Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opened 80 chests and not one skin.

13»

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire
    Honestly, I have no sympathy for anyone dropping money down on a gamble where they have no clue of the odds.  People are absolutely raging about how much money they paid without a single skin dropping from a chest.  For crying out loud, take responsibility for your own actions.  Make an educated decision.  Nobody is forcing you to buy from Anet to participate in their event. 

I don't blame people who admire and have enough faith in Arenanet to automatically trust them with providing reasonable rates.

Same, at least the first time. I would imagine a lot of people will feel themselves burned will be looking closer at the next offer ANet make them.

It is a shame that more corperations don't realise what valuable commercial assets trust and goodwill are.

They sell them out so easily...

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Honestly, I have no sympathy for anyone dropping money down on a gamble where they have no clue of the odds.  People are absolutely raging about how much money they paid without a single skin dropping from a chest.  For crying out loud, take responsibility for your own actions.  Make an educated decision.  Nobody is forcing you to buy from Anet to participate in their event. 

I don't blame people who admire and have enough faith in Arenanet to automatically trust them with providing reasonable rates.

Same, at least the first time. I would imagine a lot of people will feel themselves burned will be looking closer at the next offer ANet make them.

It is a shame that more corperations don't realise what valuable commercial assets trust and goodwill are.

+1

What is most ironic is that the same people who used to say 'trust in Anet' and how 'Anet is above other greedy companies like SOE' are now the same people who say 'it is your fault for trusting Anet'.

What i have learned from topics like these is that fans would go to any length to defend their favorite MMO and make up stuff as they go.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by halflife25

What is most ironic is that the same people who used to say 'trust in Anet' and how 'Anet is above other greedy companies like SOE' are now the same people who say 'it is your fault for trusting Anet'.

What i have learned from topics like these is that fans would go to any length to defend their favorite MMO and make up stuff as they go.

ANET is still my favorite game dev but they have earned burnt brownie points in my eyes 

a big issue I have is ANETs zero support for character restores

- i know support is coming but they said it was very important to them 2 months ago

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115
    In my opinion they should have provided an option to get chests with a chance to get  Halloween skins by doing in-game events and quests, like it was in Guild Wars 1. That way not only people who can and want to spend money could get it. The way it is done now looks a lot like a money grab to me. It really leaves a foul taste in my mouth.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

+1

Ah man, I just can't keep away from this argument lol...

Maybe it is because the whole "entitlement" attitude irks me, and I just can't let it go.  I feel like everyone here is whining because they bought a bunch of chests, felt they were entitled to a rare skin, and didn't get it.

But consider this...what do you think gives these halloween skins their perceived value?

Is it their visual appearance?  Maybe, but doubtable, there are plenty of other good skins in the game, and I don't think the visual appearance of these skins is so wonderful that it drives the perceived value of these skins up.

Is it because these skins give players some kind of advantage in gameplay?  Obviously not, they give the player no advantage at all.

So what is it that makes these skins so valuable???

I'll tell you.  It is their EXCLUSIVITY.

These skins have a high perceived value because one, they are (were?) a rare drop from the Black Lion Chests.  And two, because they will only be available for a limited amount time.  This makes them EXCLUSIVE, and makes people want them, so they can have something that most others do not have.

If the skins were common-place and everyone had them, I can almost guarantee you that they would not be as high in demand.  This is just basic human psychology...if you want more, check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarcity_value.

So my point is...why are you whining about the ONE thing that actually gives the skins value?  You all complain that you should be entitled to get skins if you bought so many chests, but if that were to happen, then EVERYONE would be entitled to the same, and the skins would no longer be desired.

The same is basically true with legendaries.  A lot of people whined that they are too difficult to get.  But it is this very exclusivity that makes people want to get them.  If you got legendaries for the price of say, two exotics, then EVERYONE would have them, and they would just be another weapon skin.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Creslin321

+1

Ah man, I just can't keep away from this argument lol...

Maybe it is because the whole "entitlement" attitude irks me, and I just can't let it go.  I feel like everyone here is whining because they bought a bunch of chests, felt they were entitled to a rare skin, and didn't get it.

I am gonna stop you right there before this whole argument goes into another direction. I have spent a lot of time reading halloween topics and also that one gigantic topic going on in official forums. Players are mostly asking for the items to be given as reward for playing the game and not according to how much cash you can spend on CS or your ability to spend countless hours in farming gold. This whole concept of gold farming has already ruined Cursed Shore.

No one said make items non exclusive or distribute them like candies. All these items can still be rare and can be given as rewards for completing halloween events.

So if you think it is all about 'entitlement' that is your own interpretation of this problem. 

Also fans use these 'entitlement' as an excuse to defend Anet.  Never underestimate the good will with your playerbase. it takes years to form good relations and only seconds to ruin it all.

Also, i avoid having discussions with people who try to label every legitimate concern as a 'whine' and yet they themselves post a long whine post about people whining.

+1

So my point is...why are you whining about the ONE thing that actually gives the skins value?  You all complain that you should be entitled to get skins if you bought so many chests, but if that were to happen, then EVERYONE would be entitled to the same, and the skins would no longer be desired.

There is a good amount of straw man arguing in this post Cres :(

That aside, I personally didn't buy any keys, simply because I hate the RNG box business model.

The bottom line though is that a lot of people came to trust ANet for one thing (amongst others)... value for their dollar.

I think a lot of people now feel that basic trust has been betrayed somewhat, because what they are being sold here does not represent good value to them.

It, I suspect, isn't about being entitled to the skins themselves that is driving many, but rather an entitlement to a 'fair deal'.

Simply put, ANet obviously got their price point wrong for many. They misjudged a lot of their market and asked too much for too little and generated a lot of bad feeling amongst their fans.

+1

That aside, I personally didn't buy any keys, simply because I hate the RNG box business model.

The bottom line though is that a lot of people came to trust ANet for one thing (amongst others)... value for their dollar.

I think a lot of people now feel that basic trust has been betrayed somewhat, because what they are being sold here does not represent good value to them.

It, I suspect, isn't about being entitled to the skins themselves that is driving many, but rather an entitlement to a 'fair deal'.

Simply put, ANet obviously got their price point wrong for many. They misjudged a lot of their market and asked too much for too little and generated a lot of bad feeling amongst their fans.

I don't see how it's straw man.

There are several people in this thread stating flat out that they wanted the drop rates to be higher.  Making the drop rates higher makes the goods less exclusive, and therefore less valuable.

But as with every big thread, there are many individuals here that have different viewpoints.  I am arguing specifically against the people who want the drop rates to be higher, or bought a bunch of chests and felt entitled to receive a cookie.  If you are not in this group, I am not arguing against you.

+1

There are several people in this thread stating flat out that they wanted the drop rates to be higher.  Making the drop rates higher makes the goods less exclusive, and therefore less valuable.

But as with every big thread, there are many individuals here that have different viewpoints.  I am arguing specifically against the people who want the drop rates to be higher, or bought a bunch of chests and felt entitled to receive a cookie.  If you are not in this group, I am not arguing against you.

ok, so your post was towards the whole thread, and not the quotes you used in your reply?

ok, understood, nps.

+1

ok, so your post was towards the whole thread, and not the quotes you used in your reply?

ok, understood, nps.

Ah yeah, I can see how it would be confusing the way I did it.

I guess I was thinking of responding in general to people who felt the drop rates were an injustice, so I responded to that one post.  But yeah, I did it in a confusing manner, so my bad :).

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    It is a fundamental question of perception and expectation. You expect when you spend a certain amount of money real money I mean to see some value for it. When it is based on something this elusive it does make the buyer very wary and possibly angry for the loss of their money. Whether that feeling is warranted or whether they should know better does not help the perception nor the expectation and you end up with angry people.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    If you purchased those keys with gems you could have just as easily traded those gems for gold and just buy the skin you wanted from the trading post.
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

I am not going to waste any more gems on keys. I will just see if prices will be affordable for new skins and purchase from TP. However i highly doubt it. For a MMO where new skins is all the draw i don't like this gambling. 

I checked forums and asked guildies, many are having same luck as me.

So if you are one of the lucky ones don't forget to share your skins with us.

WHOO HOOO! We're sharing skin!

I had a long post,

Then I decided to not feed troll,

Then I came back to call out troll,

But,

Here I find you and a genuine laugh, thanks.

plz give me new skin .i am sick of my real human skin :P

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by kitarad
    It is a fundamental question of perception and expectation. You expect when you spend a certain amount of money real money I mean to see some value for it. When it is based on something this elusive it does make the buyer very wary and possibly angry for the loss of their money. Whether that feeling is warranted or whether they should know better does not help the perception nor the expectation and you end up with angry people.

The whole idea that you don't know up front how much money it will cost to get the item you want is what makes its gambling in my book regradless of it's legal or not.  Either you are ok with that and feed the growing trend or like me you just refuse to partake in it at all.  I really look forward to my yearly trips to vegas but I really have no interest in gambling in a video game with real money for virtual goods.

I will say the number of games that have added this kind of crap over the last 12 months and the kinds of things they are starting to put into these boxes is getting distrubing to say the least.  The flood gates are open and only a legal challange in the EU or US would be capable of stopping it at this point.

ok, understood, nps.

I guess I was thinking of responding in general to people who felt the drop rates were an injustice, so I responded to that one post.  But yeah, I did it in a confusing manner, so my bad :).

ahh no worries, I know how these things can get.

I actually understand your argument and feeling towards entitlement in these games, I actually agree, I just rate 'value' and transparency equally as high.

They just need to find that sweet spot that keeps some stuff feeling exclusive, while still delivering the feeling of decent value to the consumer. It's a tough one to balance.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I know how you feel.... Tho I feel even shittier because I opened a bunch of BL chests and mad king chests while my girlfriend opened up 4 BL chests and got a shield skin.

:D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

ok, understood, nps.

ahh no worries, I know how these things can get.

I actually understand your argument and feeling towards entitlement in these games, I actually agree, I just rate 'value' and transparency equally as high.

They just need to find that sweet spot that keeps some stuff feeling exclusive, while still delivering the feeling of decent value to the consumer. It's a tough one to balance.

Transparency, If developers where required to post payout tables for these chests like casinos are for slot machines I bet they would find peoples willingness to spend money on these kinds of things significantly lower.  My opinion is in cases where there is no transparency the odds are usally significantly stacked against you.  Like taking a loan from a payday advance place vs using your credit card stacked against you.  And when you let the developer decide what the "average value" of a item is even if they give you that it's not really a useful number.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

It's a shame 80 chests and no skins, HOWEVER, an Anet dev said to NOT delete anything you got out of the chest as there will be ways to obtain skins from them (they'll spill the beans later this week afaik).

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

It's a shame 80 chests and no skins, HOWEVER, an Anet dev said to NOT delete anything you got out of the chest as there will be ways to obtain skins from them (they'll spill the beans later this week afaik).

umm the new way is already in

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Torvaldr

There a lot of things that can be earned and rewarded by game play.  The thing is people want to focus only on the cash shop aspect and then blow it out of proportion.

This actually is an entitlement issue.  The skins aren't bound and can be purchased.  Other rewards are available through game play.  Where entitlement enters is that people want what is rare to be provided to them easily and without spending a lot of gems or in game gold.  So if it was all easily obtained then the same people finding "flaws" everywhree would bitch that the GW2 economy is crap or that they hand out rewards ezmode (we see those posts too).

So if you think this is all about areas ruined by gold farming or having to do something you don't want then that is your own interpretation of the problem.

By the way ANet has even offered a free skin on the BLTC, but of course no one wants to mention that in their mission to be offended.

Keep repeating that, you won't convince me.

I hate to repeat myself over and over again but i am going to put my foot down on this one and say this for last time  Items can still be rare and unique even if rewarded through completing events. I don't understand this idiotic reasoning that items are only rare if people spend a lot of gems and gold to get them. Sorry but that is nonsense.

Anyways, i am going to bow out of this discussion because i don't like to beat around the bush.