pay to win. In fact, I believe I stated that I'm looking for a game that will suck me in and get me to want to play. You know, having fun and working toward goals.

I guess trolls gotta troll.

I know I'll never find a game that can give me what I experienced when I played through the original EQ for the first time... the excitement, the exploration, the feeling of accomplishment when you finished out a quest line or obtained an epic weapon for the first time. At the same time, I know what's possible and what's being offered in MMOs have changed a lot since the mid-90s.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys are playing that meets as many of the above as possible.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    ArcheAge fits the description (all 10 elements i guess), tho you have to wait for it until 2014...
  • suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Mills007

Yes, I understand that there is not a game out there right now with all of these aspect. In fact, I think I stated that in both the opening paragraph AND the closing paragraph.

What I'm asking is what games you're curently playing and enjoying that meets as many of these points as possible. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Thanks in advance for any constructive replies.

Actually I enjoy Xcom: enemy unknow, but it isn't MMO. And time from time, I'm playing  LoL, Dota2,WoW,WoT ( just to kill some time ) while waiting for new games like Archeage and/or World of the Darkness.   

Edit:  Maybe I'll try Darkfall: Unholy Wars

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.