Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is it about EVE that keeps people playing?

123457»

Comments

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by free2play
    but it's in decline and it will remain in decline. Because of the nature of it, decline for EVE will resemble growth

did you even read what you typed? now for the painful actual truth EvE is growing and will likely continue to grow and it is one, if not the only MMOs in the entire industry to do so. Because it is a not a faulty 1 month throwaway free to play/themepark design and actually has replay value, the truth hurts.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Considering your username is free2play I assume you have given up on the subscription model and thus your oponion is obvisouly baised when it comes to one the few games that have remained subscription based over the long haul.
  • RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

To get back ontopic and actually answer the ops initial question i think it would be best to say what brought me back in the past, and maybe more interestingly what did not. And yes thats implying that i quit EvE - this time forever really - pretty regularly ...

1. I came back when they introduced AFs, frigate sized ship meant to punch through a cruiser? Yes please.

2. I came back for POS. Somehow the idea of taking a part of space(lowsec, or even 0.0) and making it my own haven in the midst of pirate infested backwaters - bristling with guns, webs, and scrams ofc - sounded appealing.

3. I watched too many eve vids about pirating and solo pvp, i liked the music and never was a pirate ... So i resubbed and joined a pirate corp.

4. I read some alliance info on a 3rd party site about eve politics, and how BoB where the greatest duchbags ever and how everyone hated them and how they where warring or pet-ifying everyone. I came back and joined a 0.0 alliance, obviously on BoBs side.

5. I think this was due to T2 BCs, i loved hacs but they where lacking a bit of punch and tank facing even small BS gangs. A T2 BC sounded like exactly the right mix of power, tank and maneuverability i would like(to this day i still dislike flying anything bigger than a BC, thats my pain threshold asfar as maneuverability is concerned).

6. WH space & T3 SC. Loved the idea and implementation. Far reaches of space thats not a playball for the big alliances? Yes please. I also liked exploring, just that there wasn't anything to explore in EvE before(exploring in the sense of flying through a gate to an unknown place and having no idea where you are, on second thought maybe i like getting lost more than exploring).

7. WiS. Yeah talk about major turnoff.

8. Retribution, as in the new expansion coming out now and its balance to t1 sub BS ships and promised balance to the other ships at a later time. WiS was the first time i actually left eve because i felt the game was going into a direction i disliked, i see this expansion as a reversal to their older developement plans, which i was in agreement with.

Needless to say what i was in EvE changed over the times, i went from miner to antipirate, to a industrialist running a T2 component production pos, to a pirate, to a 0.0 pawn, to highsec carebear and back to a industrialist involved in a WH production pos. 

This time around ... i dunno. Maybe i finally go and dabble in Faction Warfare, or try some RvB. I also always wanted trying to involve myself in EvE:U as a tutor helping out newer players ... i mean how great is it when you played a game for 8 years and you still have stuff to do you never tried? Its not new missions pulling me back, dungeons, or some new PvP maps. Its about trying out things i never did. 

Also EvE will forever hold the spot of the only game that ever actually did something for me in real life. English is my second language, and i was horrible at it in school, so much so that i was even held back because of it for one year. I literally couldn't form a coherent sentenence. Then i started playing EvE and involved myself heavily in corp chat, forums etc for literally hours every day for the next couple years. In my final year in college, which i only reached because my english marks had improved remarkably, i was best in class for english with a perfect score and my teacher, a native english speaker, remarked about how i had a grasp of the language going far beyond anything thats actually taught in college. That was 100% due to EvE, and thanks to it today im not only very comfortable writing and reading english texts, i can also comprehend a drunken mumbling irishmen with a bad mic on a low quality TS codec. Something im sure, even my old teacher would have had trouble with. 

Edit: I probably messed up the order above a bit, has been some years after all.