Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slowing down can change the game completely

13»

Comments

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

On Ehmry Bay, Gandarron Fields, 2 SP's, the underwater one with Willo/Millo, as well the one at the Lumbermill near Vigil Keep, did them both on my Ranger a few weeks ago, both have been awol for a week now. Sparkfly Fen,  the underwater Shark SP sharks get stuck and won't become attackable, couldn't get it to start then an hour later it worked fine then another hour later people were shouting it was busted again.

Then the invuln troubles are with regular mobs, much of the game is on hill slopes, yet occasionaly a slight Z axis difference and the mob goes Invuln and resets, well partially resets.

No game is perfect, much as it may want to claim it is :) but things like these issues that get reported and no comment is forthcoming are a bit disheartening.

As well, couldn't they have found a better solution to some bugged item dropping than "That content is currently Disabled..."

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlay

On Ehmry Bay, Gandarron Fields, 2 SP's, the underwater one with Willo/Millo, as well the one at the Lumbermill near Vigil Keep, did them both on my Ranger a few weeks ago, both have been awol for a week now. Sparkfly Fen,  the underwater Shark SP sharks get stuck and won't become attackable, couldn't get it to start then an hour later it worked fine then another hour later people were shouting it was busted again.

Then the invuln troubles are with regular mobs, much of the game is on hill slopes, yet occasionaly a slight Z axis difference and the mob goes Invuln and resets, well partially resets.

No game is perfect, much as it may want to claim it is :) but things like these issues that get reported and no comment is forthcoming are a bit disheartening.

As well, couldn't they have found a better solution to some bugged item dropping than "That content is currently Disabled..."

There are  lot of bugged SPs now and DEs are starting to get worse too. I think a big part of it is they have pulled back from their launch mentality and staffing so they haven't been patching as frequently which means the servers don't reset as often which makes the bugs stick around for much longer than they did a couple weeks ago when they were patching everyday.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Good video and I point I made when people were complaining about various issuess during early access

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

That people don't stick around to watch the NPC talk runs counter to the going theory that players want storyline and themepark in MMOs.

So with all due respect to the video producer and supporters, no we're not playing it wrong. The simple scripted AI isn't a challenge, the stories are mostly boring, and the themepark world that you have only a mild and temporary influence over isn't interesting.  For that we can watch a movie, and not bother with all the meaninless typing and clicking.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

You know what I think would help a lot?  If GW2 offered an event chain completion bonus.  It may be sad to some that such a bonus would be necessary to lure some people to play through whole chains, but I believe it is necessary nonetheless.

I think you can divide players into 3 categories in this regard: those who completely take their time and immerse themselves in the story while levleing, those who have learned to view it as "leveling" and, thus, only see events as a means to an end, and those who fall somewhere in between, who may want to enjoy the story of events, but who feel tugged away from the slower parts of dialogue by the lure of faster exp or events that are going on NOW elsewhere.  

For the second type of player, you'll never get them to stop and absorb the story.  And that's fine.  They will play the game how they enjoy it.  But for the 3rd group of people, adding a somewhat substantial chain completion bonus would help incentivize them to continue to seek out the next step in a potential chain, rather than rush onward to a new area.   

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Homitu

You know what I think would help a lot?  If GW2 offered an event chain completion bonus.  It may be sad to some that such a bonus would be necessary to lure some people to play through whole chains, but I believe it is necessary nonetheless.

I think you can divide players into 3 categories in this regard: those who completely take their time and immerse themselves in the story while levleing, those who have learned to view it as "leveling" and, thus, only see events as a means to an end, and those who fall somewhere in between, who may want to enjoy the story of events, but who feel tugged away from the slower parts of dialogue by the lure of faster exp or events that are going on NOW elsewhere.  

For the second type of player, you'll never get them to stop and absorb the story.  And that's fine.  They will play the game how they enjoy it.  But for the 3rd group of people, adding a somewhat substantial chain completion bonus would help incentivize them to continue to seek out the next step in a potential chain, rather than rush onward to a new area.   

not a bad idea:) think a lot of the issues are they are trying to cater to both sides of the fence on this issue but obviously not enough on each it seems.. me personally would love to of played it before they even added the hearts into the game.. but if they didn't have the hearts many people would probably be going crazy about not being able to find quests to do and such.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Rhianni32Rhianni32 Member Posts: 222

There is a LOT more to the game if people stop to listen to the NPCs around them talking and then follow them. Found quite a few new events this way.

It may give that quest type feel to some of the people who feel the game lacks it. 

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by solarine

As for the "lack of indication" of upcoming chain steps...

That's actually one of the few things I like about DEs. GW2 is much too UI heavy (as in, full of indicators) in the first place, and this one feature always seemed to be one of the more "natural" elements of the game to me. I think it's more immersive this way, and it keeps some sense of mystery (which is good for storytelling).

Also, it encourages you to pay attention to what's going on in the world, rather than the UI. Which is good, right? :)

A problem is that GW2 wants to eat the cake but keep it too. It would have been better if they had focused on one paradigm and made an extensive tutorial. For instance, they could have removed almost all markers on the map for all players and instead make an extensive tutorial about how exploration can look like and how a DE and discovering its other "hidden" parts can look like.  But, since they didn't have the balls to go that path, they have this messy compromise instead.