Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Eternity Raises $3.9MM via Kickstarter

JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Didn't see a thread for this one but it hit the mainstream news this afternoon.
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/project-eternity-raises-3-9-million-sets-kickstarter-record-1C6522242

Comments

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I'm really happy for these guys as I have been a staunch supporter of the project.  I've missed games like this, and the kickstarter platform is how I can still get my hands on games like this. 
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

It's actually over 4.1 mil including direct paypal donations that came in before the deadline.  I imagine it will continue to grow as well.

They added so many stretch goals they have their work cut out for them.  I donated, now I have 18 looooong months to wait.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    I will be supporting them once they release their game. It's been a while since there's been a real good old-school RPG.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Don't ask me how this happened. Obsidian is such a bad developer. I think people just love tossing their money away just because. 
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Tons of money for game that is rather difficult to find detailed information on. 

You stay sassy!

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Hybrid314
    Don't ask me how this happened. Obsidian is such a bad developer. I think people just love tossing their money away just because. 

Obsidian is a dev loved by many people actually and they have a very strong following among the RPG crowd. They create very ambitious projects but buggy nontheless. It is no surprise to me they gathered such a big amount. I personally loved all their games. This is as close to a no-brainer as it gets in kickstarting an RPG.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

You see.. the mainstream games industry tells us 'this' is dead, or 'that' is, that they are archaic and outdated and not what the modern gamer wants at all...

...and then Telltale games come along and make an entire business out of supplying a previously much ignored style of game and these guys, alongside the relaunch of the enhanced Baldur's Gate, gather massive support for another much ignored style of game.

Makes you wonder what else they are plain wrong about eh?

Besides everything, I mean.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Good for them. Hopefully they use it well.
    Originally posted by revy66

Obsidian is a dev loved by many people actually and they have a very strong following among the RPG crowd. They create very ambitious projects but buggy nontheless. It is no surprise to me they gathered such a big amount. I personally loved all their games. This is as close to a no-brainer as it gets in kickstarting an RPG.

I have to question that... I mean, I get the love for Black Isle, but Obsidian?

I mean, apart from KOTR II, what are they actually loved for? NWN2? FO: NV? Dungeon Siege III? South park: The Stick of Truth??

I am actually very much behind them for this project, I should say, but I don't think their rep is as solid as you suggest. I do want more of this type of RPG made though, like I say, so my hopes are high that they can deliver.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Vesavius

I mean, apart from KOTR II, what are they actually loved for? NWN2? FO: NV? Dungeon Siege III? South park: The Stick of Truth??

I am actually very much behind them for this project, I should say, but I don't think their rep is as solid as you suggest. I do want more of this type of RPG made though, like I say, so my hopes are high that they can deliver.

Because many of those developers from Black Isle and others are now at Obsidian Entertainment. And yes, NWN:2 and FO:NV are two well received games.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Because many of those developers from Black Isle and others are now at Obsidian Entertainment. And yes, NWN:2 and FO:NV are two well received games.

I get that key developers were with the original Black Isle, which is why I mentioned it, but what I am saying is that I am not convinced that they have demonstrated much talent since with Obsidian worthy of respect or 'love'. 

NWN 2 was a disaster IMO and FO:NV owed way too much to FO3 to give much credit to Obsidian for. I just think they are being given, as company, way too much credit for past glories of another that existed a long time ago.

Still, like I say, I am not a hater or anything. I am definitely supporting this game. I guess I too am hoping that they can actually recapture the genius of something like Planescape: Torment

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

I love old school RPGs and have donated to this project. For those that still like these types of MMOs well their are a few games that still captures that old magic.

Drakensang: The Dark Eye and The River Of Time.

http://www.drakensang-dsa.com/game.php?lang=en

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ4uK58K4gU&feature=BFa&list=PL7226C4DEA14504B8

Steep learning curve but very rewarding once you grasp it, also has great crafting & open classes.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

I get that key developers were with the original Black Isle, which is why I mentioned it, but what I am saying is that I am not convinced that they have demonstrated much talent since with Obsidian worthy of respect or 'love'. 

NWN 2 was a disaster IMO and FO:NV owed way too much to FO3 to give much credit to Obsidian for. I just think they are being given, as company, way too much credit for past glories of another that existed a long time ago.

Still, like I say, I am not a hater or anything. I am definitely supporting this game. I guess I too am hoping that they can actually recapture the genius of something like Planescape: Torment

I can understand the  "what have you done for me lately" line of thought. I don't subscribe to it, but I get it. The way I see it they did a bang up job with BG, IWD, PS:T and all the versions of. They know how to do those type games and Project Eternity is going to be exactly one of those type games.

So... long history of making the product they are about to make again tailored to an audience who has played that forumla and loves it secured with money from that audience (meaning they have already sold 76K plus copies of Project Eternity already)...to me it's like taking a test that you made up yourself.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

They get my money purely from the fact they want to make a older style RPG and the people heading the project are responsible for some of the best RPG's ever created.

I mean seriously.. you're talking about people that helped create some of the most iconic RPG games ever. The simple fact that they even mentioned going in the same direction as Planescape: Torment as far as story goes had my throwing money at my screen alone. When it comes to RPG's you would be hard pressed to find more qualified people than people like Feargus Urquhart and Chris Avellone.