Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dual boxing.

Ok, some of you on these forums know me.  Some may think I don't like Vanguard.  They would be wrong.  What I have always said is Vanguard is an ok game, just not great.  That being said I'm getting a bit tired of the games I am playing and Vanguard is starting to look appealing again.  It has all the elements I like good classes, flying, housing, quests (but again just felt ok for them).

Yes I still have lag issues.  Lets not talk about that.

I'm wondering if any of you dual box Vanguard and how it goes.  What would be a good combo.  I've recently actually learned how to dual box and it occurs to me that this may solve some of the population/waiting for group issues...

And I admit I like being self-sufficient.

So do you dual box?  What class combo is good?  Do you use a system like Isboxer or something else?  Is it fluid?  With 2 running is lag really bad...

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I've used Isboxer with moderate success in the past. Isboxer doesn't support Vanguard very well so expect a lot of issues trying to find the right build etc. I spent more time trying to get into a working state than actually playing the game.

That being said I recommend Disciple/Sorc combo. Here's why. With disciple being in healer stance, you can tank all the way to 50 if you keep your endowments up and your debuffs on your target. Taking on several 4 dot mobs will be easy as pie with your strength debuff and heal combos.. The sorc bringing some heavy damage will help burn the target down. Should the sorc get agro, the disc can easily keep the sorc alive doing a heal combo coupled with instant jin heals. It won't take more than a few seconds for the disc to regain agro. It shouldn't be a problem once you learn to unleash your sorc dps until the target is at least at 80% life to avoid agro. The sorc can sleep mobs and your disciple gets a CC ability as well

This combo is fast. You can pair anything with a disciple, so your best bet would be some serious dps for fast killing.

A lot of people like to use a bard as a secondary choice to avoid playing more than 1 character at a time, having it afk with dps song running. It's a decent choice but having a sorc burning down a target is a lot faster.

Other advantages to this combo,  is the tactic with using invisibility to run down to the bottom of a dungeon and use feign death/summon to get to named mobs without having to clear the way

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Thanks Starpower.  I may check this out.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well, I dont do dualboxing, but I've seen plenty of dualboxers (and even some trippleboxers) in Vanguard over the years.

Apparently theres easier and tougher choices. Most of the time, the second character was a Cleric, Shaman, or Bard. Other classes, such as Disciple, are apparently much too complex to play as secondary character.

I dont think the people really did much with the secondary character. I have a highlevel Cleric and a midlevel Shaman, and both are actually quite complicated to play. Okay, in the case of the Cleric, its also quite futile to play them correctly - he still has no dps lol. But the complexity is definitely there.

How much it helps depends of course on the main character. Specifically Warrior, the only way to level that class with any kind of comfort at all is to dualbox them, preferably with a Bear Shaman.

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515

I multi box 4 accounts all the time, ranging from my level 55 army to my little alts, through dungeons, quests, grinds you name it.

I do not suffer from lag at all and I use a combination of ISBoxer and my own macro setup for each class.

Classes I box mainly"

55 DK, 55 Tuurgin Shaman, 55 Cleric, 55 Psi - for most thing end game (I swap in and out my main 55 Rogue and sometimes a Sorc or Ranger depending on what I want to do)

Mid level alts I have 37 pally, 37 Rakuur Shaman, 37 Bard, 37 Necro

and lower levels,

Warrior, Monk, Hyatet Shaman, Bard

I run VG on a pretty beast gaming PC and run all 4 instances of VG on the same PC in window mode and as I said, without lag at all, I cap my fps at 60 on max settings and only change to medium settings for raiding on one of my high end characters.

Hope that helps :)

Originally posted by Kilsin

I multi box 4 accounts all the time, ranging from my level 55 army to my little alts, through dungeons, quests, grinds you name it.

I do not suffer from lag at all and I use a combination of ISBoxer and my own macro setup for each class.

Classes I box mainly"

55 DK, 55 Tuurgin Shaman, 55 Cleric, 55 Psi - for most thing end game (I swap in and out my main 55 Rogue and sometimes a Sorc or Ranger depending on what I want to do)

Mid level alts I have 37 pally, 37 Rakuur Shaman, 37 Bard, 37 Necro

and lower levels,

Warrior, Monk, Hyatet Shaman, Bard

I run VG on a pretty beast gaming PC and run all 4 instances of VG on the same PC in window mode and as I said, without lag at all, I cap my fps at 60 on max settings and only change to medium settings for raiding on one of my high end characters.

You forgot to add your computer specs and links to your epics

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

I have duel boxed since beta on and off. I have always had two accounts with SOE no matter what game i'm playing, i love to duel box. For Vanguard i have 3 55s and numerous other classes of all levels so i know a bit about the game and which classes are best to duel box.

I will tell you my two favorite classes to Duel box, one is the Dread Knight and the other is the Tuurgin Shammy which has a bear for a spirit pet. Shammy buffs are second only to cleric buffs but the Tuurgin Shammy has a great melee buff as well as numerous other buffs.

The Dread Knight is a great tank class and he also has an Invis skill, it does not last long but comes in handy. The bear is a very tuff tank pet and has some great buffs for Tuurgin shammy. You could go Paladin and cleric which also has some great buffs but also wears plate armour.

You can't beat a healer and a tank for duel boxing, no matter what MMO you are playing.

Hmm I still really like the bards.  How gimped would I be to make the bard my main and run a shaman off the 2nd?  Or would a tank for the 2nd be better?
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Hmm I still really like the bards.  How gimped would I be to make the bard my main and run a shaman off the 2nd?  Or would a tank for the 2nd be better?

It depends on what you want to do and how effective you want to be at it. Bards dps from 1 to 50 isn't that great if you compare and contrast it to other dps classes such as ranger for instance. Bards are great at making a group look good but doesn't really feel that extra boost themselves.

With a bard and shaman your solo options will be somewhat lacking as well. Sure you can level up and probably even do some group quests solo specially if you go bear shaman but it isn't the best setup by far. You really want a pure tank if you want to be completely independant.

Also consider how fast you want to advance. Some combos are a lot slower than others. Paladin+Cleric/shaman for example is probably one of the slowest combos you can make.

If you are thinking the bard can tank while the shaman heals then forget the majority of the group quest lines such as CiS quest line that starts at 21

Hmm so the pure tanks are paladin and dreadknight right?  monk and disciple too?
    Hmm so the pure tanks are paladin and dreadknight right?  monk and disciple too?

Paladin is a great tank, some would say the best but monk is not the same imo and disciple is a healer.

Tank choice Warrior, Dread Knight, Pally and Monk, i would choose Dread Knight or Pally.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Paladin is a great tank, some would say the best but monk is not the same imo and disciple is a healer.

Tank choice Warrior, Dread Knight, Pally and Monk, i would choose Dread Knight or Pally.

Dreadknights are the way to go if you're planning on tanking lots of multiple mobs. IMO they can solo much better and faster because they have a higher surviveability. Any healer class would be fine to combo with the DK. You just have to control aggro well. With the DK's AoE abilities they can control aggro much better compared to the Pally, but the Pally can hold aggro much better if you're jsut planning to take on 2 or 3 mobs at a time.

I would recommend getting a Disciple, but its hard to play both tank and dps/healer, same goes for bloodmage. Most of their abilities rely on doing damage to heal the tank. So its either a shaman or cleric.

Originally posted by csthao

Dreadknights are the way to go if you're planning on tanking lots of multiple mobs. IMO they can solo much better and faster because they have a higher surviveability. Any healer class would be fine to combo with the DK. You just have to control aggro well. With the DK's AoE abilities they can control aggro much better compared to the Pally, but the Pally can hold aggro much better if you're jsut planning to take on 2 or 3 mobs at a time.

I would recommend getting a Disciple, but its hard to play both tank and dps/healer, same goes for bloodmage. Most of their abilities rely on doing damage to heal the tank. So its either a shaman or cleric.

I two box with DK and Tuurgin shammy, i do have a Disciple but shit can hit the fan if  things get sticky. For me it's Tuurgin or Cleric but i prefer Tuurgin because of the pet which can off tank mobs while DK tank other mobs.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    Originally posted by csthao

I two box with DK and Tuurgin shammy, i do have a Disciple but shit can hit the fan if  things get sticky. For me it's Tuurgin or Cleric but i prefer Tuurgin because of the pet which can off tank mobs while DK tank other mobs.

Yeah the Turgin shaman compliments any class very well. Throw your dots let your pet off tank some and just focus healing. They are also good with their ability to slow the monsters attack speed as well. It makes things a lot easier to control.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by Kilsin

I would hope you could get 60 fps in a window that's probably 480*270 or less...

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.