Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any major performance loss in dropping 1600 ram down to 1333?

RojiinRojiin Member Posts: 51

I have some mushkin sticks rated at 1600, but they become unstable when set to default.  I can drop the sticks down to 1333 and run fine without any bluescreens.  Is there any real performanc eloss there as in would it be worth it to get some new sticks that will run a rated speed?

Gigabyte 970a-ud3 mainboard

8 gigs mushkin enhanced blackline

Phenom2 960T

600 watt seasonic (cannot remember exact model its the mid tier psu)

HIS 6870 ICEQ

Win 7 Home

WD 640 Black HD

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,129
    Your processor (which contains the memory controller) only supports 1333 MHz memory anyway, so it's not entirely automatic that the memory is the thing causing the crashes at 1600 MHz.  But that's okay, because the performance difference is a rounding error, anyway.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

When I built my current machine waaaay back when, I installed the ram in the wrong configuration. The machine ran, but the ram was working at the slowest speed available to the mobo instead of the fastest speed available. I think I noticed the ram speed on the POST screen one day after buying some more ram and looked up what I bought and realized it was running at about a third of the speed it should have been running. When I went to install the new ram, I put all the sticks in the right slots and booted everything up and could not tell the difference. The POST screen showed the ram running at full speed but I really couldn't tell the difference.

I'm not even sure how I messed up putting the original sticks on the mobo, the slots are color coded and everything. I guess I was just in a hurry to play WoW at 60fps. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RojiinRojiin Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Your processor (which contains the memory controller) only supports 1333 MHz memory anyway, so it's not entirely automatic that the memory is the thing causing the crashes at 1600 MHz.  But that's okay, because the performance difference is a rounding error, anyway.

I was not aware of that!  That would explain the issue since the machine is rock stable at 1333. 

• RojiinRojiin Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by lizardbones

When I built my current machine waaaay back when, I installed the ram in the wrong configuration. The machine ran, but the ram was working at the slowest speed available to the mobo instead of the fastest speed available. I think I noticed the ram speed on the POST screen one day after buying some more ram and looked up what I bought and realized it was running at about a third of the speed it should have been running. When I went to install the new ram, I put all the sticks in the right slots and booted everything up and could not tell the difference. The POST screen showed the ram running at full speed but I really couldn't tell the difference.

I'm not even sure how I messed up putting the original sticks on the mobo, the slots are color coded and everything. I guess I was just in a hurry to play WoW at 60fps. :-)

Good advice.  I checked and rechecked that when the issue first started.