Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Question about mixing HyperX RAM...

MoeMoeKyunMoeMoeKyun Member UncommonPosts: 82

i currently got Kingston Technology Hyper X 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM KHX1600C9D3/4G on my rig... i still got empty 3 RAM slots on my motherboard... i wnna add some punch w/ it since Kingston Hyper X Blu 8 GB (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 XMP Desktop Memory - KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX is on sale... i wonder if these two works fine together... i jus nid a quick clarification on ram before i buy it...

and... should i get this? http://www.amazon.com/Viewsonics-VA2703-27-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B005ZT5C2M/ref=br_lf_m_1000840721_1_6_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&pf_rd_p=1405605282&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000840721&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1FW5ZKMR6E2YFX9E3J0H

or jus go LED all teh way... :O

my 4 yr. old 24" monitor doesnt really fit in to my rig... i jus nid some upgrades while theyre on sale today... :X

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

So long as it's all DDR3 non-ECC memory (ECC is for servers) and the same length slots, it should be able to work together just fine.  It's just a question of at what specs.  There are two standard lengths of DDR3 memory slots, with one meant for desktops and the other for laptops.  The one meant for laptops is used on some Mini ITX (very small) or smaller desktop boards to save space, but pretty much all other DDR3 desktop motherboards use the length meant for desktops.

Different modules may be rated at different clock speeds, different timings, or whatever.  So long as you try to run it at the lowest clock speed and the highest timings (slowest settings in both cases) that any of the modules can handle, it should be fine.

There's also the issue of voltage.  1.5 V is the stock voltage for DDR3.  Higher voltages generally let you run the memory at higher clock speeds, just like with processors.  If the memory is all rated at 1.5 V, then you can just run it at 1.5 V and ignore the voltages.  If it's rated at something else, you could try running it at 1.5 V and seeing if it works, but it's plausible that you'll have to reduce the clock speed from the rated speed to get it to work at 1.5 V.

You want to make sure that you match the memory channels properly.  Most modern desktop and laptop architectures have two memory channels, which means that you want either two memory modules (one for each channel) or four modules (two for each channel).  Either way, all of the modules should be exactly the same capacity.  Mismatching memory channels means that your memory bandwidth takes a substantial hit.  This won't completely cripple performance in most cases unless you're using integrated graphics, but it's still undesirable.

There are some exceptions that don't have two memory channels.  If you've got an AMD Brazos (E- or C- series) or Intel Atom, then that has only a single memory channel, so it will probably only have either one or two memory slots.  If you have an Intel Bloomfield or Gulftown (Core i7-9**) system, then that has three memory channels, and the motherboards usually come with six memory slots.  If you have a Sandy Bridge-E system (Core i7-38** or -39**), then that has four memory channels, and the motherboards usually come with four or eight memory slots.

Pretty much anything else that uses DDR3 (AMD A-series, FX-series, Phenom II, Athlon II, Intel Celeron, Pentium, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7-8**, Core i7-2***, or Core i7-37**) has two memory channels.

• MoeMoeKyunMoeMoeKyun Member UncommonPosts: 82

thx replying... it's liek am waitin for ages for an answer... here's my specs...

Thermaltake GT10 case
    Intel Core i7 980 @ 3.3 GHz (6 Cores)
    GigaByte G1.Sniper Intel X58 Motherboard
    HIS Ati Radeon 7970
    12GB HyperX DDR3 RAM (1600)
    2TB HDD (7200 rpm)
    Coolermaster Silent PRO Gold 1200 watts PSU

i already ordered Kingston HyperX 3K 240 GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive SH103S3/240G as well...

That's a Gulftown system, which never was common for gaming because it's a $1000 processor with no real gaming advantages (though it does have advantages in some other programs) over a $300 processor.  But it does mean that it has three memory channels, so you want either three or six memory modules in total, and all the same size.  If you have one and bought two more, then you should be fine.

upper part:

lower part:

Originally posted by Quizzical
    That's a Gulftown system, which never was common for gaming because it's a $1000 processor with no real gaming advantages (though it does have advantages in some other programs) over a $300 processor.  But it does mean that it has three memory channels, so you want either three or six memory modules in total, and all the same size.  If you have one and bought two more, then you should be fine.

am actually tryin to buy jus 1 set (listed as 2x4GB modules) w/c means i will get 5 slots taken + 1 slot empty... does it work fine? where other 1 doesn't have a pair...

i actually bought my system randomly (lol me) coz it was on promo at that time...

i also nid teh advantages between LED & non-LED LCD monitor...

Am I wrong to assume that you bought the computer a couple of years ago and only upgraded the video card more recently?  The processor was obsolete before the video card launched.

If you've got Windows 7 Home Premium, then that won't recognize more than 16 GB of system memory, no matter how much you physically put in.

If you add two more modules to make five in total, then that will mismatch the memory channels, which hurts your memory bandwidth.  The reduced bandwidth won't actually matter much unless you're doing something unusual.  But the increased memory capacity likewise won't matter unless you're doing something unusual.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Am I wrong to assume that you bought the computer a couple of years ago and only upgraded the video card more recently?  The processor was obsolete before the video card launched.

If you've got Windows 7 Home Premium, then that won't recognize more than 16 GB of system memory, no matter how much you physically put in.

If you add two more modules to make five in total, then that will mismatch the memory channels, which hurts your memory bandwidth.  The reduced bandwidth won't actually matter much unless you're doing something unusual.  But the increased memory capacity likewise won't matter unless you're doing something unusual.

yeah, i run win7 home... if i can only get max 16GB in that case, i'll jus pass this thing then thx...