Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Insanely positive reviews? Am I missing something here...

Comments

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Razperil
    Originally posted by cataphracht

I'm probably playing this game wrongly, must be, but I've recently purchased GW2 reached lvl 40 and disappointed so far..... Is this what AAA mmorpg's have turned into?

If I take this game for what it is, it's decent, has very nice graphics and  smooth gameplay feel and it's no subscription, but the content what I'm used to is just severely lacking.

So far my overall quests have just been too generic, it's a neat way to clean up the UI but overall the quests are nothing ground breaking, infact I found most of them if not all tedius clean up rats quest etc. 

GW2 dynamic events are a rip off from Rift's invasions, they do the events better then Rift but they are hardly dynamic or rewarding, it's a let down as this was one of the games selling point for me. 

Levelling up is just not satisfying, you can unlock all your skills by level 5.  It's an idea, but they could possible implement some sort of levelling up with which skill you use more, so you become more customizable.

Also the levelling is just far to quick you level up by crafting, gathering, exploring, WvW getting skill points etc I'm easily outlevelling the little content what is there.

Also is there even any endgame content? I'm hearing on map chat all the gloom and doom talk about how GW2 is 'already' dying which leads me to think that the endgame is going to suck.

The trait and crafting system is just bland to say the least and the PvP is riddled with problems,  the WvW thing is a stupid excuse for PvP huge empty map (game could do with some mounts btw).  

Personal stories are a nice touch seems like the only quest in the game worth doing, but still the old republic did that a lot better.  

Obviously this game has it's good points, but the 9/10 reviews just doesn't reflect what I've experienced so far. To sum this game up so far: it feels like a mix up between TOR & Rift and not much better than either which isn't saying much.

The game can and probably will be improved but it's not the high quality content packed mmorpg I expected it was going to be, feels like a fantasy action game to mess around on.

Another thread stating the same exact things that have been said over and over again. I guess the "in" thing to do these days is to make posts of the same exact things over and over again. Honestly, who cares what scores the game has. People like it and it's not going to change. If you don't like it, don't play it. That's a pretty simple thing to do in my opinion. You might want to give it a try :)

There's nothing wrong with discussion, and I don't think the OP was trolling. He was sharing his experience in the appropriate section of the forums.

The real concern is the desire to silence dissent that some of these forums seem to advocate.

• MercurialGMercurialG Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Honestly by lvl 40 you have not really experienced the game.  I thought I had, until you hit 80 and have all of your traits unlocked and you get into some exotic gear.  Then as you experiment with different builds that match your playstyle and you will most likely find that you are playing the game completely different.  Also playing through the various Orr zones play much different then the rest of the zones.  There are no hearts with simple fetch quests.  It is all dynamic events that have a pretty big impact on the zone.  Also the events link to each other and escalate the zone as a whole.  Fail one step in the event and you have to start the chain over.  Also by level 80 you will most likely only have seen about 50% of the game world.  There are tons to do, and yes going back to the other zones is important for the skill points.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

OP-

You are not missing anything.  This game is a love or hate type.  If you feel that it doesn't deserve the high score, I would guess you are in-between.  I myself rank it high as a videogame, but subpar as an MMORPG.

A lot of people instantly fell in love with the game and to this day think it's the best/one of the best MMOs ever made.  If you don't find yourself in that group, chalk it up to personal taste.

I also share a lot of the grievances you do, thus why I find it lacking as an MMORPG.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

To be honest options is good but you get rewarded for every silly thing, even turning up to an event and doing nothing I got a gold medal and 2000 xp to boot which is a large portion say what you want but in my opinion thats just wrong. Gathering and crafting shouldn't reward you with exp but what ever it doesn't matter.

What's the point in even having levels then it seems a bit pointless of having a cap at 80 if the game isn't focused around levelling up?

Its kind of funy you bring that up. GW1 was 20 levels, and was a pretty popular game. But Arenanet discussed this a long time ago in regards to GW2. They wanted to keep it that way, but they also understand that because of the way a lot of other games are, it would turn a lot of people off as well. People feel special when they gain that level, even though it usually means very little in the overall picture. But they also didnt want to turn the game into a grind to reach max level either. They wanted to keep the whole idea of fairly easy to max out, but still being able to enjoy the content, similar to how a big portion of content in GW1 was designed for level cap.

So they just kind of mixed both ideas together. Increase the number of levels, but make it fairly esy to gain them and keep it flat instead of on a steep curve. Instead of like most games where youll level extremely fast early on and then it takes you many many time slonger to grind out higher levels, they wanted it to remain pretty steady across the board.

Thats also some of the reasoning behind the downleveling and scaling of rewards. They didnt want the content to become obsolete and a pointless snooze fest to play through areas you might not have been before. So they scale you down to match the area pretty well, but reward you based on your real level so you can still progress at a normal rate even if youre exploring lower level content.

Someone else in the past also brought up the whole "its stupid to gain XP levels for crafting" thing because it "makes no sense that I get better with my bow from crafting something". But like I said to them, does any non-skill based system make sense? If you play a hunter in wow, you can kill everything with your melee weapons, but you still get better with your bow also. Does that make sense? After all, every expert swordsman isnt automatically an expert marksman just because theyre good with one weapon. To me that makes just as little sense as crafting to get better at fighting. So the way I see it, if youre going to use 1, the other is no less reasonable to have as well. If it were a skill basd system (like Darkfall, UO, etc) where actual weapon / skill usage improves that particular skill, then yeah it would make no sense at all.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by grimal

OP-

You are not missing anything.  This game is a love or hate type.  If you feel that it doesn't deserve the high score, I would guess you are in-between.  I myself rank it high as a videogame, but subpar as an MMORPG.

A lot of people instantly fell in love with the game and to this day think it's the best/one of the best MMOs ever made.  If you don't find yourself in that group, chalk it up to personal taste.

I also share a lot of the grievances you do, thus why I find it lacking as an MMORPG.

true also can't see how others don't understand this.. for example http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/torchlight-ii  .. i feel torchlight 2 doesn't deserve more than a 6/10 as it feels to me just like all the other games of that type but i can see how others eat it up...  i'd say a good portion of the top rated games on metacritic I find boring and dull. Just all personal preference

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Razperil

I'm probably playing this game wrongly, must be, but I've recently purchased GW2 reached lvl 40 and disappointed so far..... Is this what AAA mmorpg's have turned into?

If I take this game for what it is, it's decent, has very nice graphics and  smooth gameplay feel and it's no subscription, but the content what I'm used to is just severely lacking.

So far my overall quests have just been too generic, it's a neat way to clean up the UI but overall the quests are nothing ground breaking, infact I found most of them if not all tedius clean up rats quest etc. 

GW2 dynamic events are a rip off from Rift's invasions, they do the events better then Rift but they are hardly dynamic or rewarding, it's a let down as this was one of the games selling point for me. 

Levelling up is just not satisfying, you can unlock all your skills by level 5.  It's an idea, but they could possible implement some sort of levelling up with which skill you use more, so you become more customizable.

Also the levelling is just far to quick you level up by crafting, gathering, exploring, WvW getting skill points etc I'm easily outlevelling the little content what is there.

Also is there even any endgame content? I'm hearing on map chat all the gloom and doom talk about how GW2 is 'already' dying which leads me to think that the endgame is going to suck.

The trait and crafting system is just bland to say the least and the PvP is riddled with problems,  the WvW thing is a stupid excuse for PvP huge empty map (game could do with some mounts btw).  

Personal stories are a nice touch seems like the only quest in the game worth doing, but still the old republic did that a lot better.  

Obviously this game has it's good points, but the 9/10 reviews just doesn't reflect what I've experienced so far. To sum this game up so far: it feels like a mix up between TOR & Rift and not much better than either which isn't saying much.

The game can and probably will be improved but it's not the high quality content packed mmorpg I expected it was going to be, feels like a fantasy action game to mess around on.

Another thread stating the same exact things that have been said over and over again. I guess the "in" thing to do these days is to make posts of the same exact things over and over again. Honestly, who cares what scores the game has. People like it and it's not going to change. If you don't like it, don't play it. That's a pretty simple thing to do in my opinion. You might want to give it a try :)

+1 QFT!!!!

+1

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    I think several of you kind of missed the whole part where this is in the "Reviews & Impressions" section. You know, where opinions and stuff like this belong. Should we just have 1 good and 1 bad review on every game, and nobody else is allowed to post their own personal opinions?
  • zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

compaired to anything else on the market it certainly holds its own

now add to that   no subscription   and  thats  why its gettign good reviews

is the game perfect  personaly i dont think so but  what else is better?

and is it really worth the  extra you need to pay a sub for ?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by MercurialG
    Honestly by lvl 40 you have not really experienced the game.  I thought I had, until you hit 80 and have all of your traits unlocked and you get into some exotic gear.  Then as you experiment with different builds that match your playstyle and you will most likely find that you are playing the game completely different.  Also playing through the various Orr zones play much different then the rest of the zones.  There are no hearts with simple fetch quests.  It is all dynamic events that have a pretty big impact on the zone.  Also the events link to each other and escalate the zone as a whole.  Fail one step in the event and you have to start the chain over.  Also by level 80 you will most likely only have seen about 50% of the game world.  There are tons to do, and yes going back to the other zones is important for the skill points.

If by level 40 in any game, I am forcing myself to log in, I've probably gone 30 levels beyond where I should have stopped. Forget level cap.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Loke666

the game is made for people who enjoy exploration

This is what keeps me playing it.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Istavaan

how can you out level content when you get leveled down for that zone?

It's the little tells like that, things they get horrendously wrong, (such as unlocking all your skills by level 5 as well) that lead me to believe they've never actually played the game at all.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

If by level 40 in any game, I am forcing myself to log in, I've probably gone 30 levels beyond where I should have stopped. Forget level cap.

i agree with that if within the first couple hours I don't find interest in a game I don't stick with it.. just so many games out there and obviously not all will interest me.. games nowadays really need to grab me from the get go to keep me interested, i think I just been playing games way to long so,  so many feel like the same old thing everytime and i get that been there done that feeling way to fast.. but so far GW2 is the first in a very long time I haven't had that feeling very much at all compared to many of the recent MMOs that have come out. oh Dishonered is a fun game as well:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

This game has a flat leveling cure, which was mentioned alot when it was in development. The game's not about leveling and reaching max level! 

The game allows you to be free and do what you like to gain levels. It's a game where everything you do actually pays up in XP as well.

There are no "quests" as you say. The renown heart events are usually NOT "kill 10 rats" as you like to dumb it down. You can choose to "kill X rats" but the hearts allow you to complete them with doing, usually, more than 3 things. I did most of my renown hearts without usual killing X mobs. I gathered goods, mixed potions, investigated, cheered up some soldiers, sparred with soldiers, had toasts for the brave people of the village, cleaned the lakes of infestations, collected roses and mixed them to get healing wound potion which was given to the injured soldiers, did other events which were at that location or near the location which ended up with giving me the 100% heart and a event reward, and so on and so on... 

Rift has dynamic rifts but that's a completly another level of using DEs... GW2 does it million times better (and there's nothing wrong with taking something that's poorly executed, reassemble it and pack it up into a good enviroment where it can function really well - afterall that's what WOW did and is still doing and people don't call it "it's an EQ, XX, YY ripoff" even if it did take inspiration in those games). Not only gw2 does it better but it actually DOES influence the world. You didn't reach the Orr yet so you can't see how heavily DEs affect the world. It's the best place to see what happens if nobody stands up and fights the npcs.

I think the most reviews which were written were correct because there's nothing where you can point figers and said "hah! they told us otherwise when the game was in development!" - somehting we have the chance to do almost every time a new mmorpg game is released (most recent, SWTOR. Tho, I'm still so sad and dissapointed how they ruined a game with huge potential and managed to dissapoint the fan base of SW.)

Also, you can't unlock all your skills by lvl 5. Your elite skill is unlocked on lvl 30 if I remmember correctly.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    Originally posted by Loke666

the game is made for people who enjoy exploration

This is what keeps me playing it.

My problem with this is the same as a game that's made for people that enjoy story.  Once you've seen it, you've seen it.  

Difference is, they could have made it more random, more dynamic, so that you'd never know what you'd find, no matter how many times you go through the same area.  That would be an explorer's game.. instead, it's very scripted, and I found that to be a bit of a disappointment.  It just doesn't have the longevity for me that a more dynamic gameworld would bring.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Zzad

I would suggest to slow down on events & take a look at this video to learn how to enjoy them at their full potential http://youtu.be/HTF9T4oQ480

i love how you have to watch a TUTORIAL on how to enjoy this game.

pretty much sums up gw2 or rather it's apologetic fanbase!

Originally posted by nsignific

I would suggest to slow down on events & take a look at this video to learn how to enjoy them at their full potential http://youtu.be/HTF9T4oQ480

need more than just a tutorial to really enjoy EVE yet that's not an issue.. so because not everything is this game is laid out on a silver platter that's a bad thing?

Originally posted by Aerowyn

need more than just a tutorial to really enjoy EVE yet that's not an issue.. so because not everything is this game is laid out on a silver platter that's a bad thing?

EVE is probably not the best example to use against his argument. If anything, it justifies it. Not everyone enjoyed EVE. In fact, I like GW2 better than I like EVE. (Has nothing to do with the quality of EVE, it's just not for me)

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

EVE is probably not the best example to use against his argument. If anything, it justifies it. Not everyone enjoyed EVE. In fact, I like GW2 better than I like EVE.

Whats sad is that something like that needs to be explained to begin with. To pay attention to whats happening around you, read and listen should be a given. Unfortunately though many gamers out there are trained not to. Thats more telling against other games than anything. 

EVE is probably not the best example to use against his argument. If anything, it justifies it. Not everyone enjoyed EVE. In fact, I like GW2 better than I like EVE.

EVE has a very active playerbase and is widely known as an extremly successfull game.. I myself don't care for it but that doesn't change the fact it has a steep learning curve compared to other MMOs.. My point is not everything in this game is laid out before you and to me this is a good thing.. This to me adds a lot to this game but then you point stuff like this out and they get angry because it's not blantently obvious when they play

EVE has a very active playerbase and is widely known as an extremly successfull game.. I myself don't care for it but that doesn't change the fact it has a steep learning curve compared to other MMOs.. My point is not everything in this game is laid out before you and to me this is a good thing.. This to me adds a lot to this game but then you point stuff like this out and they get angry because it's not blantently obvious when they play

No one will ever say there are too many tutorials ( so long as they aren't forced) likewise, games that lack them do get complained about. Tutorials should explain how to function in the game. They should show you mechanics. But if you need a tutorial to get you into the "proper mindset" to be able to enjoy a game, chances are, the game's not for you in the 1st place.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by GeezerGamer Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by nsignific Originally posted by Zzad   I would suggest to slow down on events & take a look at this video to learn how to enjoy them at their full potential http://youtu.be/HTF9T4oQ480
    i love how you have to watch a TUTORIAL on how to enjoy this game.   pretty much sums up gw2 or rather it's apologetic fanbase!
    No one will ever say there are too many tutorials ( so long as they aren't forced) likewise, games that lack them do get complained about. Tutorials should explain how to function in the game. They should show you mechanics. But if you need a tutorial to get you into the "proper mindset" to be able to enjoy a game, chances are, the game's not for you in the 1st place.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Jeez people, that's not a tutorial.   If you actually watched/listened to the first 30 seconds you would realize this.  It's just some guy putting his opinion in video form.  You know, similar to how posters put their opinion in text form on these forums?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

can't really argue with that:) although in this instance you can play the events without actually knowing that they all do have a story behind them whether big or small and each has some sort of start trigger which is usually started by a player.

can't really argue with that:) although in this instance you can play the events without actually knowing that they all do have a story behind them whether big or small and each has some sort of start trigger which is usually started by a player.

Sure, But really, isn't that a mechanic? Make sure that players are aware that DEs can chain or trigger?

EDIT: This is my last post on this topic since it's taking the thread off OP's topic.

Sure, But really, isn't that a mechanic? Make sure that players are aware that DEs can chain?

in a way but think the developers figured people would discover this themselves... funny because so many complaints recently is how dumbed down and drop dead easy these games are and they require nothing to "figure out" but when a game like this or like TSW offers some aspects that actually aren't just laid out and you actually have to "learn" aspects of the game people get all bent out of shape.. again like everything no one is ever happy.