Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of mmorpg would you create? No swords or dragons allowed

Comments

• RaijukinRaijukin Member Posts: 63
    vampires / warwolves / demonhunters...
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Survivor online.

Players would have to perform tasks in some remote location as a group. Plus each day they'd have to vote for some of the group to leave, assuming not enough of them died during the day.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

But even guns and starting to turn old. Lets face it, fantasy is popular because its well liked and it tends to make the most sense. 

Still, I'd enjoy the kind of Phantasy Star Twist, taking those dinky swords and turning them into beam swords and taking medieval combat evolve into futuristic combat. Simple, I know, but its always so interesting how fresh it can make a very common system look by just twisting it in such a way.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Sandbox survival horror game that is group based.   
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    A game like mad max would be cool I guess too

Or if anyone remembers the old game interstate 76

Don't know why someone hasn't tried a mmo with a strong driving element, I guess because you move faster the world has to he bigger or something.

Darkwind: Hell on Wheels, Fallen Earth and Auto Assault have/had offered that to one degree or another. The last of the three most like that but currently no longer in operation.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Hmmmm, maybe a game based of the Road Hogs RPG.  A post appocolyptic Raod Warrior style of game that allowed us to modify vehicles and mutated animals are the races.  Make it a sandbox, a themepark just wouldn't cut it for this one.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by xkorpio
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Sci-fi / cyberpunk (Neocron / PS2 / Anarcy-Online) MMOFPS-sandbox

+ 1 million this =D (Deus Ex MMO?)

+ another million on top of that

Dues Ex World, which exists in it's own alternate realm so they can keep making awesome DX games. It wouldn't even have to be massive as long as it is a very fun game to play while interacting with atleast 4 other players.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Don't know why someone hasn't tried a mmo with a strong driving element, I guess because you move faster the world has to he bigger or something.

I've seen some good videos with mechs as vehicles.  They combine drive and shoot quite well.

I'm not sure how that would be adapted into a dungeon run.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    I would create one with shiny metal sticks that you can stab giant flying lizard like things with. Watch out for their hot lizard breath though.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    You want a prison MMO? There you go http://www.prisonserver.com/

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

But ... but... I like swords and dragons.

Anyway, I think a Victorian setting with a werewolf theme could be awesome.  I've always liked werewolves, and depending on your form, perhaps you could infiltrate places or otherwise have access to areas you wouldn't as a wolf, and I think the factions would be pretty obvious.  Maybe there would be players in your town that were actually werewolves and you wouldn't know it unless you paid attention to the community; giving you another reason to stick together.  Maybe you're questing with someone, and suddenly they attack you and it becomes PvP.... just don't get bit!

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Axes, psychics and Spinx's

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I've always thought the Shadowrun IP had the most to gain from a MMO.  A little of everything.   Then you could have... robots... and dragons... and robot dragons! 
  • Fly666monkeyFly666monkey Member UncommonPosts: 161

Science Fantasy Sandbox. Somewhat a mix of EVE and Warhammer 4000, with on-the-planet content. (Has EvE gotten around to implementing something like that? I heard rumors about it years ago.)

X-Com online, with permadeath. Each player controls one base on earth, or may control an idividual soldier.  Players must cooridinate to make sure that PC soldiers don't get themselves killed, and to help out other bases on the server. You could even do the same thing with the Aliens.

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

A huge sci-fi mmo, mechanics similar to swg in it's pre-cu form, but with several differences too.

-- the variety of "professions" with the ability to mix and match (combat and non combat professions)

-- player cities in-world, not instanced, along with server cities, built in benefits to both areas to draw players to player cities but also give veteran players a reason to hang out in server cities meeting new people; player cities would not be able to be destroyed but might have some buildings that could (forts), player cities might be able to be "taken over" (not that the new group would gain control of the individual buildings but their faction might have npcs walking the streets and the city might take on certain characteristics of what that faction's "beliefs" are, and there would be a way for the city to regain control...for example a faction that is heavy into industry takes over a faction that is more environmental friendly, the quality and types of resources in the city might change)

-- whoever "founded" a player city would determine the layout/grid of the city, designating what types of buildings/structures could be built in certain areas and who was allowed to place items, and what faction alignments the city had (belonged, friendly, neutral, hostile, etc.)

-- both land and space activity, multiple planets with new planets being added as the game went along...each planet might have different terrains with species that reflected that environment; planets would also be in various stages of development (technology/industry) and awareness of others existence including at least one planet in which there were be an outpost accessible to all but "cloaking" would need to take place beyond that outpost (think Men in Black, aliens are on earth but only the MiB are aware of their existence)

-- multiple factions, with each planet having their own factions/government/conflicts; as the game progressed one or more groups might try to move their faction control beyond their planet to rule over multiple or all planets

-- different servers would have different rule-sets and characters could not be able to transfer between the servers (ranging from no form of PvP to totally open PvP)

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Actually they did try, google up Auto Assault.... they sure tried and failed miserably!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

An MMORPG in which every one come and complain about how bad modern MMORPG's are blame WoW and cry about SWG...

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Bare with me as this is just off the top of my head... 

But I'd like to see a sandbox CCG MMO. More of a virtual world with player housing and a focus on collecting cards and social clothing and social status symbols. PvE should exist and it should be the main way to obtain cards. Crafting should exist and should allow for player housing as well as functional and decorative furniture, Crafting of some card types, social clothing, etc. 

PvP would be card duels and tournaments, you could even have 5 man teams like they do in chess. 

There should be large official tournaments held by staff that offers greater rewards than most things but it should take a good bit to recieve an invite or to obtain tournament tickets to enter these. One way would be to give points to a player for beating higher ranked players, the higher the rank of the defeated player the more points. It should cost a significant amount of points to enter so it is either win or lose and you must wait a long time to enter again. 

I like the idea of titles as well. 

Just a rough idea off the top of my head, may flesh it out more later. 

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    • A combat oriented spaceship MMO
    • Stone age survival MMO
    • Age of Sail MMO (just better than what we have now)
    • The above mentioned Road Warrior MMO (Interstate '76, Mad Max, Auto Assault, Bandits; Phoenix rising...)
    • Wild West MMO

But in all honesty, any MMO made well will do.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

An actuall mmo featuring Swords and "Dragons" (crest animal)
    no ninja stealth, no steampunk shorties, no magic, no teleportation technology, no levitation.
    An actual medieval mmo without the usual hyperbole.

Oh and you get to fight other lords and kings, europe is a pretty explosive place even without monster dragons and dire rats, orks, space-goats :)

Other than that, space shooter style featuring mechs, capital ships, armor suits and ion beams :)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I would never do such a thing.  If I was ever lucky enough to create an MMO it would most definetly be a high fantasy, elves/dwarves/orcs sort of game.  It is by far the most suited for and most fun for me style in the genre.

With that being said, my second MMO would be a post-apocalyptic MMO, set a millenia after the event that almost wiped out the Human race but one in which magic replaces technology. so i na sense it would be very Shadowrun'ish, minus the corporations in control but instead with the Churches of elemental magic in competition.  Think Fire, Water, Earth and Air as the player factions.

My 3rd MMO built would be a Midevil Sword/Bow non magic Survival game in the spirit of DayZ but the Undead as the antagonists, things like Shambling horrors, Liches, Skeleton Knights, and Mind Flayers as the baddies.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Sorry, but thats EXACTLY the kind of MMO I would create.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Love a good farming MMORPG like Harvest Moon 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• FinnMcCoolFinnMcCool Member Posts: 34

if done right i have always thought that The Saga Of The Exiles IP would make a fantastic MMO. The books even have 3 main factions in it that players could choose from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_of_Pliocene_Exile